BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4725832

User image

New user

Colorado
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
So this may be a stupid question, but are there restrictions on the type of swim stroke you can do or is it just a free swim?  For example, can I do a backstroke when I get tired?

2013-05-12 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran

As far as I know of, no there is no restriction. However while doing the backstroke it will get hard to stay on course and not make contact with people. When I'm tired during a swim I will often roll onto my side with my arm that is in the water fully extended foward and my other arm held loosley agaist my side. Then I can softly kick my feet so I can rest while maintaining some forward motion and still stay on course. Hope this helps.

Beth

2013-05-12 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4738952

User image

New user

Colorado
Hubbie - 2013-05-12 6:02 PM

As far as I know of, no there is no restriction. However while doing the backstroke it will get hard to stay on course and not make contact with people. When I'm tired during a swim I will often roll onto my side with my arm that is in the water fully extended foward and my other arm held loosley agaist my side. Then I can softly kick my feet so I can rest while maintaining some forward motion and still stay on course. Hope this helps.

Beth

Great advice. Thank you!
2013-05-12 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4738840

User image

New user
Taringa - 2013-05-12 5:48 PM

corbetjackson50 - 2013-05-13 6:15 AM My workouts have gone south after my wife has became ill. She had an ear infection that ended up causing a ruptured eardrum. Now her other ear is bothering her too! she is on her fourth type of antibiotic that doesn't seem to help she's had two shots and been prescribed painkillers for the pain. She has been to the emergency room once and the urgent treatment center three times since Monday. Bless her heart not a good mothers day for her. I hope.she gets.better soon! meanwhile my training is going to be sub par. I plan to do what i can though!

Oh no! Sympathy to you both, and I hope she gets better soon.

2013-05-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4738884

User image

New user
KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-12 6:40 PMSo, I did my first bike ride with my new pedals yesterday.  I had never ridden attached to my bike before, so I was a little nervous.  I had also never ridden on the actual road with traffic, I have always done paved bike trails so I don't have to deal with cars.  I would say it was successful; I did fall once when a car passed rather close and I dropped off the pavement.  It was actually kind of good as I am not as afraid to fall now.  Pedal on!!

No fear!!

2013-05-12 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4738888

User image

Veteran
Louisville

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-12 6:47 PM So this may be a stupid question, but are there restrictions on the type of swim stroke you can do or is it just a free swim?  For example, can I do a backstroke when I get tired?

No restrictions that I know of but to be honest with you there were a couple backstrokers in my tri that quite literally ran over me because they didn't see me which terrified both of us. It wasn't pretty. I flipped to my back to breathe in my first OWS and kicked but didn't use my arms. I also was told by some veterans to learn breastroke and that has helped tremendously. I'm not great at it but the motion allows me to calm down, sight better and take some breaths. 

2013-05-12 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4738337

User image

Extreme Veteran

iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-11 11:26 PM Did my first 5K tonight (GLOWRun). Good, silly times were had by all! Couldn't run/walk as much as I wanted since most of the path was big gravel. Completed in 50:03. Now I have a starting point to work with

Dawn, glad to hear that you had a good time and you can't beat having a good time and still getting in a workout.Wink

2013-05-12 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4738759

User image

Extreme Veteran
MJSolt - 2013-05-12 2:22 PM Ok… what do you guys think about this bike?

http://giordanobicycles.com/giordano-1-6-libero-mens.html

It's $450 at my LBS with 6 month free maintenance. I was looking at a Specialized Allez Compact with essentially the same components for $300 more.

Mike, I can't speak to the brand, but an 8 speed does not give you a very extended choice of gears.  I know it does not matter but the other thing to take into consideration if the resale value of the two.  I am sure that the Specialized with have a much higher value when you go to sell it.  The most important thing those as I mentioned before is FIT.  I do like the fact thought that you plan to purchase from a LBS.  You got to know what you want and like becuase you have to ride it.  I will say however though that if you rush to purchase something just to have it, you will likely want something else much quicker. 

2013-05-12 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4738884

User image

Extreme Veteran

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-12 5:40 PM So, I did my first bike ride with my new pedals yesterday.  I had never ridden attached to my bike before, so I was a little nervous.  I had also never ridden on the actual road with traffic, I have always done paved bike trails so I don't have to deal with cars.  I would say it was successful; I did fall once when a car passed rather close and I dropped off the pavement.  It was actually kind of good as I am not as afraid to fall now.  Pedal on!!

Kara, glad to hear that you are alright after your first spill.  Also that Zombie run is one of the cooler ones that I have heard of.  Sounds like a good time.

2013-05-12 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Corbet,

sorry to hear that she is still fighting the fight.  Don't worry about the workouts right now, take care of family.  The workouts will be there when she gets better and we will be here all the way through it with you.  Prays sent for her speedy recovery.

2013-05-12 9:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-12 5:47 PM So this may be a stupid question, but are there restrictions on the type of swim stroke you can do or is it just a free swim?  For example, can I do a backstroke when I get tired?

Kara, as Beth said there are no rules against what stroke you chose to use.  As she stated though the backstroke would likely be the toughest to use and still be on the right line.  Most peopel will switch to a breast stroke because you can breath easier and still see everything in front of you.

2013-05-12 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Now that I have commented on just about everything,  Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's in the group.

Second, we made it through the first week and still seem to be intact, some are posting more than others but everyone seems to be staying involved one way or the other.  Remember to LOG YOUR WORKOUTS.

First Challenge for the Group,

Do something log able for at least fifteen minutes, 5 of the 7 days this upcoming week.  Try to make at least three of the five, one of the three tri disciplines.  The days can be walking, bowling, archery, strength, whatever you wish, just do at least fifteen minutes five days this week, and LOG IT (you will find a list of Sports in the Training log to chose from).  This will help you get use to doing something active on a regular bases (developing a routine) and will get you in the habit of logging.

2013-05-12 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4739095

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-12 10:25 PM
MJSolt - 2013-05-12 2:22 PM Ok… what do you guys think about this bike?

http://giordanobicycles.com/giordano-1-6-libero-mens.html

It's $450 at my LBS with 6 month free maintenance. I was looking at a Specialized Allez Compact with essentially the same components for $300 more.

Mike, I can't speak to the brand, but an 8 speed does not give you a very extended choice of gears.  I know it does not matter but the other thing to take into consideration if the resale value of the two.  I am sure that the Specialized with have a much higher value when you go to sell it.  The most important thing those as I mentioned before is FIT.  I do like the fact thought that you plan to purchase from a LBS.  You got to know what you want and like becuase you have to ride it.  I will say however though that if you rush to purchase something just to have it, you will likely want something else much quicker. 

I appreciate the info as buying a bike, within a budget, is a giant pain in the . I pretty much have $500 to spend on the bike. Ive been to most of the LBS here in the area and they don't have any name brand bikes in the price range new or used.

Craigslist and eBay seem to be a complete waste as very few entry model bikes are available, so it seems. Ideally I'd be able to find at least a 20 speed bike, that fits and is within my budget. I am to beginning to take the stance of if it fits and is withing my budget I can deal with a 16 speed.

It's not that I am in a rush I just don't like to wait. Lol.

The LBS said that I can trade in any bike bought, within two years, for 50% what I paid. Not sure if that is a great deal, but I know with an "off brand" thats about the best I can do.

I did ride a Specialized Aleez Elite and it was great.... for $1100

2013-05-12 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you ride it, like it, and it fits, then I think you'll be fine. The 50% back is a great deal and currently not something you could find around here. The gears are what they are and you can get use to whatever range it gives you. If you like it, I love it as long as it Fits!
2013-05-13 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-12 6:47 PM

So this may be a stupid question, but are there restrictions on the type of swim stroke you can do or is it just a free swim?  For example, can I do a backstroke when I get tired?

No restrictions. I say do what is comfortable but always move forward. I freestyle to each buoy, then I breaststroke the length of the buoy to rest and sight, then repeat until I am out. One of my swim buddies hates putting her face in the water otherswise she hyperventilates which brings on n athsma attack. She learned to breaststroke with her head above water and that is what she does. She's faster than me!!

Theonly restriction may be time. My local tri gives you an hour to finish the swim. Definitely double check on any time restrictions.
2013-05-13 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Saturday I did my first official unofficial 5k run. It was the Color Run 5k Baltimore. I say unofficial because it was "the happiest 5K on earth" as it advertises. It was untimed with no winners. It was unorganized and not enough race officials to tell you where to go and according to my Garmin, the course was 2.8 miles. It still had it fun moments though.

It was nice running with my friend, her family came out to support us. I run walked 5/4 intervals but my entire left foot was a little sore the entire time. Afterwards, it was painfully sore.
I think I have to be pull back just a little which is hard for me but I need to heal well.

Congratulations to all those who race their first sprint tri, 5k and fastest 5K. Doesn't it feel great when you hit a goal. WooHoo to all of us!!

BTW, I posted this yesterday but I think it disappeared into cyberspace

2013-05-13 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4739462

User image

Lovey - 2013-05-13 9:20 AM

Saturday I did my first official unofficial 5k run. It was the Color Run 5k Baltimore. I say unofficial because it was "the happiest 5K on earth" as it advertises. It was untimed with no winners. It was unorganized and not enough race officials to tell you where to go and according to my Garmin, the course was 2.8 miles. It still had it fun moments though.

It was nice running with my friend, her family came out to support us. I run walked 5/4 intervals but my entire left foot was a little sore the entire time. Afterwards, it was painfully sore.
I think I have to be pull back just a little which is hard for me but I need to heal well.

Congratulations to all those who race their first sprint tri, 5k and fastest 5K. Doesn't it feel great when you hit a goal. WooHoo to all of us!!

BTW, I posted this yesterday but I think it disappeared into cyberspace

I participated (wont exactly say "ran") in one of these events a couple weeks ago. Its actually were my current profile pic came from, I ended up completing the 5k with our 2 year old on my back (literally!). I would agree with most of what your saying - it was a nice day and good to see people getting some exercise in, all while smiling. Not exactly for me though, my sense of unhealthy competition makes it tough for me sometimes when there arent clocks etc involved.

Oh - and trying to get the "Happy" temp tattoo off my calve seemed to take 2 weeks :/
2013-05-13 8:50 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-12 6:47 PM So this may be a stupid question, but are there restrictions on the type of swim stroke you can do or is it just a free swim?  For example, can I do a backstroke when I get tired?

I'm glad you asked this question! I was wondering the same thing. I am taking my first swim lesson this evening and I'd imagine we will concentrate on the front crawl.

2013-05-13 11:12 AM

User image

I ran/walked the color me rad 5k a couple months ago with my 3yr old. She actually ran or jogged most of the way. She had a blast. It was a lot of fun!
2013-05-13 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Corbet honesty is very important in this group,

You say that she was out in front of you, but the evidence in the photograph clearly shows that you used her as a color shield.  You should be ashamedTongue out

2013-05-13 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4739861

, Alabama

Ha ha cute pic Corbet but i agree you used the kid as a shield - shame on you Wink

2013-05-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4740162

User image

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-13 2:20 PM

Corbet honesty is very important in this group,

You say that she was out in front of you, but the evidence in the photograph clearly shows that you used her as a color shield.  You should be ashamedTongue out

lol i held her hand most of the way and yes i made sure she was closest to the color bombers. I even told them to get her.... she was the youngest participant i saw there. Now every time i go for a run she expects me to come home with colors on me. about the only time she walked was after she got hit so she could see what color she got lol
2013-05-13 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Hi all. Just wanted to let you all know that I likely won't be logging this week. My hip has really been bothering me since my race on Saturday (possibly bursitis) and my boyfriend of 3 years' mother passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning so I'll be heading to Michigan tomorrow to help him with arrangements. So between resting my hip and dealing with him and his family I probably won't get much done. I also probably won't be on here but I'll do my best to catch up when I get back. Good luck on all your workouts and if anyone is racing this week!
2013-05-13 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4740423

User image

Extreme Veteran

Rnay225 - 2013-05-13 3:21 PM Hi all. Just wanted to let you all know that I likely won't be logging this week. My hip has really been bothering me since my race on Saturday (possibly bursitis) and my boyfriend of 3 years' mother passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning so I'll be heading to Michigan tomorrow to help him with arrangements. So between resting my hip and dealing with him and his family I probably won't get much done. I also probably won't be on here but I'll do my best to catch up when I get back. Good luck on all your workouts and if anyone is racing this week!

Rennay, sorry for yalls lose and to hear about your injury.  Take care of family and heal up. 

2013-05-13 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran

So it’s my turn to brag in the group here.

For the past several months I’ve been stuck at a plateau
with the weights. I know that a lot of people don’t lift here but I enjoy it
and it helps me with my job. Anyway a few days ago I was able to bust through
my limit and knocked the workout out of the park! Then I did it again the next
day, and again today!!! I’m so happy I’ve not only improved my overall strength
but also can now safety move up a weight set.  Ok and on a related note I love it when new
guys take a double take when they see me lift (I bench 115 lbs and squat 200
lbs).

Beth

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45