General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-01-26 12:18 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -CLOSED
I missed my 45 min run yesterday. Too many conflicts, between getting my truck fixed, my son's basketball game and my mother-in-law visiting.

Made up for that today with my 2 hour run. It felt great! I ran 10.6 miles and averaged 5.2 mph. I'm not breaking any speed records out there, but this was my first EVER run over 10 miles. 9 weeks to my first 13.1 and I feel very confident.

I have lots of people ask me how I can stand the treadmill for 2 hours. My trick today was to find a podcast that I liked. It happened to be a 1:20 episode. I had the statistics display turned off on the treadmill, so I wasn't watching every minute, etc. I just focused on my stride and breathing, and enjoyed listening to the podcast. Before I knew it, the podcast was over and I started the next episode. At that point I was feeling strong and seeing how far I had gone inspired to the finish.

2014-01-26 5:39 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Ughhhhh first failed workout since starting this program!!! Swim was on the docket tonight 2 x 400, 30 sec rest between, first 400 I got a heart flutter around 325 (was born with a heart palpitation that doesn't have any restrictions but from time to time will kick in during activity and make it a real bear to do anything) and pushed through that. Took about 2.5 mins to get it to stop and rest and then started my second 400, at the 300 (and a very sloppy 300 at that) I was just out of gas! I know there were factors that really contributed to this, the heart thing really does kind of take it out of you, got maybe 5 hrs of very broken sleep last night and due to the weather I took my rest day on Wednesday instead of Saturday and think I might just be pushing to hard. Regardless to fail at a goal even with good reason still feels crappy and I think I might bail on my bike ride tomorrow (currently my best of the 3 disciplines) and take a day or rest and get back to it on Tuesday. Hope everyone else had a better day!
2014-01-27 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4937090

Didn't get any workouts in over the weekend. I have just had a lack of motivation to workout lately. We haven't had snow or miserable cold, but it has been so gloomy for over a week straight. Just need to get through this week because next week I'm packing up the family and heading to Phoenix area for a week where the forecast so far is 70 and sunny. I'm hoping a little sunshine will end this funk.

Weights this morning, run at lunch. If the forecast is correct, and the sun comes out today, I'm going to sub today's short run with last week's long run. Have a great day all!
2014-01-27 11:03 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Ughhhhh first failed workout since starting this program!!! Swim was on the docket tonight 2 x 400, 30 sec rest between, first 400 I got a heart flutter around 325 (was born with a heart palpitation that doesn't have any restrictions but from time to time will kick in during activity and make it a real bear to do anything) and pushed through that. Took about 2.5 mins to get it to stop and rest and then started my second 400, at the 300 (and a very sloppy 300 at that) I was just out of gas! I know there were factors that really contributed to this, the heart thing really does kind of take it out of you, got maybe 5 hrs of very broken sleep last night and due to the weather I took my rest day on Wednesday instead of Saturday and think I might just be pushing to hard. Regardless to fail at a goal even with good reason still feels crappy and I think I might bail on my bike ride tomorrow (currently my best of the 3 disciplines) and take a day or rest and get back to it on Tuesday. Hope everyone else had a better day!

Don't beat yourself up over one workout. We all plan to finish every workout to the letter of the plan, but at this time of year that's not the critical element. You have to listen to your body! It will tell you when you need to slow down, and slow down we must. That is not a bad thing. Just ease back into when it feels right.
2014-01-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by DBGlobal

Didn't get any workouts in over the weekend. I have just had a lack of motivation to workout lately. We haven't had snow or miserable cold, but it has been so gloomy for over a week straight. Just need to get through this week because next week I'm packing up the family and heading to Phoenix area for a week where the forecast so far is 70 and sunny. I'm hoping a little sunshine will end this funk.

Weights this morning, run at lunch. If the forecast is correct, and the sun comes out today, I'm going to sub today's short run with last week's long run. Have a great day all!

Tell me about it! I hate this weather and it makes it so hard to get up and out. I can't wait for spring!

I think subconsciously I picked a March race to force me into training through the winter months.
2014-01-27 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4939184

Well, I sucked it up and got my run in at lunch. It was cold and gloomy. And wouldn't you know it, by the time I got cleaned up and dressed, the sun was out. Oh well. Not a spectacular run, but better than not running. 4 miles at 10:15 min/mi. I was discouraged by the pace considering this is my short run for the week and should have been a little faster, but when I looked back a few weeks ago in the plan, I realized the short runs now are just as long as the long runs then.

2014-01-28 3:34 PM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Just found out my wrist is broken. I'll be able to run and bike but no swimming for a few weeks.
2014-01-29 10:36 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Well rested Monday and it payed off, ran last night and it felt much better although I am beginning to experience some soreness on my left foot just in my middle 2 toes. Not really a numbness per say but almost a sore pressure point, idk I will continue to monitor. SO I have enjoyed posting on this forum so much I have decided to start a blog, I was an accomplished (very mildly accomplished) writer when I was a competitive sailor and thought I would start to document what it is like to be 260lbs and decide one day to just get up and start training for a tri. While I know there are a ton of site s and blogs out there many that I find or read come from the accomplished triathlete point of view, talking about what it was like back "in the day" (which was a Tuesday BTW if you ever wondered Anyway thought it would be a more relevant point of view to start writing now at 260lbs and write about what I learn as I learn it, idk maybe no one will ever read it but I think I will enjoy looking back at the end of each year and see what I've done. Still working on the layout and initial content but the site will be: www.260totri.com I'll let you all know when it goes live and would love some feedback from my fellow beginners and clyde/athena's. Swimming tonight and trying out some new goggles, they are a touch closer to a mask style but still at goggle size. Also orders some Lava pants from xterra, I hate using pull buoys and hope these deliver on the extra bouncy I am looking for while training, even at 260 I sink like a rock! Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Oh yeah question: Is there any significant shortcoming to doing my bike training on a gym type bike as opposed to my trainer at home or a true spinning cycle? Am I still getting a relevant workout when using them? I ride my trainer at home for just bike rides but am forced to go to gym for bricks and just don't feel like I am getting the same workout on the standard gym bike(again not a spinning bike, just a plain old gym bike).

Thanks!
2014-01-30 8:43 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Any one still here!?!? Getting kind of bummed there isn't more activity in this group.

Well regardless had a great workout tonight, hour on the bike then 10 mins on treadmill. Got in 18 miles on the bike at level 10 (whatever that equates to) with an adv cadence of 92. Ran a 10 min mile after that and felt like I had plenty in the tank to keep on going! Continuing to develop my new website hope to have it live soon!
2014-01-30 8:48 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah I had a rough day. did not sleep until 10 am and then I only got like 2 hours of sleep so I am taking a rest day. Yesterday I ran 3 miles and a swam and I followed my diet perfectly. I work up 30 mins with a bad headache and I have had it all day so I am resting today.
2014-01-31 5:30 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Yardville, NJ
Yes, I'm still here! I too am kinda bummed with the response on this thread... We started strong with 15 members or so and now it seems like we're down to 4 or 5. I don't know what has happened and people are replying when asked .

Anyhoo... It's been a crazy work week for Randi and I. Between work commitments and the bitter cold I haven't ran since Sunday. (2 of those days were scheduled rest, so I guess I should be too upset with myself). This weekend I have scheduled a 60 min run on Saturday and 40 min on Sunday. The forecast is for a heat wave (temps over 40F)!!!

Glad to see you guys are keeping at it, even when faced with bad weather and other obstacles!

I'll check with Randi and see if we can re-open the group to get some additional members.

2014-01-31 5:40 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Well rested Monday and it payed off, ran last night and it felt much better although I am beginning to experience some soreness on my left foot just in my middle 2 toes. Not really a numbness per say but almost a sore pressure point, idk I will continue to monitor. SO I have enjoyed posting on this forum so much I have decided to start a blog, I was an accomplished (very mildly accomplished) writer when I was a competitive sailor and thought I would start to document what it is like to be 260lbs and decide one day to just get up and start training for a tri. While I know there are a ton of site s and blogs out there many that I find or read come from the accomplished triathlete point of view, talking about what it was like back "in the day" (which was a Tuesday BTW if you ever wondered Anyway thought it would be a more relevant point of view to start writing now at 260lbs and write about what I learn as I learn it, idk maybe no one will ever read it but I think I will enjoy looking back at the end of each year and see what I've done. Still working on the layout and initial content but the site will be: www.260totri.com I'll let you all know when it goes live and would love some feedback from my fellow beginners and clyde/athena's. Swimming tonight and trying out some new goggles, they are a touch closer to a mask style but still at goggle size. Also orders some Lava pants from xterra, I hate using pull buoys and hope these deliver on the extra bouncy I am looking for while training, even at 260 I sink like a rock! Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Oh yeah question: Is there any significant shortcoming to doing my bike training on a gym type bike as opposed to my trainer at home or a true spinning cycle? Am I still getting a relevant workout when using them? I ride my trainer at home for just bike rides but am forced to go to gym for bricks and just don't feel like I am getting the same workout on the standard gym bike(again not a spinning bike, just a plain old gym bike).

Thanks!

I can't wait for the blog! It sounds great.

I don't think there is any shortcoming to riding a gym bike. If you're riding at a resistance that is challenging and putting in the time, I don't see how it can't help your biking. The one point I will make is don't try to translate the exact speed or distance to riding your bike outside. There will be a difference there. So once the weather breaks and you can ride outside, I highly recommend that. I actually find that riding my bike in the trainer is harder than riding on the road. This is a good thing for me because once I ride outside, I'm actually faster than I was on the trainer.

Same goes for the treadmill. I find that my speed and distance are different outside than they are in the treadmill.

I guess the key point is to make sure you log enough "race" training as you can prior to your race. For us as triathletes that means swim in open water, run outside and bike on the road. Winter is about building a cardio base. Spring is for race training. It's also important to practice and train on the little things like transition and nutrition, but there's time for that later.
2014-01-31 5:40 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by LJonesCPA

Just found out my wrist is broken. I'll be able to run and bike but no swimming for a few weeks.

Ouch, sorry to hear that!
2014-02-01 9:48 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
5 mile run to start the day. Now we're on to a day of sporting events. Basketball playoffs for our 13 yr old. County swim championship finals for our 17 yr old. His 400 free relays made it through to the finals!

What's on tap for everyone else?

2014-02-01 9:54 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Weekend motivation (I can't take credit, I lifted it from a friend's Facebook)

"There are only two options regarding commitment: you're either in or you're out. There is no such thing as life in between!"
2014-02-01 10:04 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Great quote! Headed to local high school track for my run today! Yes outside!!! WooHoo for 40 degrees, lol that sounds like something a crazy person would say. Have a good weekend everyone!

2014-02-01 10:08 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Great quote! Headed to local high school track for my run today! Yes outside!!! WooHoo for 40 degrees, lol that sounds like something a crazy person would say. Have a good weekend everyone!

I share your excitement for the weather. Randi and I head to the gym this morning for treadmill runs. I almost ditched her and ran outside. The 30 degrees felt like a heat wave! I guess it's all about perspective.
2014-02-01 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
ITs very snowy here. chances are I am going to go downstairs and hit the treadmill for a bit. Looks almost too scary to venture out today. Hopefully tomorrow its gym and the pool. I need to be more regular in the pool.
2014-02-01 12:07 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Oh man did the sun on my face ever feel good! 30min run and getting closer to the (for me) illusive 10 min mile, 2.9 was the number of the day and couldn't be happier!
2014-02-01 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Oh man did the sun on my face ever feel good! 30min run and getting closer to the (for me) illusive 10 min mile, 2.9 was the number of the day and couldn't be happier!

That is cool. I reached that one in my life it was pretty awesome. a 5k in 29.57. I am working on it. I am at 3 miles in 45 at the moment. I am starting at 3 miles and trying to get faster
2014-02-01 3:11 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Thanks feels great to be seeing measurable improvements! Not sure if anyone uses RoadID or not but just got mine and love it. Amazing something as simple as an if tag gives you a little piece of mind. Anyway I got the ankle one which is timing chip compatible and a spare sport wrist band which you can swap the tag between. One of the best websites I've ever used and products are cheap for a little piece of mind. Check them out if you have t seen before: http://roadid.com/invite/4BMCX-TAFZ9ZNC9Q3

2014-02-03 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by diablo243 Any one still here!?!? Getting kind of bummed there isn't more activity in this group. Well regardless had a great workout tonight, hour on the bike then 10 mins on treadmill. Got in 18 miles on the bike at level 10 (whatever that equates to) with an adv cadence of 92. Ran a 10 min mile after that and felt like I had plenty in the tank to keep on going! Continuing to develop my new website hope to have it live soon!

I am here, but rarely on BT.  I don't log anything here anymore, as it seems to be touch and go on whether or not it will save what I put in, so I don't track any training here.  I got my son-in-law in the water on Friday night and he is going to help get me focused on training, and I am going to help him with the swim and soon he will be kicking my butt.  He has a fear of not being able to breathe and will just stop swimming because of it.  That was my first time back in the pool for three years and it was like starting all over again.  It will be going back to the kick board and the pull buoy.  I am so out of shape that what I thought would be easy for me again, is much harder than I remember. I went from couch to 70.3 and back to couch.  Time to get back to longer workouts and better foods.

2014-02-03 10:13 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Yeah I don't track anything on here either, I use training peaks for my workout schedule and tracking, then Garmin Connect to upload my workout data to. TP and GC integrate so I can import my Garmin data to TP with little to no effort, I thought about using it on here but didn't see the point of entering data into yet another place. I have found many useful articles on BT and well of course this forum, bought a cpl things off classifieds and some things at a discount from vendors on here. Anyway the pool is my nemesis as well, I Thought about training with a snorkel for a while so I could work on stroke technique and whatnot without having to struggle with gasping for breath. It does get easier quick so keep the focus and desire and soon you'll be killing it in the pool again!
2014-02-03 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Is there a reason this isn't the STICKY on the top page of the Clyde/Athena forum?

2014-02-03 6:34 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Not sure why it isn't sticky on the Clyde Athena forum with the possible reason that it is listed under the mentor forum. Maybe we would do better to have it moved. I agree with Mike that we should open it back up and maybe pick up some more people.

I have been focused on my running and yes, while mike doesn't mind running outside when it is 40 degrees, I have found that I definitely am a warm weather runner and if it is anything under 60 I am on a treadmill. I have found that my endurance is and am able to do longer run to walk ratios. It does take me about 1/2 mile to warm up on the treadmill but the once I am, I feel great. I am so glad that I found the Jeff Galloway easy 5k app because it has really helped me ease my way into running again. It is almost time to start my triathlon training but for now, I am content with just running a few days a week. I did do the happy dance this weekend when I hit my lowest weight in over 5 years. Hope I continue to see the scale creep down but if it doesn't, as long as I keep doing what I'm doing, I am moving in the right direction.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28160 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100338 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?