BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-02-16 12:03 AM
in reply to: #1215620

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!!

rsand222 - 2008-02-15 9:20 PM My question is do you think it is more beneficial for me ove the course of this plan to just slowly increase my pace? For instance today I had a 30 minute run scheduled, so I just ran a 5K in 27:15. Now next time should I keep striving to improve on a 5K time or just slow down and put in the minutes?

Keep your pace moderate and build your base, and your endurance.  Do that and work on running with good form.  Try to focus on regulated breathing, so that you can stay loose and relaxed while maintaining a moderate level.

You'll have plenty of opportunity to start increasing your pace...

rsand222 - 2008-02-15 9:20 PM Gear question for the group, I am a first timer who has a hybrid road/mountain bike. Mongoose frame. Now, I could swap the tires for road, then get new pedals and aero bars and try to convert it to some sort of Tri-bike. What do you guys think? Is it worth the efforts and cost? Any advice or suggestions welcome.

I would switch the tires for a smoother tread (less rolling resistance), but would skip the rest.  If possible try to borrow/rent a road bike to use for your races.  But at this point, have alot of fun and don't sweat it too much. 

rsand222 - 2008-02-15 9:20 PM Note to all, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the kids from NIU, my wife and I both are alumni from Northern with many friends and neighbors who have kids there. Rick from Chicago Spring is coming........hang in there

Terrible situation....is it me or is there a story like this every few days lately?? 

2008-02-16 12:09 AM
in reply to: #1213929

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

MilkeC - 2008-02-15 5:13 AM Hey guys, Hope everyone is doing great, on my side these past two weeks have been crazy, I got sick this past week and yesterday I started feeling kind of sick again, this crazy weather here in Dallas is driving my body crazy. Today I feel much better than yesterday, I just hope to feel great today and tomorrow since I have my first attempt at a duathlon this upcoming Sunday. Any tips for first timer? Thanks, have a good weekend!!!! Mike

Hi Mike,

Is it bike then run? or Run, bike, run ? 

1st time??  Make sure to keep a good heads up on the bike as you are riding in bike traffic.

Stay to the right unless you are passing (be sure to look before moving left or right to avoid any collisions).

Try to increase your pedal cadence and "spin" more towards the end of the bike to help flush lactic acid from your leg muscles prior to starting the run. 

Try to have your transition area organized very well so that you can get in/out as quick as possible.

Start the run at an easy pace.  Expect the legs to feel dead after getting off the bike.  With in a short amount of time you'll get your run stride going.

Try to cruise the middle of the run, and when you get closer to the end of the run, push the pace.

1st race...HAVE FUN !!! Thank every volunteer you see.

Looking forward tohearing all about it afterwards.

Danny 

2008-02-16 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1207800

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Danny, I bet I miss you guys more! What a (non) season so far. Dealing with a pinched nerve (?) in my shoulder. Did you know your shoulder is connected to nearly every single part of your body? Anyway, can't wait to get back to it - this resting is a total bummer. Will go to doctor's next week, and in the meantime I am reading about everyone's training (drool). Way to go on that half marathon, Danny! I'm so easy-breezy on those downhills, but uphill is so tough for me! Two of my kids want to do a kid's tri this summer, so I can't wait to get out there with them.
Keep up the good work everyone!
Carol
2008-02-16 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1104346

Anybody else watch the Ford Ironman on NBC today? That was cool to watch, maybe for some of you the names of the elite are familar but not for me. It was inspiring to watch some of the entrants, of course NBC makes a show out of it by selecting the most sensational. The man with no legs below his knees, the 70 yr blind man, he made it, the 65 yr old lady, she made it, the young guy who nearly lost his life and still made it to Ironman. It was a good event, I watched it with my two sons 3yr. and 5yr olds and they liked parts of it.

As I look to my first Sprint Tri and spending just 1.5 hours in the event, I am in awe of what it takes to prepare for and then do the Ironman. For those of who have, even half of it, my hat goes off to you.

Thanks Danny for the tips on the tires. The shin splints I have dealt with since starting to run back in 2005. I was never a runner before, I hated it actually. Now look at me. I started running when I was 39, now just turned 42. The hip thing I think is some bursitis, it is settling down now.

Looking forward to another week of training, rock on! Speaking of that, here is a song you all should have on your IPODs , Ram Jam by Black Betty, a must have for the run!!

HAve a good one everyone

Rick
2008-02-16 11:06 PM

not sure if the attachment worked, second attempt
2008-02-17 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1215633

User image

Regular
dhyte - 2008-02-16 5:52 AM

njcavill65 - 2008-02-15 3:00 AM Morning peeps! Had a belting session today by doing a bit of an indoor triathlon in the gym, if not quite in the right order! Started by doing 40 mins on the spin bike, it has no way of recording distance but I rode pretty hard with an average heart of 149 (84% of max). I then jumped off and within 30 seconds was on the treadmill. I did just over 4 miles in 30 mins at 7.27m pace, felt ok, no wobbly leg syndrome, heart rate average was 165 (93% of max). Finished with my usual 600m swim and knocked 30 seconds off my fastest time!! So there we go folks, I’m really pleased how it went, now ready to put it into practice! Have a crazy day! x

Good Job Cav !!

Are you simulating quick transition times yet??

As fast as your 3 race segments are coming along, you should definteley plan to spend some good time practicing your tranistions.  We're going to see you on the podium this year ! 

Hi Danny

Not focussed on the transition yet my plans thus far have been to get into the pool and on the spin bike, and keep the running ticking over. When the weather improves I’ll get out on the bike, follow it with a run to simulate some transition stuff> I’m hooking up with the local tri club in the next couple of weeks and will get support there and aim to get transition experience in the first few tris I do. I had what I call a fitness test run this morning and its looking good, ran 5.21 miles at 6.56 per minute which is my race pace for 10k, and fastest ever on my base course really pleased!! If you google earth HU9 1PY for post (zip) code I run up the edge of the river up for about 2.5 miles (west) to the marina and back, this is my base course, quite scenic and very flat! I’m going switch a bit of focus to some longer steadier runs now to get some endurance into the legs, with the odd quick one to keep me sharp.

I hope you all are having a crazy weekend! x

2008-02-17 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1215948

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2008-02-16 10:07 AM Hi Danny, I bet I miss you guys more! What a (non) season so far. Dealing with a pinched nerve (?) in my shoulder. Did you know your shoulder is connected to nearly every single part of your body? Anyway, can't wait to get back to it - this resting is a total bummer. Will go to doctor's next week, and in the meantime I am reading about everyone's training (drool). Way to go on that half marathon, Danny! I'm so easy-breezy on those downhills, but uphill is so tough for me! Two of my kids want to do a kid's tri this summer, so I can't wait to get out there with them. Keep up the good work everyone! Carol

Hi Carol!

I hope the doctor visit goes well.  Maybe some deep tissue massage is in order to help with nerve entrapment?  There area lot of good practictioners in the area.  Maybe that would help???

Get better soon !!!

Danny 

2008-02-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1216553

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rsand222 - 2008-02-16 9:03 PM The shin splints I have dealt with since starting to run back in 2005. I was never a runner before, I hated it actually. Now look at me. I started running when I was 39, now just turned 42. The hip thing I think is some bursitis, it is settling down now.

All this talk about shin splints....now mine are acting up!!

I will try to reduce my outdoor running for a couple weeks, and do some elliptical trainer time instead.  I'll still do my long run outside, but this will cut down on the pounding.

UGH 

2008-02-18 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX

How was the duathlon Mike? Did you get rained on? I was thinking about you when I stepped out my door down here in Burleson and it was raining, windy, and chilly!!

I finally got outside today, since last Thursday, to do some running. I could probably go for a swim in my backyard because of all the rain we got over the weekend. Been on the bike trainer a lot working on my endurance and cadence.

Congrats Danny on your PR time in the hills for your half marathon!!!

Everyone ice done those shins before I catch it.

2008-02-19 10:37 PM

User image

Austin,
Long time, no write for me.

I had a horrible week of training week before last, especially running. But got back on track last week. Just keep plugging on.

Cav, last week I way cruising at high speed through a swim. Showered and was getting dressed when I realized (realised?) I was still sweating. Laughed out loud in the locker room.

I still haven't gotten my act together on planning 2008. I hope to do that this weekend, but life may get in the way. Doesn't mean I'll keep working out, but I feel like there's not a focus and a goal. OK for a while but something is missing.

2008-02-20 6:52 PM

Florida
And a long time no write for me as well.

I did get back from my vacation (if you call it that, I can only stand so much of my grandmother at one time anymore) but right after that things got hectic. Over the weekend moved into my new apartment, so no workouts over the weekend, making many many trips up to my new 3rd floor apt was enough for that. And started work yesterday.

So, I'm using this week to play with my schedule some and figure out just when the best times are to get my workouts in.

One great thing that did come out of my trip to my grandmothers was that I got in a great bridge workout in prep for the 15k next month. It's about a 50' bridge at its peak, ran over it 4 times in 45deg weather. But I couldn't of asked for a better view during the run though.

I'm wanting to get a trainer so I can sometimes get in some time on the bike before I go to work. For any of you that have one, any suggestions on type or brand to look for?

2008-02-20 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1224723

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
LadyGator - 2008-02-20 6:52 PM

I'm wanting to get a trainer so I can sometimes get in some time on the bike before I go to work. For any of you that have one, any suggestions on type or brand to look for?

I have a Cyclopes Fluid trainer that I love. It is probably the best thing that I have purchased since the start of this triathlon thing. My endurance, speed, and legs have improved greatly. It is easier to stay at a steady heart rate for over an hour without having to adjust for hills and such being outside. The only problem that I have is how hard to press the roller into the tire? Other then that it is really quiet and smooth. I found mine at my local bike shop for $289.

Nice view from your run. Talk about "stopping and smelling the roses or ocean"
2008-02-20 10:03 PM

Lady Gator - Where abouts are you from in FLA? I was born in Clearwater and grew up there and all my famliy lives around the St. Pete, Dunedin areas. I miss it and love to visit and when I do I manage to run out on the Dunedin causeway. I miss it all, orange blossoms, grouper sandwiches, Mmmm.

Good luck getting back in the groove, sometimes I need to get back to work in order to get some rest

Question for all: IS there a way to add our mentor group to a favorite list or something? I always have to go looking for it in the list. I know I am kinda lazy!!

Rick from Chicago.
2008-02-21 2:39 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone,

I've been on vacation for the last 3 days. I traveled to San Francisco and Sacramento to visit some colleges with my daughter. She is graduating high school in June and is considering 3 Cal State Universities, and also is looking at 3 different Art schools (Chicago, Manhatten, and Providence, RI) that we may be visiting soon.

It was a pretty hectic 3 days, some flying/driving, and also I have been fighting off getting sick for the last 5 days (it has been a losing battle).

I wore myself out on sat with a 70 mile bike ride/ 6 mile run. I went to a party that night that was pretty late. By Sunday I was dealing with flu conditions, and an unhappy stomach.

By Monday (start of the trip that couldn't be delayed) the flu symptoms were gone, but my stomach was in full scale revolt.

We had spent Monday night at a hotel right on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

I thought I was feeling better by Tues, so I got up that morning and decided to run to the Golden Gate Bridge and back (about 7.5 miles total). I left right at 6 am as the sun was barely up. It was overcast, foggy, and ready to rain.

You have heard the superstitious thing about having a black cat cross your path ...????
I had a skunk cross my path within 50 feet of the hotel.....I should have known it was going to go bad....

What should have been a totally COOL run turned into a total bummer...my stomach started to cramp right when I was in a long wide-open stretch about 1.5 miles from the bridge. Not a port-potty or public restroom around anywhere...

I thought I remembered there was a bathroom near the base of the bridge, and it was closer than anything I had already passed, so I kept going.

I made it to the bathrooms (thank god they were unlocked !), and eventually to the bridge, and back to the hotel (after 2 additional stops).

All in all it was still cool to run out there, but I feel like I got "robbed" of a great running memory - and replaced with a bummer...

Two days later (and now back home and work), my stomach is still not back to normal.

I may have to change my weekend workouts to staying in the neighborhood, or at the gym.

Sorry for the somewhat gross story....

Danny

2008-02-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1218524

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Txhokie - 2008-02-18 11:23 AM How was the duathlon Mike? 

Mike,

Congrats on your race !!  Looks like you did GREAT out there.  Sounds like it was a tough bike ride with the gusty winds.  Great job on the two run segments!

Everyone stop by and check out  Mike's race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-container.asp?raceid=61611

2008-02-21 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1157952

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Freshly Closed !!
dhyte - 2008-01-15 1:05 PM

Txhokie - 2008-01-15 12:46 PM Xbox 360 RULES!!! I just got mine back from having the red ring of death. It only took Microsoft 10 days to ship it back after fixing it. Tell me what your xbox live screen name is and we can battle out on Halo 3 for hours. Of course my screen name is txhokie28. I might be 33, but I still play with toys like I'm a kid again.

My screen name is....."DannyBoyis12" (chosen because I may never get past the mentality of a 12 year old (I think I like it that way !!!). This is a long standing private joke in my family...when I make a remarkably immature comment, my wife just looks at me, smiles, and at gives me the look that we both know acknowledges my 12 year old status!

I bought a wireless adapter last night and was having some trouble with it conflicting with my PC. I rebooted this morning and all was good again. I read some stuff about open up either my firewall settings, or same with the router DHCP settings, or even checking for firmware updates for the router.

I tried to get away from the technical stuff and just goof off with this new toy, but it is never that simple.....

My list of games:

Halo3
Guitar Hero II/III
DDR
Need For Speed
Mx vs ATV

Thinking about buying Call of Duty 4

I will never get anything done now that we have this new toy!!!!!!!

Since this earlier post I have bought:

The Simpson's - Land of Chocolate
Assassin's Creed
Devil May Cry 4

I've gone off the deep end... 

2008-02-21 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1170419

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Freshly Closed !!

Updated 2/21/08:

Danny's Mentor Group
(official thread)

BT Name Real Name
dhyte Danny Hyte
Txhokie
Brian
fullie64
Jayson
ccessex
Carol Essex
njcavill65
Cav
Sundevil87
Thom
MilkeC
Mike
LadyGator
Nancy
lauawill42
Laura
shrekkc
Mark
3guysdad
Greg
rsand222
Rick
JBIRDWHITE
Jason

dhyte - 2008-01-22 2:18 PM

Try this,

I will put the text/code into an attachment to this post. Open the attachment, copy the enclosed text, and then go to your control panel, and then select the goals tab. Select the "html" icon and then paste the text in.

Let me know if it works for you.

Danny - need an assist; I'm not figuring it out. I try to copy and paste but I don't retain the links? Thom

Attachments
----------------
mentor_group_quick_links_022108b.txt (6KB - 23 downloads)
2008-02-21 5:25 PM

Hello Guys,

Sorry for not giving a report on my race, it was fuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnn....although the pain coming off the bike and into the second run was kind of painful for the first 3-4 minutes....after that...all I was thinking about was the finish line.

Dany, Thanks for all the tips, I did remember about the spinning before the second run and to thank every one of the volunteers, they were great, they did help a lot, specially us first timers....

the biggest lessons learned: WARM UP BEFORE THE RACE, RUN AT YOUR OWN PACE AND HAVE AN ORGANIZED TRANSITION AREA (Now that I know what a transition area is hahaha)

Other than that....I think I did good for my first duathlon
Next goal, place in the first 100 in the over-all list woooo hhoooooooooo

Thanks !!!
Mike

Edited by MilkeC 2008-02-21 5:29 PM
2008-02-22 10:09 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Brian (Txhokie) has got his first race of the year tomorrow (5K).

Let's all wish him good luck!

Brian, are you ready?

I saw you swam this morning. I hope you are planning on taking it easy the rest of today, eating light for the rest of the day (getting some good carbs), getting a good night sleep, and having everything organized and ready to go in the morning to minimize any stress/distractions in the morning.

Any goals for the race?

Danny 

2008-02-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1228299

Brian,

Good luck dude!!!! Have a great race!!!! And for the whole group, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!!

Mike

dhyte - 2008-02-22 10:09 AM

Brian, are you ready?

I saw you swam this morning. I hope you are planning on taking it easy the rest of today, eating light for the rest of the day (getting some good carbs), getting a good night sleep, and having everything organized and ready to go in the morning to minimize any stress/distractions in the morning.

Any goals for the race?

Danny

Edited by MilkeC 2008-02-22 12:02 PM
2008-02-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1228299

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX

Brian, are you ready?

Any goals for the race?

Danny 

Yes I'm taking it easy the rest of the day. Yes I'm eating light with some good carbs. Has far as getting a good night sleep, we will see about that. Only stress I have is how much cloths to wear on the run. It is going to be 40 degrees at the start. I have been wearing a stocking cap, gloves, underarmor shirt, and another long sleeve shirt. Although I seem to get really hot about half way through my run. So should I over dress and get hot or under dress and be cold? I will also be more organized when I go tonight to get my packet. My goal for the race is to break 30 minutes. I will report back tomorrow after I cross the finish line with a smile on my face and hopefully my wife taking pictures.

2008-02-22 9:13 PM

Good luck Brian,

Try to harness those pre-race jitters and save the energy for the run right. I usually get the jitters but it is almost like an adrenaline (sp?) high before a race. I have also read that on race day you will get a boost of enegy you won't have during training runs.

Rock on!!! Can't wait to hear back.

Rick
2008-02-22 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1228759

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Txhokie - 2008-02-22 10:16 AM

Brian, are you ready?

Any goals for the race?

Danny

Yes I'm taking it easy the rest of the day. Yes I'm eating light with some good carbs. Has far as getting a good night sleep, we will see about that. Only stress I have is how much cloths to wear on the run. It is going to be 40 degrees at the start. I have been wearing a stocking cap, gloves, underarmor shirt, and another long sleeve shirt. Although I seem to get really hot about half way through my run. So should I over dress and get hot or under dress and be cold? I will also be more organized when I go tonight to get my packet. My goal for the race is to break 30 minutes. I will report back tomorrow after I cross the finish line with a smile on my face and hopefully my wife taking pictures.

In general, I like to stay warm until right before the race, and then get down to just shorts and shirt. Anything above 40 degrees and I'll be sweating withing 5-10 minutes of hard running. If you need anything extra, maybe an long sleeve technical running shirt over your short sleeve shirt.

If you can hand off your extra clothing to your wife right before the race, I would warm up in some sweats, or at least something a bit warmer -  and then disrobe.

If you warm up with the warmer clothes on, then remove all the extras 5 minutes before the race, you should be fine. Do you have a cheap pair of running mittens? Just having your fingers warm will help alot. You could wear them until the end or pitch them halfway through the run. If your wife can't grab your extra clothing before the race, wear a throwaway shirt or sweatshirt, or a trashbag.

I like to have fluids with me when running - even if it is just a couple of ounces to wet my lips when running. Don't carry a full (heavy bottle) with you.

Don't go crazy loading up on fluids before the race. For a 30 minute race you won't need to. If anything, you will be a little heavy, and have a FULL bladder...

For your warmup, try to do some really easy jogging for about 5 minutes, and then a few accelerations. Don't over do it.

Start the race just right at or over your race pace. Do not get caught up in running faster than you plan (at least at the start). RUN YOUR RACE, not someone else's pace.

Try to to maintain a nice steady effort, and increase your pace each mile. Last half mile should be a STRONG effort.

Have a heck of a great time!!!!

We're looking forward to hearing all about it !

Danny

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-22 10:45 PM
2008-02-22 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1225164

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rsand222 - 2008-02-20 8:03 PM Question for all: IS there a way to add our mentor group to a favorite list or something? I always have to go looking for it in the list. I know I am kinda lazy!! Rick from Chicago.

You can add people as your "favorite" through the user control panel.

You can also add the table I created (see my post from yesterday) to your BT training log page.

The links in the table don't work right from within this thread, but will work from your training page.

You can see a working example on my training log page:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=&year=&month=&day=

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-22 10:51 PM
2008-02-23 1:54 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I was planning a 6 hour easy ride today.

I had 3  flat tires in 70 minutes....  dangit!  I hate it when that happens.

After the last one, I decided I was done for the day....maybe it was an indicator that it was not a good day for me to be riding my bike....

I called the SAG wagon and bagged it for the day!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14