Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-07-10 8:16 PM
in reply to: #800275

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - FULL
Trish, I forgot where you live - 50 degree water? YIPES! That was a pricey toe-dip, huh?

Just signed up for another race - the Camp Pendleton Sprint Tri. Kind of neat because it is a 500yd swim and 5K run, but a 30K bike. I like that longer bike - it's my favorite and strongest event.

Danny, here's the big question. I really like to swim - after the first ~400-500 yeards. Those first hundreds wear me out, feeling like I can't breathe. In the SDIT, I did stroke, breathe, stroke, breathe. I think I hyperventilated or something. The swim still went ok, but I know I could have done better. After those first hundreds, I swim smooth as silk. Breaths every 3 or four strokes, relaxed and feel great. Although the wetsuit may be a factor, I have done oean swims where I can keep my head down and stroke.

Now the big question: Since this race is only a 500 yd swim, how do I find my pace earlier? I'm not sure if I would be able to warm up first, but that may be one option.
Thanks!

2007-07-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: #878960

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

This just cracked me up! Sorry to laugh at your expense, but I think we have all had those moments.  It reminds me of a couple of times I dumped my bike as I pulled up to the intersection, just as I was feeling good about myself.  Nothing like having little kids in the car laughing at you as you try to get back to your feet....

Hope you didn't injure anything...glad to didn't have any run-ins with any cars...

Danny 

ccessex - 2007-07-10 8:18 AM Congratulations Bubba!! Great race - you are so fast on that bike! Just a funny story to start the morning. A few days ago after I finished my run a neighbor called and said "hey, saw you running and you are really looking great!" Could it be my new running skirt? Hmmm. Anyways, yesterday during my run just about in the same spot where my neighbor spotted me, I was thinking about what she said (pat on my own back for working so hard) when- SUDDENLY I tripped over the curb into the street. It just happened to be at 5:00 when there was a huge (stopped) line of traffic waiting for the light. There I was, arms cartheeling, nose nearly touching the ground, lurching into the street. Felt my hip and hamstring muscles go TWANGG!!. Felt my already flushed face get impossibly redder. Gingerly stepped back onto the curb and continued my way (humbly) home. Oh well, tomorrow's a new day and hopefully there were no neighbors that witnessed my "fall from grace." Happy training and look out for those massive and uneven dangerous curbs (ha-ha)!

2007-07-11 8:24 PM
in reply to: #879413

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-07-10 10:57 AM The water was maybe 55 and neither of us had a wetsuit. I guess I'm a wimp!

I guess I'm a wimp too!!  last time I tried to swim in water that cold with no wetsuit, I got a headache that lasted for days!!!

2007-07-11 8:32 PM
in reply to: #880330

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-07-10 6:16 PM Now the big question: Since this race is only a 500 yd swim, how do I find my pace earlier? I'm not sure if I would be able to warm up first, but that may be one option. Thanks!

Does the trouble the first 500 yards happen in training swims also?  If so, you options are warm up swimming, or maybe with some moderate running.

If this is a race only issue, then you need to not allow yourself to either get too psyched out at the start, or not go out too hard (or both).

If you think about it, you may realize that your swim technique changes after that first 500.   Are you slowing down your stroke into longer, productive strokes?  Getting separated from the pack, and not worrying about contact/face splashing? Other?

Force yourself to breath as you described above sooner.  I sometimes force myself to bilateral breath every 3 or 5 strokes, and it helps me get into a rhythm.

Hope that helps.

Danny 

2007-07-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: #882153

User image

Veteran
I was going to suggest a short jog, too, Carol, if you absolutely can't swim to warmup. I think sometimes just the shock of the water + making yourself swim right away is just too much for the heart to deal with, so your body goes into flight or fight, which is not a good way to start an endurance event. The jog will get your heart used to being in exercise mode, so it only has the water shock to deal with when you start out. Keep good thoughts, too - maybe a mantra (favorite song, poem, verse, hymn, anything really) to keep your mind focused inside rather than on what's going on around you. Is it a beach start or deep water? I like deep water better because you don't have so much flailing and you don't have that water shock then have to start swimming right away.

Trish
2007-07-17 11:12 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

It's awfully quiet in here.  How is everyone doing?  Finding time to train?

Give us a shout and let us know you're still kicking!!! 

2007-07-17 11:42 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

As Posted on Bubba's logs:

"Heading to LA for work on the motorcycle. Hopefully I'll get a ride in this afternoon.

OUCH!  Well in 20 years it's never happened, but today I got hit by a car on my motorcycle.  Laid it down on the freeway.  I have raspberries all over the place, but in general, I'm ok.  No broken bones or anything like that.   The bike is pretty much toast.  It will likely get totalled by the insurance company, but that's a 'wait and see'.  Anyway, I'm pretty stiff and sore right now and won't probably be working out today. "

Holy Cow, I haven't looked at everyone's logs since last week, and missed this until this morning!!

Jay, Glad to see it sounds like you are OK.  That could have been a disaster.   And...oh by the way...Isee you have hardly missed a day working out since this happened.   Sheesh...i feel like a REAL slacker now!!!   Just kidding ....Glad to see you are ok...too bad about the motorcycle.  I haven't rode one regularly, since the insurance company "bought one" from me around 20 years ago.

Keep on training!!! 

2007-07-17 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
More from Bubba's log:
"Ran the regular Tuesday am 10k loop with Nicole. What a mess. My right instep blister from the Carlsbad Tri is just healing and still sore. My right hip is a bit sore from my motorcycle wreck. My left ankle seems sore from a twist a few weeks ago while hiking in Big Bear... I couldn't find a proper limp that could relieve the aches and pains.

No worries though, we ran well at 1:03 our regular pace, just over 10 min/mile for 6.2 miles. "

No worries though??! Bubba, you're one tough cracker! So sorry to hear about your wreck and praise the Lord you are okay. Any other sane (read non-triathlete) would rest a few days, but nooooo Bubba just jumps back in, aches and pains and all. You take away any excuses us mere mortals may have!

Hope your hip, ankle, foot, all other body parts are healing well.
Carol

Edited by ccessex 2007-07-17 1:39 PM
2007-07-17 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Yikes! You are tough, Bubba. My hubby just sold his a couple of months ago, since we significantly down-sized our garage space with the new house. He was sad to see it go, but it's tough to ride around here - either blazing heat, gale-force winds or pouring rain most days (if you're not a morning person - mornings are lovely)! I used to worry about him every time he took the thing out, too.

So, I'm doing the 10K this Saturday and I'm a little worried, I have to admit. It's a significantly longer run than I've done before (7.5K is about my longest) and I want to do well. I'm hoping to come in with faster than 12 m/m average. My only issue will be those last few K's, you know? I'd welcome any thoughts on pacing - I only have a stopwatch, so I don't know how much I can actually do, but if anyone has tips, please send my way!

Thanks, hope everyone's doing well with training and life this week,
Trish
2007-07-17 8:27 PM

User image

Regular

Thanks everyone for the kind words and praise.  I'm fine really, just a bit sore.   Danny, I'm afraid the insurance company is going to buy mine too, which means I'll be about $3k short of replacing mine even with an older used model. 

How is everyone else's training going?  

Ronn, I see you've been increasing your running mileage, you have any tri's planned this summer? 

Ron (rselvage) I see you've been busy these past few days too, you have any races scheduled? 

Gary, how's the swim coming?  We miss ya' buddy, come on back!

Trish, I check your log because you leave me 'inspirations' and you've been doing terrific.  I see you've been riding quite a bit, but you gave the 10k this weekend?  You're going to do fine.  You may want to get in at least an easy jog of a few miles though before then just to loosen up and find your running legs since if you don't it'll have been 10 days since your last run if you wait until Saturday.  Just a thought.  Anyway, you're going to do fine.  With your bike fitness you can do it no problem.  Slow and steady.

Carol, after reading it again, I don't see exactly why you can't swim in the warm-up?   If it's at all an option, I find it a HUGE help.  I usually swim at least 10 minutes before my races.  Just my 2 cents.

Anyone doing the Solana Beach Sprint coming up in a week and a half?   I wanted to do it, and was down in that area yesterday.  The roads are all torn to heck...I don't know if they'll be repaved by then or not.  So they're going to be really smooth and new or you should seriously be on a mountain bike.  They're really all shredded in preparation for the re-asphalting. 

Danny, I see you're gettin' back in the saddle.  Good for you.  It'll all come back, give it time man. 

I have a ? Danny...  the swim is only .25 miles.  Now I know perfectly well that my tri-wetsuit helps my swim, but for only 375 yards, I'm thinking why bother.  Just blitz the swim, and save that 30 seconds getting out of the suit and just get right onto the bike.  Of course if they don't fix the road, I honestly won't do it.  

Anyway, hope everyone else is fine. 

2007-07-18 7:07 AM

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
Hey Bubba,

Training is starting to take shape again. I have a Sprint Tri in Socorro, NM on August 11 and one in Los Alamos, NM on August 18. I'm Excited about Socorro because the swim is only 300 yrds. Some sort of glich with their normal pool and they had to find an alternate.

Sorry hear about your bike wreck. I ride also and so far have only wrecked off-road (no asphalt and no cars).

Ron

2007-07-19 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Trish, you'll do great on you 10K. That race adreneline will kick in those last mile or so - just listen for all the people cheering at the finish line and let that pull you in. I wish that particular past of the race lasted longer (the run up to the finish line, I mean!). Are you running it solo or as part of a relay team of a tr?

Ron, great that you are back in the swing! How does your bike feel after you fitting? I have a race on the 11th also-whoohoo!

Have a great night everyone!
Carol
2007-07-22 12:48 AM

User image

Regular
So....how was it Trish?  I'm sure you did great!
2007-07-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #890358

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-07-17 6:27 PM

I have a ? Danny... the swim is only .25 miles. Now I know perfectly well that my tri-wetsuit helps my swim, but for only 375 yards, I'm thinking why bother. Just blitz the swim, and save that 30 seconds getting out of the suit and just get right onto the bike. Of course if they don't fix the road, I honestly won't do it.

It is a short swim (sometimes the buoy gets blown around, resulting in slightly longer distances).  It's a personal preference...I would probably wear my wetsuit still, but I have to justify my recent purchase of a new DeSoto Black Wave

Also depends on on fast you can get rid of your wetsuit.

There is a long run up the ramp at Fletchers Cove.  I would have plenty of time to get my top half of the wetsuit off before getting to transition.   I ran past Fletcher's Cove on Sunday and  didn't notice the construction....maybe I missed it??

2007-07-23 6:46 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Congrats to Trish for an excellent run in the Eppie's Great Race 34.

The three sister team did great and had a good time along the way!

Yeah- Trish (and sisters!!). 

2007-07-24 11:55 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hey Bubba,

Did you decide if you are doing the  Solana Beach Tri?  I just signed up as a Swim Buddy, and will be out there.

Danny 

2007-07-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: #898014

User image

Veteran
Thanks everyone, for the encouragement. It was a great time, and we'll definitely do it again. I'm up for the Ironperson division - I love to kayak and don't get enough chances to do it, but it's crazy crowded on the river at this race. My sister was describing some of the problems people had - there's a C2 rapid and I guess people were tipping over and broaching the stream, etc. She had some hairy moments behind one guy in his very long sea kayak! There are a lot of inexperienced racers on these courses. My cyclist sister got pretty frustrated about the coffee klatches on the bike path (I didn't get her very close to the front of the peloton, so she had a lot of passing to do!). If we do the relay again, I'll have to really work on my speed. The runners were great - encouraging each other and joking the whole way. I had a great time.

Looking forward to Luna Bar in August!
2007-07-27 11:28 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

What are everyone's training plans this weekend?

On Saturday, I am doing a long, easy bike ride up the coast (4-5 hours), followed by some family time hanging at the beach. 

On Sunday, I will be a swim buddy at the Solana Beach Sprint triathlon, and then do a long, easy run (around 12 miles); followed by some yard work (this is going in my training log!)and hanging around the house.

Anybody else have some good plans?? 

2007-07-27 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Whew! That's some long sessions, Danny! I have a medium run (3 or so miles) and a long (for me!) ride of about 1-1/4 hours. Nothing too special otherwise. My tomatoes are just starting to blush, so maybe I'll pick a few and let them ripen in the window-sill, or make green-tomato salsa. Maybe cut down a couple of saplings that are pushing on my fence and do some general pruning. Oh yeah, the lawn needs mowing, too! Maybe I should take the dogs to the beach ...
2007-07-27 7:17 PM

User image

Regular

Nice job Trish! 

Danny, I haven't been down to Solana Beach, but I heard from a buddy that they resurfaced the roads.  I didn't get pre-registered, so I'm still undecided about racing on Sunday.  I kayaked and hiked yesterday and ran 7 this morning, but maybe with a full day and 1/2 of rest I'll be fine - it's a short race.  I'll have to see if they have race-day registration.  If they do, I may do it...I'm still waffling.

Anyone else doing it?

Jay 

2007-07-27 7:29 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Bubba,

Sounds like you have been your usual slacker self...!!!!!

I'm guessing you would be fine to do the race if you rested completely before then.

Maybe come down and hang out even if you don't race! You could always go for a long, slow 12 mile run with me and my buddy.

Hope to see you there.

Let me know if you are interested in the long run.

2007-07-27 10:02 PM
in reply to: #904775

User image

Regular

Hey Danny,

What's "slow" for you guys?  My max long run has been 11 miles. 

2007-07-29 12:03 AM
in reply to: #904883

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-07-27 8:02 PM

Hey Danny,

What's "slow" for you guys? My max long run has been 11 miles.

Our 10 mile run last week was at 11min pace.  Probably the same for the 12 mile run on Sunday.

Trying to keep the HR down during the run , and take it nice and easy.

We'll be heading out right after the swim portion of the tri (as soon as we can get changed and ready to go).

I'll PM you my cell #.  Give me a call if interested, and we can work out the details.

I'll be at the race at 6:45 (meeting with the other swim buddies at Amanda Benedicts sponsor booth - Some legal firm I think...). 

2007-07-30 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi everyone! Just checking in - Bubba, did you do the Solana race? I kind of wish I had done that one, but my Pendleton race is in just a few weeks!

Danny, your slow, easy bikes and rides are awesome! I wish I was that slow and easy!

It would be fun to plan a BT mentor group ride sometime!

Well, it is that time of year and football has begun. I've got three playing Pop Warner tackle this time around, so things are starting to get a little hectic (and fun!). Just scooted out to the pool with my little guy while my hubby took everyone else to practice.

Have a great day, and train on!!
Carol
2007-07-31 12:52 AM
in reply to: #907543

User image

Regular

I ended up not racing and not running with Danny, but opted for a much shorter 5.5 miler.  Sounds like it was a rough one (the run) according to Danny, but maybe I'll get to go next weekend.  

I got in a good 23 mile ride this AM and will run my usual 10k tomorrow am with my wife.  

My two boys started Pop Warner tonight too.  Of course they're at the same time 10 miles apart (different age/weight divisions) so my evenings are getting busy too.  I missed my normal Monday night Swim.  I'm going to have to re-vamp my entire workout plan - at lease what I was doing in the evening which was mostly my Mon/Wed night swims.  But in a month they start games on Saturday mornings too.  Ahhh the joys of children! 

Have a good week everyone.  Keep putting in your time and it'll pay off.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13