Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-05-24 7:52 AM
in reply to: #814445

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-23 8:01 PM Well, Guys, tonight was a mental training night. Watched Rocky Balboa! Next on the list is The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith (no I didn't spell it wrong). Maybe it's the boxer in me, or maybe it's because Rocky is basically a love story, but I cried through the whole thing. Guess you could say "there's some stuff in my basement", too. I was pondering what triathlon has done for me. Because there are days when you wonder if you really should be spending all this time, energy and money on tri's. What do you really get from it? My answer is that I get some self esteem. I'm choosing to do something I never thought I could ever do, and I'm not too darn bad at it, as it turns out. I have no delusions of winning anything. But I will hold my own. And I will hold my head up. I see that with better self worth, I am able to be a better doctor. When the patients ask me for my opinion, I can give it to them with more authority. When a particularly nasty patient wants to yell at my secretary because she (the patient) misunderstood her appointment time and had to wait a whole 10 minutes for me to finish up with another legitimately scheduled patient, I now have no problem telling her to stop abusing my secretary verbally and that she is most welcome to find another doctor to serve her better! A year ago, I would have tried to kiss her butt instead. And then hate myself for doing so. Another thing I've noticed is that my kids look at me with more respect. I respect myself more, and so I can command it from them. Not in a fear sort of way, just in a "my mom is Tuf so we respect her" sort of way. It's a far cry from a few years ago when my oldest boy actually punched ME in the nose and made it bleed because I "made" his daddy go away! I carry myself differently now, and the community can see that. I'm no longer that poor chiropractor lady that got totally screwed over by her lousy ex and is left with all his bills AND three kids to raise alone. Now, I'm Pene, the doctor turned triathlete/boxer that looks great these days and is doing a pretty darn good job with those kids of hers. And isn't it wonderful to see her so much happier without what's his face dragging her down! And when there are those days that seem to go on forever and I wonder if I'll have the energy to keep working so hard and get my kids off to college and not lose my mind, I just remember that I can swim in a lake and not drown, bike over some killer hills, and run for a long time, even if it's not fast (yet). Not to mention I can do 100 pushups! I have enough endurance to get through life. I love Rocky's line to his kid: "It's not how hard you can punch, it's how many punches you can take and still move forward". Here's to moving forward!!!

Great post, Pene.  I think you're really understanding (which is amazing for a beginner) that so much of triathlon is mental.  "Your mind controls the body, and the mind is limitless" is one of my favorite quotes that drives home the notion that you mind is always the thing that will tell you to slow or quit before you body has too.  Your body can almost always keep the pace or go longer, it's our minds that can't take it.   

We all have moments in training or racing where we think that "this sucks" or "why am I doing this" or "I'm dying here".  In those moments, we should try not to dwell on any discomfort or negative things but instead focus on the positive just like Pene mentioned: "I just remember that I can swim in a lake and not drown, bike over some killer hills, and run for a long time."   Personally, I tell myself things like.  "The wind slows everyone down.  It's not out to get just you!" OR "You're doing a good job of staying aero" OR "You're heart rate's in a good range, David".  What ever it is, try to stay positive during bad times.

Pene, I'm really happy to hear that triathlon has already given your more confidence and self-esteem.  It has done the same for me, although it seems I have yet to see a really big care-over of that into other areas of my life like you have.  I think you'll find that as you get a little more experienced that you'll gain even more confidence.  One of my favorite things about IM training is the perspective you gain.  For example, in 2005, I was training for my first Half IM (HIM) and I had many days where I wondered how on earth I was going to be able to run 13.1 miles after biking for 3 hours!  It seems too far to me.  Then in summer of 2006, after many long IM training workouts, I did my 2nd HIM as a practice or "B" race!  It wasn't a big deal anymore and it didn't even seem all that long to me anymore.  Same thing with my 50 miler training when I ran a 29 miler by myself as a training run.  

It changed my perspective on what is achievable, on what I can accomplish!  And for me, this is the essence of triathlon!

Anyway, thanks again for writing this great post and keep'em coming.  

2007-05-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: #814770

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

If I don't place in top 10 I will probably be disappointed based on times from the last 2 years.

Be careful thinking like that... You never know what other speed demons are sand bagging too.  You're goal should always be to do your best the entire race.  If you gave it your all, and still came in 11th place, you can't be disappointed right! 

However, I know what you mean about wanting to place well.  I'm the same way! 

2007-05-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: #814804

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-05-24 7:57 AM

If I don't place in top 10 I will probably be disappointed based on times from the last 2 years.

Be careful thinking like that... You never know what other speed demons are sand bagging too.  You're goal should always be to do your best the entire race.  If you gave it your all, and still came in 11th place, you can't be disappointed right! 

However, I know what you mean about wanting to place well.  I'm the same way! 

No, your right.  That is definately in the back of my mind.  I guess my main goal is to break 1 hr., feel comfortable at the start of the swim and have fast transitions.  Trust me, if I don't break top 10 I won't lose any sleep.
2007-05-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Pene:

That was a great post! Very inspiring. The Rocky quote about moving forward reminded me of a blog I was followed the year before last. It was an ultrarunner that was running the Appalachian Trail some 2160 miles of it. She is 55-56 years old, (if you need some more inspiration). One of her constant credo's in her day to day log, that I latched onto was RFM or relentless forward motion. It can be a metafor for a lot things in life, but it sure applies to day to day training and racing.
2007-05-24 1:02 PM

Veteran
Being stationed overseas has pretty much sucked for me and my family, but there are moments when it works out nice. Today my wife and I decided to take a break and get away; so we booked a mini vacation to the Alps. One of the really cool things about this is that I get to go running here:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I am going to try to get in a half-marathon for training but I haven't done a lot of hills before so it will be a challenge. Lot's of good scenery to keep my mind occupied and later that afternoon we're off to explore a lake at the base of Germanys highest mountain (maybe even a swim). Also, I already booked a sport massage for the day after. Now, any ideas how to train between now and the 7th of June? I'd really like to be out there for a few hours; just me, a camelback, some gels, and my camera (to share the run with you folks).
2007-05-24 1:20 PM

Connecticut
I think I have to move out to Texas to train with Dave!!!!!!!! I don't think my wife will approve though. Okay, first ride with my new profile airstrike aerobars......they definately take a little getting used to, steering was a little wobbly, but I felt like I was in a much better position on the bike. I don't have enough miles on them to see if they inprove my mph yet. I will keep you posted.
It is great to read about different peoples situations and goals all brought together by a common thread. Keep the posts coming, I am learning a lot!!!!!

2007-05-24 1:24 PM

Regular
Indiana
Pene,
Great post and I am glad you have turned your life around. Its amazing what the body is capable of, good and bad. Thanks to everyone in this group I have learned quite a bit and am constantly inspired to keep at it.
Kevin
2007-05-24 2:04 PM
in reply to: #815497

Veteran
kevdia - 2007-05-25 8:20 AM

I think I have to move out to Texas to train with Dave!!!!!!!! I don't think my wife will approve though. Okay, first ride with my new profile airstrike aerobars......they definately take a little getting used to, steering was a little wobbly, but I felt like I was in a much better position on the bike. I don't have enough miles on them to see if they inprove my mph yet. I will keep you posted.
It is great to read about different peoples situations and goals all brought together by a common thread. Keep the posts coming, I am learning a lot!!!!!

I have the same bars and almost crashed the other day. I was looking behind me to see if I could get over and got real wobbly (is this a word?). I have already accepted the fact that I'm going to crash and so it's really just a matter of how bad.
2007-05-24 2:08 PM

Veteran
Pene -

I think it's just great that you've been able to use this experience to better your life. From your posts, you seem like a very positive and motivated person and I would really not want to be the person standing in between you and one of your goals. Also, thanks for all of the information that you have been posting. I still need to check out that bike fit site and I am waiting for the workout plans from the seminar.
2007-05-24 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
LOVE the pictures!! Just like the Sound of Music! How completely fantastic to be able to train there!

Thanks all for the kind words. Glad I didn't weird yall out! As the token female here, I worry that I might say something you guys find all mushy or too emotional. But I've been told guys have just as many insecurities and emotional days, they just don't show it as easily....

Well, today was a rainy, rainy day. So, no outside bike run swim for me. Maybe for the hard cores, but not this chick. So, I went swimming at the Y and actually did my personal best. I swam a warm up 400 with the kickboard and stuff in 13 minutes, took a 2 minute rest, did another 400 in 8 minutes, two minute rest and the last 400 in 8.5 minutes. I'm pretty satisfied with that, as I've only been doing the crawl for a couple months now. I realize the open water with 274 other swimmers might be a lot longer and harder, but in March when I did my first ever little indoor tri, I did the 400 in almost 14 minutes. So, this is good for me.

Then I went to the bike shop. Yep they see me coming and start rubbing their little greasy hands together cuz I've spent a mint there already! Anyway, the NICE fellow was working today (they are all nice, but some of the guys there look the the Do the Dew dudes--you know, the ones that go off a mountain cliff on their mountain bikes and land perfectly and then get off and go hang gliding upside down while eating a whole pie, and finish with jumping out of an airplane naked! All before breakfast!). So, I asked him ALL the really stupid questions I had about my particular bike, its gears, etc. And he was great and patient. I got a mirror installed on my bike so that bleeping blue car doesn't surprise me again, and learned just exactly what tire pressure I need on the bike (and got a tire gauge/pump), learned that my Minoura trainer WILL work with my tribike (that's what that stick thingy is for--so you can get her on the trainer! Who knew!). Also got a cadence computer put on the rear tire. AND since I didn't have to buy a new trainer like I thought, I invested in a map of all the Wisconsin bike trails and a 4 bike carrier for my Blazer so the kids can go biking with me on some of our fabulous trails. LaCrosse is now a bronze level bike friendly community and we have Human Powered Trails (7 miles or so that they do time trials on) and the Velo club even does road bike time trials.

Bottom line--I will feel a lot more comfortable on my bike now and will really get on her more often, even if it is indoors on the trainer. But miles put on for conditioning in any situation will help me. And soon I'll find that babysitter person and get outdoors on her more often. Thursdays are my outdoor bike days, but....when it rains cats and dogs, you have to go to Plan B! Oh yeah, I also ordered an aero bike water bottle with a straw--another little solution for my little problems! In a year I'll look back at this day and REALLY smile

Sooooo, let's hear some of YOUR "reasons why I do triathlon"!! Bet that will be interesting!!
2007-05-24 5:12 PM
in reply to: #815497

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kevdia - 2007-05-24 1:20 PM I think I have to move out to Texas to train with Dave!!!!!!!!

Kevin, forget moving to TX!  We should all move to Europe to train Alps with Tim!  Those pictures are awesome.  Thanks for sharing, but I'm quite jealous.

2007-05-24 5:18 PM
in reply to: #815468

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Timo - 2007-05-24 1:02 PM Now, any ideas how to train between now and the 7th of June? I'd really like to be out there for a few hours; just me, a camelback, some gels, and my camera (to share the run with you folks).

Tim, I'm a little confused by your question.  Does your vacation start on June 7th and you want to train before then in order to be able to run a few hours while your there?  Could you please be a little more specific?

Regardles, you definitely should take a camera and take some nice shots!  I'd love to see them!

2007-05-24 6:00 PM
in reply to: #816014

Regular
Indiana
phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-24 5:47 PM
Sooooo, let's hear some of YOUR "reasons why I do triathlon"!! Bet that will be interesting!!

Four years ago I was overweight at 230lbs, one morning before work I was trying to tie my shoes and it was all I could do to sit in a chair, hold my breath, and tie one shoe. Rest and repeat the other shoe. I told myself that that was it. I started weight training January 2003 and stuck with healthy eating very consistently. Three years into training I was getting a little bored and added in running. Starting with a run walk program from coolrunning.com and just kept at it while maintaing the weights. A little over four years have gone by, my weight is 175 and the weight training has ceased as I am now in full triathlon training which I just started in March of this year. I have run several 5K's this year, two in Guam which was a great experience, a 1/2 marathon and my first triathlon on May 19. I really enjoy the training part and look forward to each workout. My workouts are always late evening after my wife and kids are taken care of.

2007-05-24 8:02 PM
in reply to: #816101

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kp41 - 2007-05-24 6:00 PM
phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-24 5:47 PM Sooooo, let's hear some of YOUR "reasons why I do triathlon"!! Bet that will be interesting!!
Four years ago I was overweight at 230lbs, one morning before work I was trying to tie my shoes and it was all I could do to sit in a chair, hold my breath, and tie one shoe. Rest and repeat the other shoe. I told myself that that was it. I started weight training January 2003 and stuck with healthy eating very consistently. Three years into training I was getting a little bored and added in running. Starting with a run walk program from coolrunning.com and just kept at it while maintaing the weights. A little over four years have gone by, my weight is 175 and the weight training has ceased as I am now in full triathlon training which I just started in March of this year. I have run several 5K's this year, two in Guam which was a great experience, a 1/2 marathon and my first triathlon on May 19. I really enjoy the training part and look forward to each workout. My workouts are always late evening after my wife and kids are taken care of.

Kevin, congratulations on the hugely successful weight loss.  That's awesome, and hopefully triathlon will help you keep it off now! I also admire that fact that you put your family first and find time to train around their schedule. 

2007-05-24 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

For all of you that have added aero-bars to your road bikes, please pay attention to your fit.  If you can afford it, look into getting a professional fit.  If you don't want to get true professional fit, try to take it to a trusted bike store and have one of their triathlon guys look at you in the aero position.  Also, take a look at all the pictures and info at Bikesport Michigan's site here.  Their fit pictures here and here are excellent.  Also, the link that Pene provide earlier is a very good one as well.

One of the main concerns is your hip angle that is formed between your torso and your upper thigh when in the aero position.  This is often too accute when in the aero position on a road bike b/c your seat if often too far back.  Try moving the seat forward to open this position up.  When I did this on my road bike, I even had to buy a new "zero-offset" seat post that would move me even further forward.  

Bike fit is very important for comfort, performance, and for injury prevention.  

2007-05-24 8:23 PM
in reply to: #816014

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-24 4:47 PM LOVE the pictures!! Just like the Sound of Sooooo, let's hear some of YOUR "reasons why I do triathlon"!! Bet that will be interesting!!

One of just many reason's why I do triathlon is too meet inspirational people such as in the group.  Thank you all for sharing.   This wonderful story that occurred during my first IM is another reason triathlon is so great.  Be sure to read what's in the picture.

2007-05-24 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for your story, KP! Did you exercise all in aerobic zone then to lose the weight? I'm glad you had to run/walk at first, too. I sure do enough of that it seems--or at least I do with the intervals! Have to slow way down and catch my breath. I hope in time the run gets easier. Sure helps to hear others have had to struggle too. You have done very well! Especially balancing tri's with the family! They are likely quite proud of you!!

I'm practicing on my tribike on the trainer now to get used to the aerobars and the clips. Figure it will take awhile for my back,etc. to get used to that position, so even if it is on the trainer, but every night for awhile, perhaps that will help my body get used to the bikefit? And my butt to the saddle......
2007-05-24 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Very cute story, David! Hard to imaging someone finishing in 19 hours and "looking good"! Did he get to be counted as a finisher, then? I thought it had to be within 17 hours, but thought I had read somewhere that one IM does NOT have a time limit to be counted as a "finisher"? Personally, as long as I cross that finish line, I'm COUNTING it! AND getting the brand

And after watching Rocky last night, doing the Tough Guy contest next March doesn't seem too hard, either. Hey, all I have to do is survive three little minutes in a ring with some chick! As long as she doesn't go by Billy the Blue (from Million Dollar Baby) or weigh 300, I'm SET!!
2007-05-25 1:04 AM
in reply to: #816055

Veteran
dgillen - 2007-05-25 12:18 PM

Timo - 2007-05-24 1:02 PM Now, any ideas how to train between now and the 7th of June? I'd really like to be out there for a few hours; just me, a camelback, some gels, and my camera (to share the run with you folks).

Tim, I'm a little confused by your question. Does your vacation start on June 7th and you want to train before then in order to be able to run a few hours while your there? Could you please be a little more specific?

Regardles, you definitely should take a camera and take some nice shots! I'd love to see them!

David,

Vacation starts on the 3rd but the 7th is the day that I have the time to go out for a morning run (0700-1000). I know that I can run the distance just fine, but I live in farm country with no hills, much less mountains. My question was do you have any suggestions on things I can do now to help me deal with the hills I will encounter while out on the run? I read something about using a stairmaster but I'm not so sure that will help. I'm not looking for anyone to rack their brains on this one, just wondering if you had any suggestions.

Thanks
2007-05-25 7:59 AM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
I have question: How does everyone keep track of laps in the pool. I have tried, and maybe it's just a lack of concentration, but I get lost pretty quick, start thinking about other stuff etc.....

My reasons for trying to tri (since I haven't done one yet), are a couple I think. One is to test myself, a challange I guess. Secondly, more personally, but I'm sure some can relate, my son is in the Army (go figure...ArmyDad), soon to go downrange for the first time. So I thought I would need someplace or something to do with the stress, concern, fear and I thought this would keep me busy and certainly a more healthy alternative than other things I could do with all that stuff that is sure to come. Good news, ArmySon is coming home for a week or so before his goes to the badplace.
2007-05-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: #816591

User image

Champion
Butler
armydad - 2007-05-25 7:59 AM I have question: How does everyone keep track of laps in the pool. I have tried, and maybe it's just a lack of concentration, but I get lost pretty quick, start thinking about other stuff etc..... My reasons for trying to tri (since I haven't done one yet), are a couple I think. One is to test myself, a challange I guess. Secondly, more personally, but I'm sure some can relate, my son is in the Army (go figure...ArmyDad), soon to go downrange for the first time. So I thought I would need someplace or something to do with the stress, concern, fear and I thought this would keep me busy and certainly a more healthy alternative than other things I could do with all that stuff that is sure to come. Good news, ArmySon is coming home for a week or so before his goes to the badplace.
For me counting is pretty easy since I swim about 2:00 per hundred.  I can pretty much divide my time by 2 to see how many laps I swam.  I usually have to add a few laps thought depending on how much time I swim.  This actually makes the time go quicker since I am not always looking at my watch.  You can also get a sport watch with a lap feature and hit the lap button after every lap.

2007-05-25 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
I did not really have some life changing event happen to me.  Really I started running about 2 years ago because my father-in-law and brother-in-law both did and sounded fun.  At my heaviest I was probably 240 but was 6'7" so I hid the weight well, so I did want to lose some of the weight, never planned to do a tri but I always watched the Kona race when I was younger and thought it was cool.  I really only ran short distances, generally 5K, when I first started until I got my Forerunner and then constantly tried to go farther or faster to push myself.  Worked my way to 1/2 mary and a few races between 1/2 mary and 3/4 mary then decided last year to skip the mary and do a ultra (50K).  In the middle of training I started swimming for a less stressful workout and decided to do my first sprint.  Bought a bike about a month before the race and have been hooked ever since.  I have done 2 pool sprints and a du and will be attempting my first OWS tri on Monday (super sprint) with the hope of doing a HIM this September.
2007-05-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: #816591

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

armydad - 2007-05-25 7:59 AM I have question: How does everyone keep track of laps in the pool. I have tried, and maybe it's just a lack of concentration, but I get lost pretty quick, start thinking about other stuff etc

Dave, I set my watch by the side of the pool at hit the lap button every 100 yards.  I could do it every time I come back to the watch, which would be 50 yards, but I since swimming pace is so often measured in time/100 yards, I do it that way.   You still have to remember to hit the lap button and sometimes I forget, but it's a lot better than counting every lap.

Also, my watch displays the lap count at well.  Thus, I don't even have to remember how many 100s I've done.  If I see I'm on lap 4, then I know I've done 400 yards!

If you have a waterproof watch, you could just wear your watch, but mine is a Polar and I've had problems when I push the buttons underwater, and thus I leave it at the side of the pool. 

2007-05-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: #816445

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

David, Vacation starts on the 3rd but the 7th is the day that I have the time to go out for a morning run (0700-1000). I know that I can run the distance just fine, but I live in farm country with no hills, much less mountains. My question was do you have any suggestions on things I can do now to help me deal with the hills I will encounter while out on the run? I read something about using a stairmaster but I'm not so sure that will help. I'm not looking for anyone to rack their brains on this one, just wondering if you had any suggestions. Thanks

OK, thanks for clarifying Tim. I wouldn't worry to much about trying to squeeze in some hill training before the 7th. It would likely not provide much benefit since the 7th is only a couple of weeks away. I'd just take nice short strides on the hills, and if they're too steep, walk'em. If you're going to try to about there for 3 hrs, it's probably a good idea to walk some, if not all, of the hills anyway. This is what ultra-runners do all the time. You're HR will rise on the hills as will your perceived exertion, but try to not let it get out of control.

Above all, have a good time. Don't worry about pace or distance or anything. Enjoy the fact that you're fit and can experience such a wonderful thing as a run in the mountains.

And take pictures and let us know how it goes.

David

Edited by dgillen 2007-05-25 11:05 AM
2007-05-25 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
OK team.  You have an assignment this weekend to improve your bike handling skills.  Try to duplicate what you see in this video, and be sure to use your aero-bars if you have them.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36