BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-05-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - OPENED
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

This is my race report from last weekend's Xterra. It was a bust.
I have some type of health problem that needs to be sorted out.

I haven't trained since Monday. Last night I tried a little bit of a circuit in the gym. The first time I tried 1 of the stations and went anaerobic (just 1 minute) my body freaked out. Once I stopped my oxygen debt kept getting worse for the next 30+ seconds and I couldn't even think about starting the next station for over a minute. So I bailed on that and just did straight up weights for a while.

Dr. has taken a lot of blood and waiting on results.

2013-05-23 1:41 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by JeffY
Originally posted by trigal38 Jenn your race sounds brutal! I have a hard enough time trying not to hurt myself running along the sidewalk, I don't know how you managed with all of that other stuff going on. Congratulations! Looking for some input about my flat yesterday. I found the hole in the tube. There was no recognizable puncture in the tire when I matched it up and the hole was just a tiny one right in the seam of the tube. I found it by putting air in the tube then putting the tube in the sink filled with water and even after I knew where the hole was I still couldn't see it. I could see the bubbles of air in the water and then feel where the air was coming out of the tube but I couldn't see the hole at all it was so tiny. So I'm wondering if this was maybe just an old tube that has seen better days or is there something else I should be aware of? I've had these tubes and tires on the bike ever since I bought it (January 2011). I pumped the tires up to about 95 PSI on race day. Dirk as far as putting on the wetsuit - I went through a lot to make sure I had it on to the best possible fit. I mean I sprayed myself with cooking spray one section at a time (below the knee, thighs, left arm then right arm) AND used plastic bags over my feet and hands to get it on. It actually went on better than it ever has and I felt pretty good warming up. I don't know how to explain it other than it just makes my arms tired! Maybe I've still got a bad fit or I just need a sleeveless. My attitude is actually better since the race than it was before! I did not even decide that I was going to go until Saturday afternoon so I really had zero expectations other than hoping this would help my race motivation. Obviously flatting out just leaves you wanting more . And it was really great to catch up with all of my local racing friends.
I think your flat might just have been a manufacturing defect. It really sounds like the vulcanization of the rubber at that seem let go. Your arms getting tired was due to the suit restricting circulation and allowing buildup of lactic acid. It could be that it is too tight in the upper arms or shoulder area (arm pits?). It could be that you focused on getting the lower part of the suit on right, but not the upper part. Did you work the sleeves up your arm to the point that you had wrinkles at the shoulders? You should. Also, when you got in the water did you pull open the neck of the suit and let a bunch of water run in to your suit there? Then did you hold open the sleeves of each arm and let water in to the arms of the suit? That step is important in relaxing the neoprene. And final step when putting it on is to leave the back of the suit tight. When you have someone zip you up, you should have to pinch your shoulder blades together in the back for the zipper to zip up. The feel will be one of having your shoulders pulled back by a rubber band. This actually gives you an assist in lifting the arms out of the water for the recovery with each stroke.

Yes to all of that about the wetsuit EXCEPT the zipping. I got in, let the water in through my neck, pulled at the wrists and let water in, swam a warm up, got out, let it all drain and repeated it all again. It was the best this particular suit has ever felt but that is not saying much because it usually feels like I can't move at all! I'll remember the tip about zipping it for next time and see if that helps.

2013-05-23 1:47 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by JeffY http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?... This is my race report from last weekend's Xterra. It was a bust. I have some type of health problem that needs to be sorted out. I haven't trained since Monday. Last night I tried a little bit of a circuit in the gym. The first time I tried 1 of the stations and went anaerobic (just 1 minute) my body freaked out. Once I stopped my oxygen debt kept getting worse for the next 30+ seconds and I couldn't even think about starting the next station for over a minute. So I bailed on that and just did straight up weights for a while. Dr. has taken a lot of blood and waiting on results.

YIKES!!! You had something pop up last year that you had to have tests for too if I remember correctly? Keep us posted. Hate to read about any of the Junkies struggling with health problems. You know I'm a bit of a worrier.

2013-05-23 1:50 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member
Thanks everyone for all the tips on how to care for my wet bike. I did use wet lube when I was cleaning in Saturday. I'll get to work on it shortly. Hope I didn't wait too long!
2013-05-23 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Race Pacing

Originally posted by strikyr

One of the things we often talk about is race pacing and how even splits is almost always ideal. The complicator there comes when the course throws terrain changes at you. In that case it's not the pace that must stay constant but the effort (sort of). I say 'sort of' because as the race goes on, keeping that even pace gets gradually harder until it's all you can do to maintain it through the end of the race.

Anyway, here was a blog entry from the Swim Smooth gang that talks about just that. I thought you all might get some value from it.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/05/the-gradual-crescendo.html

Jeff thanks for posting this is a good article and makes sense. I had conversation when out riding this weekend with one of the guys who has done IM and we were talking about pacing yourself on the bike leg. One thing he mentioned was that he felt that depending on how your legs are feeling during the race is a very poor indicator of measuring your effort. I know Warren touched on the importance of bike fitness with Matt and he said the the same thing to me. He really emphasized how important the bike leg is during IM.

In regards to pacing though he felt the best way to measure that on the bike was with the power meter, trying to stay in your predetermined zone to race in. His feeling was that you can go out too hard and feel that your effort is easy and that when you think your too tired you may not be pushing hard enough. Now I know you the power meter might be the best way to measure your effort and I know you can do the same with HR but I was sort of counting on going on feel as well with my pacing. What's your thought on that?

The powermeter can be a great way to pace. The advantage is that if your perceived exertion is off that day, which it likely will be for a variety of reasons, then you won't screw up the race. A disadvantage is that if you really are having a bad day you will blow up because you are holding a pace you can't handle that day. And vice-versa, if you are having a great day then you can't rise to the occasion as much because you are holding yourself back too much.
But by far the more likely scenario is that you will screw up the pacing and the PM saves you. This requires that you and/or your coach have done the homework needed to really know what kind of power you can hold for 112 miles and then still run a decent marathon. Obviously not easy to determine short of having done a variety of IM races with different pacing strategies!

HR is not better. HR varies a lot in some people from day to day. You may be taking in a larger than usual amount of caffeine, you certainly have a larger than usual amount of adrenaline and the temperature varies your HR too. But all in all, HR can be used as a good mechanism to help ensure you don't blow up. If anything, it's probably going to run higher than normal which would slow you down on the ride. Then it could leave you with a faster than expected marathon that makes up for it.

What's the best way to pace? I would suggest that it's by perceived exertion when your experience level is relatively high. Not only in training but in racing situations where everything feels different. So do 2-3 IMs a year and in 3 years you're ready to accurately pace through that means!

So what should you do until then? If you have a PM, use it. Also use your HR. Also use perceived exertion and your speedometer. Use them all together to paint a picture of your relative performance and ensure you don't go too hard.

Jeff I appreciate the feedback and advice. My friend has actually offered to loan me a power meter to train with and use for the IM. I should probably take him up on the offer since I won't be doing 2 or 3 IM's a year ever!
2013-05-23 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
For those you who are considering IMWI for 2014 you can get guaranteed entry to it. See below got the email last night about this it will just require a recruiting effort on your part.

Refer 4 to Iron Girl® and Get Guaranteed Entry for IRONMAN® Wisconsin!

As IRONMAN athletes, you inspire everyone around you. From fellow triathletes to those friends and family that show up to cheer you across your finish-line. IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3, we are all equally effected by what you have pushed yourselves to accomplish. We want to reward you for motivating the women in your life by giving you guaranteed entry to the 2014 IRONMAN Wisconsin when you refer four (4) athletes to the Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich, IL Triathlon on Sunday, June 16, 2013.

To take advantage of this great offer, get four (4) women to register for the Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich, IL. ** Make sure they fill out your name when they register on Active.com under the ‘referral box’. Once you have four (4) referrals, please email [email protected] to arrange your guaranteed entry with IRONMAN Athlete Services.

Click here to register today!

2013-05-23 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by JeffY http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?... This is my race report from last weekend's Xterra. It was a bust. I have some type of health problem that needs to be sorted out. I haven't trained since Monday. Last night I tried a little bit of a circuit in the gym. The first time I tried 1 of the stations and went anaerobic (just 1 minute) my body freaked out. Once I stopped my oxygen debt kept getting worse for the next 30+ seconds and I couldn't even think about starting the next station for over a minute. So I bailed on that and just did straight up weights for a while. Dr. has taken a lot of blood and waiting on results.

I wondered how things were going after reading your FB post from the race.  This report seems to shed a little better light on just how long you suffered through the race but, obviously, leaves many questions unanswered.

Frankly, the pic of you on the cot is a little disconcerting. 

Besides the medic punching the IV, I noticed your toes pointing at your knees, which supports your cramping problems.  Your face is flushed and makes me wonder about heat exhaustion.  Did the medics have any problems getting a vein?  If so that would seem to indicate severe dehydration.  You've not given any indication of HR during the race or after or if you were had rapid breathing patterns.

Obviously, I hope things are going alright right now but, more importantly, I hope they figure out what happened and you can begin to address the issue.

2013-05-23 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

I haven't trained since Monday. Last night I tried a little bit of a circuit in the gym. The first time I tried 1 of the stations and went anaerobic (just 1 minute) my body freaked out. Once I stopped my oxygen debt kept getting worse for the next 30+ seconds and I couldn't even think about starting the next station for over a minute. So I bailed on that and just did straight up weights for a while.

Hopefully the doc can figure out what's wrong and quick. Doesn't sound good, hopefully it's something that can easily be fixed.
2013-05-23 5:02 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Looking for some advice. I'm looking at picking up a aero helmet. I'm kind of torn between the giro select II and the giro air attack shield. The select would be a little more aero, but after having them on, the air attack is way more comfortable, but looks a little more dorky,.......as far as aero helmets go. Any opinions?
2013-05-23 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Jeff I just read the race report and didn't realize just how tough a race you had it's amazing you were able to do as well as you did and still finish especially after the two bike crashes. It's pretty scary to see you on a cot in the medical tent certainly not where you expected to be after the race.I hope everything turns out alright for you and that it's not anything serious.
2013-05-23 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Looking for some advice. I'm looking at picking up a aero helmet. I'm kind of torn between the giro select II and the giro air attack shield. The select would be a little more aero, but after having them on, the air attack is way more comfortable, but looks a little more dorky,.......as far as aero helmets go. Any opinions?

Derek I'm no expert and I'm actually looking to pick one up myself. I wouldn't worry about how it looks but if it were me I would probably go with the one that is more comfortable. I doubt there is going to be that much difference in the speed you will gain between the different aero helmets. It is probably going to be minimal.

2013-05-23 10:57 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Jeffy - sounds crazy. Good idea to take it easy and wait for doc's analysis

Question for everyone: What supplements do you take and why? Has anyone ever tried Sportlegs or Hammer Endurolytes pills?
2013-05-24 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Looking for some advice. I'm looking at picking up a aero helmet. I'm kind of torn between the giro select II and the giro air attack shield. The select would be a little more aero, but after having them on, the air attack is way more comfortable, but looks a little more dorky,.......as far as aero helmets go. Any opinions?

It will depend on what you're looking to get out of the helmet.  Are you looking to get the most aerodynamic benefits or would you like to have a helmet that can be used on a day to day basis and provide some aerodynamic qualities?

If you are looking for a race helmet to provide the possible time trialing benefits, I would venture to say the Giro Selector would be the better choice.  It will provide a better aerodynamic posture but will have limited use aspects unless you choose to use it on a daily basis (which I suggest you not do).

If you're looking for something to provide a more highly useful, day to day usage helmet than the Air Shield would be the choice for you.  The easily removable visor looks like a great option for race day while providing a slightly more aerodynamic benefit. while using the visor.

2013-05-24 7:06 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Oh, my, Jeff - just read your race report.  How in the world did you finish after a face-plant second crash?  I'm amazed at your perseverance to finish.  My oh My....  Praying the docs figure out what's up so you can get back to your beastly self.

Derek - I have no advice for you, but trust Tony and Dirk

Will -  I don't take supplements so I don't have anything helpful to you either.  I'm worthless today. 

I wasn't able to leave a comment on Jeff's race report.  I didn't see a "Reply" button.  Did I just miss something?

2013-05-24 7:12 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by pistuo Jeffy - sounds crazy. Good idea to take it easy and wait for doc's analysis Question for everyone: What supplements do you take and why? Has anyone ever tried Sportlegs or Hammer Endurolytes pills?

I don't take anything training specific. Seems like Endurolytes were passed out at the HIM I did a few years ago but I didn't use them in training. I took some kind of salt pill because my tri friends recommended it but I don't know that it really did that much.
2013-05-24 7:19 AM

User image

Bronze member

Weirdest thing, you all remember that cyst I have had for the last year below my ankle? Well it was swelling more and more and especially after I wore my Hoka's. After Sundays race it was absolutely huge and you could not even tell I had an ankle because this cyst dwarfed it. I have not run in the Hoka's all week and the swelling has gone down, down, down until now it is only slightly soft and I can't even feel the cyst. Do you think maybe this thing finally burst? The strange thing is the more the swelling goes down the more discomfort I have. It is not super painful or anything but I just notice some soreness. Planning a run for later, now I'm curious what is going to happen next with this thing LOL.

Checking out the new BT friends features this morning and I just realized how easy it is to add friends now - just one click!

2013-05-24 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by pistuo

Jeffy - sounds crazy. Good idea to take it easy and wait for doc's analysis

Question for everyone: What supplements do you take and why? Has anyone ever tried Sportlegs or Hammer Endurolytes pills?

I've not used anything like salt tablets, Hammer Endurolyte or the sportslegs pills for training or racing or as a daily supplement. The only things that I have used as a supplement would be like vitamin D, one a day multivitamin and I have been using Dymatize as a protein supplement after workouts and before bed but I have been pretty lax on that lately. So for me I don't use anything like those products you mention although the sportlegs product does sound interesting.
2013-05-24 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I have a question for the group, how many miles do you guys put on your running shoes before you switch over to a pair? I have been using my Asic Kayano's and I have two pairs which have 583 and 578 miles on them. They still look pretty good and I have no issues running in them. I have two brand new pairs of Kayano's which I've had for about 6 months waiting to be used. I am thinking I should start breaking in the two new pairs and phase out the old ones. I just wanted to know what you guys do. I thought rule of thumb was abut 500 miles on a pair of shoes.
2013-05-24 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by pistuo Jeffy - sounds crazy. Good idea to take it easy and wait for doc's analysis Question for everyone: What supplements do you take and why? Has anyone ever tried Sportlegs or Hammer Endurolytes pills?

I've not tried either of those supplements.  But I have tried calf compression sleeves.  I use the sleeves as an example because of many people call it a placebo effect.  The research on the sleeves appears to be non conclusive as does the research for items such as these supplements.  I would say you should give them a try and see what your body tells you.  It could be something that works well for you but others don't seem to see the promised results.

Another perspective is each of us is different and our body's response is different for any given supplement.  Maybe you will see something from one or the other of these products that would be unseen by me because of our biological make up.  (Although I would venture to say your make up is is more clown like.)  The real questions and answers can be given by those experienced athletes who've tried the product.  Maybe post in the Ironman training forums and see what they have to say.

2013-05-24 8:57 AM

User image

NH
Jeff I appreciate the feedback and advice. My friend has actually offered to loan me a power meter to train with and use for the IM. I should probably take him up on the offer since I won't be doing 2 or 3 IM's a year ever!

Take the offer for sure. Jeff is right on about using everything to paint picture during the race, and the main goal of seeing the big picture is to ensure you keep the effort down. One major thing a PM can do for you on a course like IMWI is to help you "flatten" the course. Like Jeff is always saying, keep your effort at a constant level, regardless of your pace. The PM can make sure you're doing that. But it's only one tool. If something else is way off (HR, RPE, etc) you can back off even more. Lots of things can affect you on race day, and you don't want to be a slave to a number. And I've heard way too many stories of PMs going out during races so you don't want to be totally reliant on it anyway. Your body will almost certainly be telling you it feels good enough to go a lot harder than you should be going.

I’d say the all the data points should provide a ceiling, and it is best to not exceed any measure during the bike. As I’ve heard it said - if you go too easy on the bike, you have 26.2 miles to make up for that “mistake”. But if you go too hard on the bike, that mistake will manifest itself for 26.2 miles. Go to about mile 20 of any IM marathon to see the carnage of people who likely hit the bike a tad too hard.

If you get the PM we can get into more details.
2013-05-24 8:59 AM

User image

NH

Keep us updated. That picture of you on the cot is not a good site.

2013-05-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

NH
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Looking for some advice. I'm looking at picking up a aero helmet. I'm kind of torn between the giro select II and the giro air attack shield. The select would be a little more aero, but after having them on, the air attack is way more comfortable, but looks a little more dorky,.......as far as aero helmets go. Any opinions?

It will depend on what you're looking to get out of the helmet.  Are you looking to get the most aerodynamic benefits or would you like to have a helmet that can be used on a day to day basis and provide some aerodynamic qualities?

If you are looking for a race helmet to provide the possible time trialing benefits, I would venture to say the Giro Selector would be the better choice.  It will provide a better aerodynamic posture but will have limited use aspects unless you choose to use it on a daily basis (which I suggest you not do).

If you're looking for something to provide a more highly useful, day to day usage helmet than the Air Shield would be the choice for you.  The easily removable visor looks like a great option for race day while providing a slightly more aerodynamic benefit. while using the visor.

Dirk is right on it. I think a bike aero helmet has one purpose - to go fast in a race. There's really no reason to wear one in training. But the Air attack looks like a hybrid. I'd pick the fastest helmet as long as it isn't too uncomfortable to wear for an entire race at whatever distance you're targeting, or even so uncomfortable that you'd be sacrificing some speed in dealing with the annoyance of wearing it. For training, I'd pick the more comfortable option with max air flow and not be concerned with aero at all.
2013-05-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by wbayek

Take the offer for sure. Jeff is right on about using everything to paint picture during the race, and the main goal of seeing the big picture is to ensure you keep the effort down. One major thing a PM can do for you on a course like IMWI is to help you "flatten" the course. Like Jeff is always saying, keep your effort at a constant level, regardless of your pace. The PM can make sure you're doing that. But it's only one tool. If something else is way off (HR, RPE, etc) you can back off even more. Lots of things can affect you on race day, and you don't want to be a slave to a number. And I've heard way too many stories of PMs going out during races so you don't want to be totally reliant on it anyway. Your body will almost certainly be telling you it feels good enough to go a lot harder than you should be going.

I’d say the all the data points should provide a ceiling, and it is best to not exceed any measure during the bike. As I’ve heard it said - if you go too easy on the bike, you have 26.2 miles to make up for that “mistake”. But if you go too hard on the bike, that mistake will manifest itself for 26.2 miles. Go to about mile 20 of any IM marathon to see the carnage of people who likely hit the bike a tad too hard.

If you get the PM we can get into more details.

Warren thanks and I agree with you guys. I didn't want to be dependent on any one thing but I think you and Jeff make great points. It's probably best to use all the tools (PM, HR and RPE) available to help keep a consistent pace for the bike leg. As much as I worry about the swim leg I am much more worried about blowing up on the bike and having to do the death march instead of the run at IM. I'd rather be a little slower and have some more energy left for the run then not having anything at all.
2013-05-24 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

As I look over Giro's website I don't see a 'select II'. I will assume you are referring to the 'selector'.

I really like the air attack helmet and it's magnetic visor setup. It's probably akin to a road bike with aero tubing....it's not intended to be the most aerodynamic helmet, but perhaps the most aerodynamic of the round shaped helmets. It's something you could make your only helmet....and you could use it in road races.

For triathlons and time trials I would pick the Selector. That's a sweet helmet. The most comfortable helmet isn't an important criteria for me, but I don't race long course. If the Selector's relative discomfort would be an issue, it's best to avoid that.

The Giros are great helmets, so don't interpret this as steering you away from them. Just want to let you know that if you are interested in a Rudy Wingspan helmet I can get it for you for $186.
2013-05-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by wbayek

Originally posted by DirkP

Dirk is right on it. I think a bike aero helmet has one purpose - to go fast in a race. There's really no reason to wear one in training. But the Air attack looks like a hybrid. I'd pick the fastest helmet as long as it isn't too uncomfortable to wear for an entire race at whatever distance you're targeting, or even so uncomfortable that you'd be sacrificing some speed in dealing with the annoyance of wearing it. For training, I'd pick the more comfortable option with max air flow and not be concerned with aero at all.

That was my original thinking however I've read a few reports that say the selector is only faster if you keep an optional head position. Once you start moving your head around they are apparently equal. While right now I'm only doing sprints and Oly's. I'm hoping to start doing HIM's next year and may IM's in a few years. The Air attack seems like it would be quite a bit cooler and more comfortable. I've gone back and forth on which one a few times. I'm gonna try them both on again tomorrow and talk to the LBS. I was thinking air attack but now you guys might have me going back the other way.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114