BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-06-18 8:29 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
Sorry but I can't help you with the wetsuit. I have only raced in mine once and has preferred not racing in one.

Glad to hear your calf is feeling better and that you got in a few OWS in.

Good luck on Sunday!

Originally posted by ettringite23

Back from vacation, I went fishing for a few days! Still got my workouts in

First race is this Sunday, Pleasant Prairie in Wisconsin. My calf is feeling good. I practiced an OWS with my new wet suit. I swam fast, but the suit appears to constrict my breathing. Being an asthmatic, this scared me a little. Anyone else experience the same thing? I am going to try one more OWS with the suit and see how it goes. Mostly recover this week: OWS, easy run, easy bike.

Did a full brick last Wednesday: OWS, bike 13, and run 3.5. Went pretty well albeit was tired and lacked proper nutrition.

2013-06-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tmoran80

Hey Mike - Good move going with the HRM. Heart rate zone training is one of the simplest and effective ways to gauge your effort to not under train or over train and risk injury. The first step is to calculate your heart rate zones. The simplest is to to the 220 minus your age to get your peak heart rate. So for example my age is 39 so my max heart rate would theoretically be 181. You would then base you base your zones off of percentages to the max.

ZONE 1 = 50-60% (90-108)
ZONE 2 = 60-70% (109 - 126)
ZONE 3 = 70-80% (127-144)
ZONE 4 = 80-90% (145- 162)
ZONE 5 = 90%+ (163 +)

The main problem with this and triathletes is that your heart rate is going to be lower for your bike than your running. The most effective way to get your zones is to do a Lactate Threshold test. You would then get an average number that you plug into your log here on Beginner Triathlete and it automatically calculates your zones. You should do one for the bike and your run. These are also a great way to track your progress. Here is the link with instructions on how to do the test. Here is the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

As far as the zones go here is a good description of what each zone means:

Zone 1 - basically a warm up - very easy effort.

Zone 2 - This is your aerobic or endurance zone. Most of your endurance training should be in this zone. It is very tough when you start out since you will think that you are not working hard enough. When I started HR zone training my Zone 2 run pace was almost 11:00/mile. After a few months it was down to 9:00/mile. You just have to have faith haha!

Zone 3 - This is consider your "junk" mile zone. if you spend alot of tim ein this zone you will most likely become injuried since you are pushing too hard and not really gaining much.

Zone 4 - This is your anaerobic zone. You should be in this zone for interval work or speed work outs. This will help build some speed and help the body flush out the lactate acid.

Zone 5 - Pushing way too hard

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some help!

Also IronFink is actually an Ironman training program based of of a Don Fink book called Iron Fit. Great book and plan and what I used last year for IMWI and am basing my training off this year for Racine 70.3.

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Weather has been good the past could of days, so was able to get a short run and a long ride today. So slow on the bike it's embarrassing. It was very windy today and my drivetrain is messed up. I cleaned it yesterday and tried to adjust the screws. Big mistake, spent half the ride skipping gears and cross chained. Need to take it into the shop tomorrow.

Anyway, I got a new HRM belt and am wondering if you guys have any advice for using heart rate zones for training? There is so much conflicting information online I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing. Thanks!

Great information. I train by HR, but have not formally checked it. After my tri this weekend, I think I will perform the lactic threshold measurements that you suggest!
2013-06-18 10:41 PM

User image

Regular

Whoo Hoo! I rode my bike into work this morning and NO FLATS!! haha. I have a crazy busy weekend this weekend with three shows so I have no time to get my long ride in so I decided to ride into work (32 miles) and then ride back home tonight. Had a great ride this morning - weather was perfect 60 degrees and sunny with a slight headwind. I hammered it and made it to work in 1:39:55 (18.1 mph avg) and felt great.

So what is going on this weekend? Anyone racing? Father's Day plans? I am playing a fest on Sunday at Sheffield & Addison next to Wrigley Field called Sausage Fest haha. Being a White Sox fan I find that very fitting for Wrigleyville -might be interesting haha

That is a great effort for 32 miles! Nice job!! What was your HR zones during that ride?

PS Minnesota Twins fan here
2013-06-18 10:43 PM

User image

Regular

That is probably best - it will give you the most accurate data. Haha - I feel your pain on trying to stay in the zones. One thing to keep in mind is that you might get really high readings for the first 5-10 minutes of your workout. Not sure why but I have read about it being common and for me it usually about 1/2 mile into my run I will just instantly drop from high Zone 3 to Zone 1. Let us know how the lactate threshold test goes.

I'm going to have to do the threshold test tomorrow. Just did a 30 min run using the 220-age formula and anything over a moderate walk pulled me into zone 3. Ended up doing ~15 min miles because I had to keep walking to bring the HR down into the endurance zone. I know I'm off my game, but I hope it's not that bad.

I used to have this "spike" in HR during my runs. I did some reading and concluded it was from the static electricity from my dry-fit shirts and the Garmin soft strap. I switched out the Garmin softstrap for a Polar strap (still use the Garmin senson), and no problems sense this switch.
2013-06-18 10:48 PM

User image

Regular

Where did you catch that Walleye? Nice fish.

I will also be up at Pleasant Prairie this weekend - last minute kind of a thing. I will be guiding a para-triathlete in the Olympic race with Dare2Tri. I am performing at a wedding in the the Milwaukee area Saturday night so and will get out of there around 1:00am then drive down to Pleasant Prairie (about 45 minutes) catch about 2-3 hours of sleep in the car then race at at 6:30. Kinda crazy but looking forward to it. Maybe we can meet up?

No help on the wet suit question. I do find the wetsuits tight when i first put it on but once I get in the water I don't really notice it.

Back from vacation, I went fishing for a few days! Still got my workouts in

First race is this Sunday, Pleasant Prairie in Wisconsin. My calf is feeling good. I practiced an OWS with my new wet suit. I swam fast, but the suit appears to constrict my breathing. Being an asthmatic, this scared me a little. Anyone else experience the same thing? I am going to try one more OWS with the suit and see how it goes. Mostly recover this week: OWS, easy run, easy bike.

Did a full brick last Wednesday: OWS, bike 13, and run 3.5. Went pretty well albeit was tired and lacked proper nutrition.

Did a 1 mile OWS with the wet suit tonight. It went really well. No breathing problems. Stroke was pretty good. I have to work on sighting and proper body rotation. I feel the buoyancy of the wet suit lessens my body rotation.

Finished just under 30 minutes on the mile, so hoping for sub 15 on the tri on Sunday (1/2 mile).

I will send you a PM with my phone number, if you want to meet up before or after race
2013-06-19 9:33 PM

New user

Congrats on getting that first race under your belt Joe! I am sure it felt good to be done with it but you know you are hooked when you can't wait for the next one.

On the swim - One suggestion would be to start to either the left or right side instead of the middle and work your way back in after it settles down a bit. After a couple OWS you will get used to it.

2X on Todd's comment about a race belt. Very inexpensive and saves a ton of time. It also sounds like you put a shirt on in transition- right? You might want to consider picking up some tri shorts and jersey especially if you think this is something you want to continue with. Then you just get out of water jump on your bike and your off.

On the bike - It sounds like you might have been pushing to hard of a gear. That will come with practice. One thing to work on is to keep your cadence or pedal RPM around 80-90. You can figure this by just counting your right foot for 15 seconds and multiply X 4 (or with a bike computer) If your cadence is anywhere below 75 you are probably pushing too hard (some people refer to it as "Grinding" and your legs will get that jello feel. The key is to keep that cadence high and consistent. So if you are riding flat road you should be at 85-90 rpm, if you hit an incline then shift up to make it easier to pedal but keep that cadence at 85-95. After some practice you will get a good feel of what is going on and will just know when to shift just by your RPM "feel". Hopefully that makes sense.

You finished strong on the run which is great. If you incorporate some brick (bike/run) workouts once a week you will get used to that dead leg feel. They don't have to be long - just 10 minutes of running after biking will do it.

Again great work and glad you had a successful first race!

Originally posted by SouthFLJoe

This past Saturday I did my first ever Triathlon in Clermont, FL. It went pretty much as expected, but I hoped to do a little bit better. I'm still very new to all three sports so I'm hoping progress and gains come quickly once I start picking it up. Thanks for all the motivation. I've attached a link to my race report below. I know biking is my weakest right now and running could definitely use improvement. Any advice or criticism would help! Thanks!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Thanks so much for the tips!! I definitely need to start keeping track of my cadence on the bike and be more consistent with it. Do any of the basic bike computers measure cadence or is that a more advanced piece of equipment. I also just got the 910xt Triathlon bundle which includes a sensor for the bike so im pretty sure that might include a cadence field. Once again thanks for the tips and my next Triathlon is only 11 days away!!

2013-06-19 9:45 PM
in reply to: SouthFLJoe

User image

Regular
The 910 XT will monitor and record cadence with a cadence/speed sensor...which sounds like you got with the bundle package.
2013-06-20 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
I actually made the switch to power this year and have found it much more informative than the HR monitor. After all my HR training last year for IMWI I think I have a pretty good feel of my effort and HR Zone but still use it for my running. For the bike I base it off my FTP (currently 238). So for this particular ride my average was 199 W. This is about my race pace and is 83% of my FTP. So if I correlate that to zones it come in around low zone 3 based on my effort. The thing I love about he power is that it give you so much more information. Granted I have the iBike power meter which is not 100% accurate compared to some of the SRAM or other manufacturers crank power meters - but you can't compare meter to meter. As long as the data you are getting is consistent that is all that matters. I bought the iBike meter on ebay for $150 so you can't really beat that price haha.

That is a great effort for 32 miles! Nice job!! What was your HR zones during that ride?

PS Minnesota Twins fan here
2013-06-20 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
That is a great swim time. In regards tot he sighting you should try and incorporate that into every workout. I try to do drills every workout and do at least 50-100Y of sighting to make my stroke more efficient with sighting. Seems to help.

Did a 1 mile OWS with the wet suit tonight. It went really well. No breathing problems. Stroke was pretty good. I have to work on sighting and proper body rotation. I feel the buoyancy of the wet suit lessens my body rotation.

Finished just under 30 minutes on the mile, so hoping for sub 15 on the tri on Sunday (1/2 mile).

I will send you a PM with my phone number, if you want to meet up before or after race
2013-06-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: SouthFLJoe

User image

Expert
The 910XT is a great watch and it sounds like you do have the cadence /speed sensor so you will get a wealth of data to use. make sure you familiarize your self with all the custom features and alarms it offers. example - set you bike workout to fall with the RPM of 80-90 and the watch will beep when you go to high or too low. Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the tips!! I definitely need to start keeping track of my cadence on the bike and be more consistent with it. Do any of the basic bike computers measure cadence or is that a more advanced piece of equipment. I also just got the 910xt Triathlon bundle which includes a sensor for the bike so im pretty sure that might include a cadence field. Once again thanks for the tips and my next Triathlon is only 11 days away!!
2013-06-21 2:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Good luck to those who are racing over the weekend!

2013-06-21 5:40 AM

User image

I had similar issues when swimming with a wetsuit where it feels a little like you can't breathe. It's unpleasant but I get used to it.

Just noticed your hat (nice fish, by the way), I'm a Cards fan. Does this mean I have to leave the group now?
2013-06-21 5:52 AM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Just a quick report, I have my thresholds for running and biking and have been trying to use the new levels more as I build fitness back up. Went for a 90 min ride with the father-in-law again on Wednesday. Went okay, although my drivetrain is still funky and kept me out of the middle ring. Even with that we averaged a full mph faster than the week before (so 15 instead of 14, but I'll take what I can get). HR stayed lower and recovery was better too. I also ran more in Z2, but that has caused me to slow way down. Like 10 min mile slow. For years I've done a 4+1 run/walk, but I think I need to increase run time and bring overall time down. Does that make sense?

Will join a pool on the first, going to bite the bullet and go to one 20 miles away. We're in a pool desert here!
2013-06-21 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good catch as I didn't notice the Club's hat, just the fish. I am a Cards fan too, so no you don't have to leave. Currently living in SC, are you in MO if so where as I am Washington girl?

I drive 30 minutes to the Y for my pool workouts. That is the closest pool that is open year round.

Just noticed your hat (nice fish, by the way), I'm a Cards fan. Does this mean I have to leave the group now?
2013-06-21 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I also set my watch to beep at me every 3 miles to remind me to drink. It is funny but if I don't have that I forget to drink.

The 910XT is a great watch and it sounds like you do have the cadence /speed sensor so you will get a wealth of data to use. make sure you familiarize your self with all the custom features and alarms it offers. example - set you bike workout to fall with the RPM of 80-90 and the watch will beep when you go to high or too low. Good Luck!

2013-06-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Regular
Thanks!

My neighbors think I am crazing. I practiced my transitions three times tonight. I put on my wetsuit, cap, and goggles and then run around the block and transition in my garage. Bike around the block, transition to run, and finish with run around the block

2013-06-22 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Just caught up on my reading! Glad to hear everyone is going along well in their training!

My bike saga is finalized. I am purchasing a custom built Alchemy road bike. Black with electric blue Alchemy logos. I will use the Hed Jet wheels I already have along with my clip on aerobars. No new bike for IM WI if I get to the starting line, the bike will take about 3 months to complete.

The knee issue is ever present, every workout. Still can't kick when I swim which makes me slower.

Still trudging along. Long bike is at 55 miles, long swim 3100 yards, and long walk/run 10 miles. I hope you ironman vets have some advice for me on my run/walk. Using run/walk intervals of 3 min run/2 min walk right now but become fatigued about 7-8 miles into the workout. I would like to increase the run interval to 4 min and leave the walk interval at 2 min. Should I wait? Eleven mile run/walk on tap for tomorrow and will stick with 3/2 this week.

Thanks!
2013-06-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Everyone.

Look - its me just wanted to check in and say hello. I feel like a bit of a slug for not being here enough and I hope everyone is ok. I am enjoying my training vacation up here in Northern Ontario. I have an Olympic Distance race here in Huntsville Ontario Tomorrow and will check in late again tomorrow afternoon.

KC
2013-06-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
KC, how did your race go?

Wasn't someone else racing this past weekend also?
2013-06-24 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Okay I have a question for those in the know about bikes.

My roadie is an Orbea Aqua TSR with Shimano Sora gearing. I have a compact double crankset 34x50 and 12-27 9 speed rear cogs.

It is looking very certain that I wont have the money to buy a TT bike with ultegra gearing before IMOZ, so I'm wondering if I should change the front crankset to a standard double or triple? Bare in mind the bike course of IMOZ is VERY hilly, but there are also a lot of downhills and some flats once you are out of Port Macquarie. I obviously want to get every advantage I can on my bike as it is my weakest leg.

I'm heading into the LBS tomorrow to have a chat with the guys, but they will probably tell me I'm wasting my money, but if it helps me to make the cut off well then its money well spent in my book. Also would you have any idea what something like that would cost? I've even thought about getting all of the Sora components changed over to 105.

Here's the specs to my bike http://www.orbea.com/au-en/bicycles/aqua-tsr/

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Have a good week everyone, cheers!
2013-06-24 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Just did some research and it looks like I already have the best option on my bike... next step is finding the steepest hills I can around home and making them my best friend.

2013-06-24 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
If you are doing 10:00/miles in Z2 and just starting HR training i think you are doing really good. As you build that Zone 2 endurance you will see that pace drop significantly. Like I previously mentioned when I started my IM training last year my Z2 pace was around 11:00 and by the time the training was ending my high Z2 was around a 9:15 pace.

Just a quick report, I have my thresholds for running and biking and have been trying to use the new levels more as I build fitness back up. Went for a 90 min ride with the father-in-law again on Wednesday. Went okay, although my drivetrain is still funky and kept me out of the middle ring. Even with that we averaged a full mph faster than the week before (so 15 instead of 14, but I'll take what I can get). HR stayed lower and recovery was better too. I also ran more in Z2, but that has caused me to slow way down. Like 10 min mile slow. For years I've done a 4+1 run/walk, but I think I need to increase run time and bring overall time down. Does that make sense?

Will join a pool on the first, going to bite the bullet and go to one 20 miles away. We're in a pool desert here!
2013-06-24 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
I would not get caught up in gearing "brands". What I would suggest is changing out your rear cassette to an 11-28. It is gonna give you one more climbing gear and also a little more on those downhill to take advantage and maximize your free speed.

The key to hills is not powering through them it is making smart choices and having the right gearing. I have some vintage gearing on my bike and have a 13-32 on my rear cassette. The 32 made the hills at IMWI a little easier to climb but I would always max out my gearing on the bigger downhills. I wish I had had the 11. When you are hitting the hills be very conscious of your shifting. Watch your cadence and when it starts to slow - shift down. Continue this until you run out of gearing then you grind it out for the remainder of the hill. As you reach the peak start shifting up in the same way. This will save your legs from blowing up before the run. Good luck.

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Okay I have a question for those in the know about bikes.

My roadie is an Orbea Aqua TSR with Shimano Sora gearing. I have a compact double crankset 34x50 and 12-27 9 speed rear cogs.

It is looking very certain that I wont have the money to buy a TT bike with ultegra gearing before IMOZ, so I'm wondering if I should change the front crankset to a standard double or triple? Bare in mind the bike course of IMOZ is VERY hilly, but there are also a lot of downhills and some flats once you are out of Port Macquarie. I obviously want to get every advantage I can on my bike as it is my weakest leg.

I'm heading into the LBS tomorrow to have a chat with the guys, but they will probably tell me I'm wasting my money, but if it helps me to make the cut off well then its money well spent in my book. Also would you have any idea what something like that would cost? I've even thought about getting all of the Sora components changed over to 105.

Here's the specs to my bike http://www.orbea.com/au-en/bicycles/aqua-tsr/

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Have a good week everyone, cheers!
2013-06-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Expert
What pace are you running at during your run portions? Are you running too hard maybe? I don't think increasing the run to 4 minutes is a bad idea but how about slowing the pace down a bit to reduce the fatigue?

Originally posted by retiretotri

Still trudging along. Long bike is at 55 miles, long swim 3100 yards, and long walk/run 10 miles. I hope you ironman vets have some advice for me on my run/walk. Using run/walk intervals of 3 min run/2 min walk right now but become fatigued about 7-8 miles into the workout. I would like to increase the run interval to 4 min and leave the walk interval at 2 min. Should I wait? Eleven mile run/walk on tap for tomorrow and will stick with 3/2 this week.

Thanks!
2013-06-24 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Man did I have a crazy weekend. My daughters 6th birthday was on Friday so I took the day off and snuck in a 35 mile ride early morning. Then it was cleaing and yard work all morning for the party. Those parties just wipe me out. Saturday we played a wedding a north of Milwaukee so I jad to leave at 2:00pm. Setting up was a nightmare and we had issues with our PA system. I handle all of that for the band so I was stressing like crazy to make it work - all while ahving to MC the dinner portion of the event in another room. Got it going with 10 minutes to spare haha. We played until 12:15am then packed up and I was on the road at 1:30am. Drove to Pleasant Prairie, WI for the Pleasant Prairie Tri which started at 6:30am. Got there at 2:45am and pulled int o the parking lot to catch some sleep. Triathlon people are CRAZY and started showing up at 4:00am and woke me up so I basically got 1 hour of "sleep" in the back of my car.

I guided a para-triathlete for the first time at the race and it was awesome. The guy I was with has a spinal cord injury so he is paralyzed from the chest down (no core muscles). This guy swam 800 yards on his back just pushing himself through the water dragging his body behind him. I just swam with him and tried to keep him as straight as possible. I was in complete awe and of his determination. We were out there for 40 minutes. I told him after while on the bike that I would rather swim two back to back IM swims then do what he just did. I biked with him then another guide stayed with him on the run. The Dare2Tri group is just awesome and every time I work with them I realize two things 1) how much we all take for granted everyday. 2) How much I love this sport.

Todd also did the race and we tried to meet up but t was pretty crazy in the morning. It sounds like he had a great race though.

Chicago Marathon training starts today. I just keep piling them on haha. Not sure how I am gonna make this work with both 70.3 trainign until July 21 and Chicago Marathon. They are both my "A" races for the year and I am bound and determined to break 4 hours at Chicago so I wil ljust have to deal with it for few weeks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28