BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: Grilledmonkey

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: ---
Originally posted by Grilledmonkey

Managed my first 400m swim non-stop this morning in 18mths! I almost took a breather at the 200m mark cause my forarms were sore (what is up with that!?) but pushed on and the soreness dissapated and i managed to finish in 13mins.

I tentatively have a mini-tri pencilled in for next weekend but i havent been able to run 2km without a rest yet so I may hold off until the next tri.

Great job on the swim. When my forearms hurt, coach said it was because they were doing all the work so I needed to kick more.

2014-01-16 8:06 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Subject: RE: Workout
This has been a tough week. Worked overtime almost every day, finding time to workout has been limited. But so far, looking back on this week I have worked out 4 days so far. It helps to take it one day at a time.

When I feel like not working out, I remember the suggestion, workout for 5 minutes and if you still feel like not working out just stop, regroup and prepare yourself for the next day. But after 5 minutes you just want to keep going. The first step is the most difficult.

Seeing how all of you keep going no matter what, has really helped. Thanks for sharing your struggles and success.
2014-01-16 8:09 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Good pace this week
After falling on my a$$ on this past Sunday run, my right arm was really sore to even move. I can't remember hitting it either.
I didn't swim my short workout Tuesday to allow it to rest but still ran Tuesday night. Nice hilly run in the fog and kept the arm swinging to a minimum.
Skipped weights Wed morning but did make it to my swim class. Its suppose to be my long swim but I shortened it to 45 minutes. My arm was still sore but eased the more I swam in the frigid pool. Followed up with 15 minutes in the oh so good hot tub. Arm still sore to the touch but doesn't hurt to move it anymore. WooHoo! I managed a 1000 yard workout (not straight).

This morning, spin class was full and I opted to go back to bed BUT I talked myself into going to a later class hubby was home. So glad I did.
We sure can talk ourselves into and out of workouts.

Tonight's run was really good and a friend needed the "run therapy" session.

Sorry, rambling. Even with 2 missed workouts, I still feel like I have been fairly consistent in my first official week of training. I haven't upload it yet but I may move the start date to Monday since the week is almost over.

I hope everyone is doing great.
2014-01-16 8:09 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Just call me Chlorine lady LOL
Thanks Todd for the words of encouragement! I would like to report I swam 25 meters without stopping, doing freestyle with no swim aids for the first time EVER! I did this 4 times with a pause in between each one to talk about what I need to work on. My head likes to look ahead and tonight I worked hard at tucking my chin and going nice and SLOW and exhaling all the way to the bottom of my stomach.....when I do that everything "clicks" soon as I don't pay attention things start falling apart.....one major discovery.....trying to bilateral breathe is what was REALLY messing me up.....I prefer my left side and my instructor said my right side is my problem.....I still have a lot of work with form ect. But I think I will just breathe on my left for a bit! Thanks for listening!

MICHAEL WHERE ARE YOU.........

Kelly how are you doing neighbor?!

Aussie Turtle how are your beach swims going?
2014-01-16 8:17 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Subject: RE: Good pace this week
Good workouts and hope your arm feels better soon !!!
2014-01-16 8:52 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Thanks Todd for the words of encouragement! I would like to report I swam 25 meters without stopping, doing freestyle with no swim aids for the first time EVER! I did this 4 times with a pause in between each one to talk about what I need to work on. My head likes to look ahead and tonight I worked hard at tucking my chin and going nice and SLOW and exhaling all the way to the bottom of my stomach.....when I do that everything "clicks" soon as I don't pay attention things start falling apart.....one major discovery.....trying to bilateral breathe is what was REALLY messing me up.....I prefer my left side and my instructor said my right side is my problem.....I still have a lot of work with form ect. But I think I will just breathe on my left for a bit! Thanks for listening!

MICHAEL WHERE ARE YOU.........

Kelly how are you doing neighbor?!

Aussie Turtle how are your beach swims going?

I've been swimming every day this week. Monday was just a splash about, Tuesday 4 x25m, Wednesday 6 x 25m, Thursday Splash about, Today was 8 x 25m. The weather is so hot the authorities have asked people not to exercise outdoors so swimming is a great option. It got down to 30C (86F) overnight so there is no relief for training at night or early morning. We're expecting a cool change tonight and I hope to get a ride and a run in over the weekend.

I must say that it's easy for me to train at the moment as I'm taking time off work between contracts. It's great to have planty of time during summer. I'll start work again at the end of the month. It would be easy to sit back and relax but reading about everybody's efforts makes me want to get out and train.

I joined a gym this week. It doesn't open until 1 Feb. but its open 24x7 so there will be no "I don't have time" excuses.

Major achievement this week is that I haven't eaten any cake.

Rod (Aussie Turtle)

2014-01-16 9:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Changing the plan
And so. Here I am in my third week. In the past 2 weeks since I've gone back to work, I've had to reschedule or miss at least a few sessions. Here I am on hour 14 of work yet again. It would seem wise to amend my plan. I'm finding that I'm down on missing a workout or exhausted if I do make it. I think I'm better off scheduling fewer and if time permits to add. It's a bit frustrating

Edited by 2gs 2014-01-16 9:06 PM
2014-01-16 9:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by Lovey

Managed my first 400m swim non-stop this morning in 18mths! I almost took a breather at the 200m mark cause my forarms were sore (what is up with that!?) but pushed on and the soreness dissapated and i managed to finish in 13mins.

I tentatively have a mini-tri pencilled in for next weekend but i havent been able to run 2km without a rest yet so I may hold off until the next tri.

Great job on the swim. When my forearms hurt, coach said it was because they were doing all the work so I needed to kick more.

That could be it for me as well as my legs are very lazy!
2014-01-16 9:33 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Changing the plan
Originally posted by 2gs

And so. Here I am in my third week. In the past 2 weeks since I've gone back to work, I've had to reschedule or miss at least a few sessions. Here I am on hour 14 of work yet again. It would seem wise to amend my plan. I'm finding that I'm down on missing a workout or exhausted if I do make it. I think I'm better off scheduling fewer and if time permits to add. It's a bit frustrating

This is what im not looking forward to when Uni starts again (i'll be full-time work and full-time Uni with no hours to myself). Last semester I was only part-time Uni and still struggled to fit exercise in. I like to have my workouts scheduled so that i dont have to think about it if i do have the time to do it, i just crank it out. I think the key is to not punish yourself for missing a planned workout
2014-01-16 9:40 PM
in reply to: Grilledmonkey

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great job!! Only thing I can think for your forearms would be you like grabbing the water with open fingers and pulling. As far as the tri goes, only you can know. Remember you can always walk if you need to, but if you want to run the whole way and don't think you can, then wait. Either way you are accomplishing something everyday and should be proud.
2014-01-16 9:42 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Workout
Originally posted by dwilling

This has been a tough week. Worked overtime almost every day, finding time to workout has been limited. But so far, looking back on this week I have worked out 4 days so far. It helps to take it one day at a time.

When I feel like not working out, I remember the suggestion, workout for 5 minutes and if you still feel like not working out just stop, regroup and prepare yourself for the next day. But after 5 minutes you just want to keep going. The first step is the most difficult.

Seeing how all of you keep going no matter what, has really helped. Thanks for sharing your struggles and success.

The ability to make time to workout is an accomplishment its self when you have a week like you've had. Great job

2014-01-16 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Good pace this week
Originally posted by Lovey

After falling on my a$$ on this past Sunday run, my right arm was really sore to even move. I can't remember hitting it either.
I didn't swim my short workout Tuesday to allow it to rest but still ran Tuesday night. Nice hilly run in the fog and kept the arm swinging to a minimum.
Skipped weights Wed morning but did make it to my swim class. Its suppose to be my long swim but I shortened it to 45 minutes. My arm was still sore but eased the more I swam in the frigid pool. Followed up with 15 minutes in the oh so good hot tub. Arm still sore to the touch but doesn't hurt to move it anymore. WooHoo! I managed a 1000 yard workout (not straight).

This morning, spin class was full and I opted to go back to bed BUT I talked myself into going to a later class hubby was home. So glad I did.
We sure can talk ourselves into and out of workouts.

Tonight's run was really good and a friend needed the "run therapy" session.

Sorry, rambling. Even with 2 missed workouts, I still feel like I have been fairly consistent in my first official week of training. I haven't upload it yet but I may move the start date to Monday since the week is almost over.

I hope everyone is doing great.

Tracey, my rock hard Turtle like always. You know it's funny sometimes when we hurt but aren't sure how the check it happened.
2014-01-16 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2gs

Some times we have to dial things back and that is fine. Dialed back is still doing way more than nothing. Play around with days, Times, workouts, you will figure out what works for you!
2014-01-17 12:10 AM

User image

We all seem to live very busy lives with limited time available for training.

I use the 5BX program developed by the Canadian Air Force. This program has been around for years and has targets for each age group. The program takes 11 minutes to complete each day. It's not going to be a complete workout for a triathlete but it helps with conditioning and is better than no exercise. Do a search on 5BX exercise program download as there are a number of sources for a PDF.

Rod
2014-01-17 4:47 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Rod-
Great job on getting out and swimming! We have similar heat advisories all summer long. The 100% humidity plus heat in North Carolina is horrible! The base my husband works at puts up a black flag when weather conditions forbid any and all outdoor activities. I remember when we were in Ayers Rock and at Bondi beach it was soooooo hot! Cairns was also very warm. So you mentioned cake....I love sweets as well!!

Darcie
2014-01-17 7:30 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

New user

Subject: When I grow up I want to be 7 years old
Hi everyone,
I thought it was time to put my head up again. My workout log isn't updated but I have managed to be up at 6am each day as promised. I have my son with me this weekend. He is 7 years old and I need to educate the boy. He asked me to take him to the pool. He seems to think swimming is fun and pools have a secrete purpose that I'm not aware of. I know they are for swimming training so I don't know what he is thinking. Mind you, this is a kid who like riding his bike around even though it hasn't any gears and isn't carbon fibre. He also likes running around all the time. I know there is no purpose to it because his watch doesn't track his distance, pace and average speed. Who would know what is going through his little mind.
All in all its been a good week and the weigh in Sunday am will tell me if I'm on the right track. I've also recognised I am using the wrong timing mechanism for my swim. I'm going to use a calendar instead of a watch to track my speed.

Until Sundays weigh-in....have a great weekend.

Michael

2014-01-18 2:53 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Re-Opened, Come On In
This is my second attempt post because I don't think it worked the first time. If it did, I apologize for the repost in advance.

NAME: Rachel

STORY: I'm 28 years old and have never done a triathlon, not do I know anyone that has. I always pictured myself doing duathlons because even though I know how to swim, I am terrible at it. I like to ride my bike although I have tons of room for improvement there as well. I have decided to go the tri route because I don't want to let the swimming scare me off.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for three years, no children yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: None to speak of. I biked tons last summer but stopped when the weather turned.

2013 RACES: STP bike ride, and one 5k.

2014 RACES: Nothing that I have planned out yet but I want to train and gage what I feel I can accomplish.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently at my largest weight ever and really want to make a major change.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: I want help with knowing how to progress, motivation to keep going, and hopefully gain a hobby that does not involve the couch.
2014-01-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: RachMart

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Re-Opened, Come On In

Hi Rachel, and welcome! Congratulations on taking the plunge and getting stuck in to triathlon, it's a great sport and lots of fun. You're right to not be put off by the swim, with a bit of (ok, a lot of) consistent practice you'll be lapping the pool with ease. The hardest bit is making the decision to start, and you've done that bit now.

2014-01-18 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Well, guys, it looks like everyone's been going great guns over the past week or so, it's inspiring reading everyone's stories.

Mikey, well done on getting up at 6am every day, getting into the training routine is a bit step forward. I hope teaching your son about the seriousness of all that running around goes well, maybe you could get him a heart rate monitor next Chrissy? Hey Pixie, great work on the swimming, and Rod, too. A little bit further, a little bit better, every time. 

2gs, dwilling and Grilledmonkey, you've pinpointed the bit that I find the hardest about the whole tri training thing; trying to find enough time to train. Work gets in the way, other committments get in the way, by the time you get a chance to think about training for an hour or so there's no time left or you're exhausted. I've learned to try and get the training done early morning and go to bed earlier, and if I can't then I don't beat myself up about it, just accept it as a bonus rest day (the fitness gains are made while you're resting and recovering, right?) and carry on.  GM, another thing to consider with your forearms is the stiffness of your hands and wrists, if you're holding your hands stiff and fingers tight together you get soreness in the forearms, it's something I find I have to watch too. I find if I visualise the hand position of Adam from Michelangelo's Adam and God painting I can keep my wrists more relaxed.

Lovey, nice work on the first week! You'll be powering through this season with last season as a base.

Edited by Taringa 2014-01-19 1:34 PM
2014-01-19 3:32 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Greetings All

I'm now 3 weeks into my training plan and very close to completing all scheduled sessions. This week saw me focus on swimming and I was able to swim further each session. Started to read Total Immersion and I've already picked up a few tips. This week I started some additional exercise which uses Pilates movements with resistance bands.

I didn't lose any weight this week but did manage to reduce my waist size a bit.

Thanks to everybody who has shared their stories and progress. I look forward to reading the updates each day and it's a great motivator for me when I read of the efforts and progress being made.

Aussie Turtle

2014-01-19 3:38 PM

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Open
Hi Todd and others,
My name is Lissa. I am a 43 year old mother of 4 (all boys 2 grown 2 that live with me). I did one Mini-Mini Triathlon (200yrd swim, 5 mile bike, 5k run) back in 2009, but that is the extent of my experience. I would like to get back into the sport. I am in decent shape (not over weight and stay pretty active), but could always be in better shape and improve my endurance.

Unlike most folks I have met that do tri's - swimming is my strongest leg (Swimming a mile or more in a the pool is VERY doable for me - not sure in open water- never tried). I bike ok but will be the first to admit I haven't a clue about how to train, what gear and what bike would be best for me. (I know I for sure need to get a better bike). I struggle with running- even though my body is in shape - for whatever reason I always feel like I can't breath (this is not a problem for the swim or bike portions). It's very fraustrating to me. Can run a mile non stop but am pretty slow (14 mins), but hard for me to do more than that without walking in between.

There are few mini and sprint races coming up Aprl-May that I would love to complete(my goal) so any advice would be welcome. I am just now starting to put together a training plan so any help there would also be appreciated. Anyway thanks for taking the time to read my profile.

2014-01-19 4:28 PM
in reply to: RachMart

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RachMart

This is my second attempt post because I don't think it worked the first time. If it did, I apologize for the repost in advance.

NAME: Rachel

STORY: I'm 28 years old and have never done a triathlon, not do I know anyone that has. I always pictured myself doing duathlons because even though I know how to swim, I am terrible at it. I like to ride my bike although I have tons of room for improvement there as well. I have decided to go the tri route because I don't want to let the swimming scare me off.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for three years, no children yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: None to speak of. I biked tons last summer but stopped when the weather turned.

2013 RACES: STP bike ride, and one 5k.

2014 RACES: Nothing that I have planned out yet but I want to train and gage what I feel I can accomplish.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently at my largest weight ever and really want to make a major change.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: I want help with knowing how to progress, motivation to keep going, and hopefully gain a hobby that does not involve the couch.

Well Rachel it looks like second was the lucky charm. Welcome to the group. I like that that you chose tri to push yourself in the swim. Don't worry about being new or where you are at, just start doing a little something each day to get in the routine. Also don't worry about the weight, it will come off with the workouts
2014-01-19 4:40 PM
in reply to: lillis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Open
Originally posted by lillis

Hi Todd and others,
My name is Lissa. I am a 43 year old mother of 4 (all boys 2 grown 2 that live with me). I did one Mini-Mini Triathlon (200yrd swim, 5 mile bike, 5k run) back in 2009, but that is the extent of my experience. I would like to get back into the sport. I am in decent shape (not over weight and stay pretty active), but could always be in better shape and improve my endurance.

Unlike most folks I have met that do tri's - swimming is my strongest leg (Swimming a mile or more in a the pool is VERY doable for me - not sure in open water- never tried). I bike ok but will be the first to admit I haven't a clue about how to train, what gear and what bike would be best for me. (I know I for sure need to get a better bike). I struggle with running- even though my body is in shape - for whatever reason I always feel like I can't breath (this is not a problem for the swim or bike portions). It's very fraustrating to me. Can run a mile non stop but am pretty slow (14 mins), but hard for me to do more than that without walking in between.

There are few mini and sprint races coming up Aprl-May that I would love to complete(my goal) so any advice would be welcome. I am just now starting to put together a training plan so any help there would also be appreciated. Anyway thanks for taking the time to read my profile.

Lissa welcome to the group and back to Tri's. We will get into all the items you talked about when I have a few extra minutes to really sit down and type. With your past experience doing a Tri you have an idea of what it is going to take and what to do, which puts you ahead. I will comment on the run portion though right now and have a few questions. Do you run / training with a heart rate monitor? Are you out of breath and forced to stop? What pace can you go at and feel like you could go all day? Running is so much more taxing on the heart and cardio then say cycling and swimming when doing so for sheer distance at an easy pace. I can tell you that when I started training by heart rate zones my mile in Zone 2 was at like 14 minutes. As I ran more that time dropped as I could see my heart rate improving. Let me say that during all this I could swim like a fish and while it was hard at times could do just about anything I wanted in the pool or on the bike without stopping.
2014-01-19 5:38 PM

User image

Hey Turtles!

I rode my bike today. I have not ridden it since September 7th of last year. I did a 20 miler today and my body is not used to the bike anymore and feels like I got run over! I am trying to take it slow and go at a easy pace but today was very windy and the person I was with was not being patient and was very non supportive.... I had a bad ride....BUT I guess at least I got out there and rode even though it was in the high 40s and super windy! Hope you all had a great weekend!
2014-01-19 7:21 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Hey Turtles!

I rode my bike today. I have not ridden it since September 7th of last year. I did a 20 miler today and my body is not used to the bike anymore and feels like I got run over! I am trying to take it slow and go at a easy pace but today was very windy and the person I was with was not being patient and was very non supportive.... I had a bad ride....BUT I guess at least I got out there and rode even though it was in the high 40s and super windy! Hope you all had a great weekend!

What you just described is why I do 90% of my training alone. I like to go at my pace whether it's fast or slow. To me being pushed to hard makes it less enjoyable and more like work. My only shared training is masters swim (you still swim at your pace for the duration) and group rides when a speed is set before and no one gets left unless they wish to be left.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.