BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-18 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
600 yd pool swim 

now unlocking gates at work

good morning 

2010-03-18 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2732791

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-03-18 4:24 AM

HEY! It's 5:23am here! Where is everybody??

training
2010-03-18 7:15 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEB,

Thanks for the analysis of my swim efforts and the encouragement too.        I think I may forget pool TT's and stick to the open water 'timing'.    I have done the same as you, using the buoy line, at the local lake we usually swim in.   There is also a section that we can swim across to dry land and back and we know the distance.   Good practice for trying to swim straight and sighting.     The only problem with that is we have a rowing team that takes over part of the lake till they have their spring meet and it's too dangerous.    There have actually been a couple of people that have been clipped.   

Ken is generally at the pool with me, so I will ask him to have a look at my stroke on my next attempt at the 10x50 on 1.05. 

I do know for sure, that I have a tendency to not complete by stroke with my left hand when I start to fatigue or go too fast, but I have really been working on that.  

I understand the necessity for a good warm up.  I find I need one more than alot of people.    When we race, I always swim for a good 10 to 12 minutes but alot of people I know resist it, thinking it will tire them out for the race.  

But I'm not really clear on why alot of the swim workouts have us doing a 300 meter cool down?  In the past, I often didn't do one or just 50-100 meters, but I am doing what Fitz says in his plans which is 250 to 300 meters.  

Another pool day tomorrow.    

2010-03-18 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2732872

User image

Champion

Morning to you three!

Well done on the early morning training, Dwayne and Mark. The best I could muster was 1 90-minute nap, but I'm off to Ottawa in a while to lift and then swim, and hoping for an outside ride this afternoon. And maybe another 90-minute nap.

2010-03-18 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2732784

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-18 4:42 AM ANNE once more - About down-dresssing on the bike..... I do pretty poorly with heat and humidity, so I figure if I can't make that extreme work for me, I'd better acclimate to racing in cold conditions. So that's what I'm aiming for -- a certain tolerance for racing when I'm cold. This has helped me in the past with early season potential freezefests such as Columbia and Mosseman, and for some late-season ones, too. In fact, one of the reasons I had a strong race at lake george last September was that I stayed minimally-dressed for the bike, while lots of other people took time in T1 to don layers. My only concession to that was having arm-warmers on my aerobars, and putting them on about a mile into the bike when my arms had dried off (I ended up removing them a few miles later, FWIW). I made it through this (past?) winter wearing relatively little on all of my outside runs, and I feel good about that. That's not to say that I ever aimed to suffer, but I'm always looking to wear as little as possible, either riding or running in cool and cold. But what doesn't help me, ultimately, is that I have lousy circulation to my extemities, and that just seems to be getting worse as I age. So when my feet get cold in a swim, and then stay cold on the bike, I will start the run feeling as if I'm "running on stumps". This is pretty awful, but I guess it's like all other training goals --- experience them first in training, and they would shock you so much come race day. (Kind of sounds like a triathlete's version of an ascetic existence! )

That makes alot of sense.   It has been interesting to me to see how the results of some of the top women in my age group deteriorate when they race in the cold weather.   Significantly.    As much as I am a wimp about riding/racing in cold weather, my body handles it well (much more body fat than most triathletes.    My results are affected too but not nearly as much as others and when we raced in Vancouver with water temp 50* and air temp 10*, I actually had better results on the bike and swim, and even running with a bad ankle, had one of my better runs last year.   

Maybe I'll try and wear less clothing on my ride today and toughen up.        Although I can already feel the tears coming - they are calling for 25km/hr winds this aft.   Cry
2010-03-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2732894

User image

Champion

ANNE -

And good morning to you, too. (You were posting as I was morninging Mandy, Dwayne, and Mark.)

25kmh just winds might call for a layer or two. As I said earlier, I'm not out to suffer -- just edge-dancing my way to acclimatization!

I'm not sure why there is the longish cool-downs, but maybe it's to give you time to get your stroke back in decent form? In the same way that I try to quit a swim once my form starts to fall apart, so that I don't instill (further) bad habits, maybe it's a good thing to finish a session with good form so that that's what the most recent muscle memory is heading into the next session.

Or, maybe it's just a soft way to pad the yardage numbers!

2010-03-18 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2732964

User image

Champion

I just signed up for West Point Triathlon. I guess that entitles me to say "Go Army! Beat Navy!"

West Point used to be the Mules, but I think now they are Black Knights. I like Mules better.

I am trying to will myself into making some decisions about the season. I have been waffling for months, and the proposals I posted last week were an effort to spur me to make some damn commitments, already!

I THINK I had West point on Plan A.....but maybe not. (I'm afraid to check.......)

Edited by stevebradley 2010-03-18 8:34 AM
2010-03-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2733074

User image

Champion

It looks like the mule is still the official mascot of West Point. Not only were mules important in the early U.S. Army, but they were thought to be a suitable mascot because of their "strength, hardiness, and perseverance".

Just so you know!

Go Mules!!

2010-03-18 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2732790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
stevebradley - 2010-03-18 4:22 AM DENISE - I'll give you a few speed-focus workouts here. The first two will be from our old friend Matt Fitzgerald and his oft-mentioned book, and the last will be from "Workouts in A Binder", by Gale Bernhardt and Nick Hansen. The Fitz ones are slightly less complicated -- which does not mean that they are any less effective, just that they are easier to store in the brain (or to write on an index card to be put in a sealable baggy and kept at poolside). 1.) Swim Fartlek Interval (100-yard intervals with an easy/hard format, and 10-second rest periods) ***4 x 100 (25 easy, 25 hard....), with 10" rest between each 100 2.) Swim Lactate Interval (75-yard intervals swum hard, with the designated rest period) ***4 x 75, 45-second rest. If 4 x 75 is too much, and/or 45" rest is not enough, then adjust accordingly! 3.) Endurance/Speed 1 ***4 x 200, moderate, with 20" rest intervals between each (moderate means aware of breathing, but not struggling) ***2 x 75, fast, with 15" RI (fast means as fast as you can while holding your form) With all of those, do a decent warm-up -- an easy 200-400 yards should work. And don't forget the cool-down (200-300)! Also, for the third one I have omitted a somewhat involved warm-up, and also a kick-set that follows the 2 x 75. If you want to know these, I will be happy to send them along to you. Anyhow, give these a try and see how they suit you. And somewhere I have a stack of cards (that went in the aforementioned poolside baggy) from my days with Coach Erik, and I was hoping to use these for examples for you. I'm not sure where I've put them, however! Finally, as I say above, feel free to make adjustments as necessary! These have to work for YOU, so if something is too many or too short or too whatever, dial it in to your own particular needs. Glub, glub!

Thanks Steve,
You were very prompt - probably cuz you got up in the middle of the night.  That happens to me sometimes although most of the time I get a good 8-9 hours (yup, sometimes 9).
I like the 1st 2 because they're simple - I don't like a lot of detail in workouts because I don't like to think too much and at my level I don't feel it's necessary.  I'm a "disassociate" type - like to think about anything except what I'm doing when I train.

Thanks again,
Denise
2010-03-18 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

First time out with the clip-ins.  No problem.  Learned standing works best when clipping in and FIRM twist to clip out.

Denise
2010-03-18 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2734188

User image

Champion

DENISE -

If those workouts work, I will send you more along the same lines -- simple, yet effective.

Good stuff with the clipping in - and out! In time you will get the firm twist to more of a quick-snap-pivot. It will add new eaning to the term "well-turned ankle"!

2010-03-18 4:19 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEB,

Talk about the POWER of suggestion!        I didn't sleep well last night - lost 2-3 hours and after my 'long' ride outside today, thought I would lie down for my usual 20 minute cat nap.   90 minutes later.............

2010-03-18 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2732438

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-17 5:49 PM MANDY once more - Of the 15-20 flats I have been plagued with over the years, about 80% of them have been the rear. Can you say *#!*@_!#*? I Sure can! Finally, only about two years ago, I figured out a way to change out the rear wheel without getting the entire left hand all grubby-gritty-greasy, so at least when I get flats back there I don't make a mess of myself. And changing out the rear wheel, just going from training wheels to racing wheels and back and forth ad nauseum xx times a year, is almost enjoyable now. Look, Ma, clean paws!

All this talk of flats!  I'm freaking out!  I had 2 flats on my first race, and in the 6 years since then, I've not had single flat - not even on a training ride.  I fear that I am DUE!  In SPADES!!!!

2010-03-18 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2734374

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Guilt by association!!

I did a 35km ride today that was quite good. I wore the same stuff as two days ago, but the temp was down a degree or two or the wind was ratcheted up a few cranks, so I wasn't quite as comfortable today. (Poor baby!) Really, though, it was very nice, and I honestly have to do more of a realty check before I start moaning and kvetching -- after all, it's only March 18!

And may you sleep deeply tonight!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

2010-03-18 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2733074

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-18 6:34 AM I just signed up for West Point Triathlon. I guess that entitles me to say "Go Army! Beat Navy!" West Point used to be the Mules, but I think now they are Black Knights. I like Mules better. I am trying to will myself into making some decisions about the season. I have been waffling for months, and the proposals I posted last week were an effort to spur me to make some damn commitments, already! I THINK I had West point on Plan A.....but maybe not. (I'm afraid to check.......)

STEVE B,
Right on!  is there a link to a race site?  I tried to google it, but all i found was the West Point Tri team page
2010-03-18 5:39 PM

User image

So, I've got that REM song in my head the last week or so, "Everybody Hurts".  Heh.
First foot
Then knee
Now hamstring - seems like boiling that Frog fried my leg.  Been liming around pretty bad - but the ice pack/heat pack alternating helped last night.  I passed on the swim/run this morning to opt for a long trainer session in front of the computer tonight.  Hopefully, it feels good enough for a swim/run session tomorrow before work.

MARCH MADNESS is here!  KU plays tonight, and I can watch the game live on the computer, so I'll sneak out of here, set up the trainer and ride for a couple of hours and hopefully watch a #1 smash a #16 to pieces!  Knock on wood.

2010-03-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2734466

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-03-18 6:21 PM
All this talk of flats!  I'm freaking out!  I had 2 flats on my first race, and in the 6 years since then, I've not had single flat - not even on a training ride.  I fear that I am DUE!  In SPADES!!!!

No way Steve A! No flats for you! 
2010-03-18 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2734489

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-03-18 6:39 PM So, I've got that REM song in my head the last week or so, "Everybody Hurts".  Heh.
First foot
Then knee
Now hamstring - seems like boiling that Frog fried my leg.  Been liming around pretty bad - but the ice pack/heat pack alternating helped last night.  I passed on the swim/run this morning to opt for a long trainer session in front of the computer tonight.  Hopefully, it feels good enough for a swim/run session tomorrow before work.

MARCH MADNESS is here!  KU plays tonight, and I can watch the game live on the computer, so I'll sneak out of here, set up the trainer and ride for a couple of hours and hopefully watch a #1 smash a #16 to pieces!  Knock on wood.

Hope your trainer ride was good and your hamstring gets better.  My calf just came back to say hello and my 8 mile run turned into a 2 and limped home...Icing now, not sure what is up.  PT on Monday, so we will see. 

I picked Duke to win the whole thing, I can't remember the rest of my brackets right now...
2010-03-18 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
SteveB, didn't get the bike ride in yesterday, ended up lunching and shopping instead.  But did a 16 mile ride today.  It was a gorgeous day here, temps in the upper 60's to low 70's.  Not too bad on the wind either.  Rode the Trinity Trail which got really crazy with both car and pedestrian traffic near Trinity Park with spring break and the nice weather.  Unfortunately the trail is under construction and closed at this point.  After looking at the car traffic 6 lanes deep lined up to get into the zoo I got off my bike and walked it through the traffic and construction.  But for the most part it was a nice ride.  My back was a little sore by the end but no real sciatica pain and stretching helped.  I am planning on a short swim tomorrow and Pilates and that's it.

So I need everyone to keep their fingers crossed that my back holds up and I get through my first race Saturday without feeling totally disappointed.  After four weeks of not running, I'd be feeling it even if the back wasn't a problem.  My legs noticed the two miles last week sooo...we shall see what happens.  Just trying to stay positive.
2010-03-18 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2734756

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:13 PM
2010-03-19 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2734473

User image

Champion

STEVE -

(1) The whole point of talking about flats here is to overextend them in our collective presence, thus rendering them null and void whenever we are on the bike. Brilliant, eh?
(2) But as I think I've mentioned before the long races area decent time to get on, if one is to be got. On an iron, say, you flat at mile 73 out of the 112 and you lose 5-10 minutes, but thta's alos 5-10 minutes of rest -- not a bad thing at all. And you STILL have 65.2 miles in toatl to gain back some of those flat-fixin' minutes!
(3) As the West Point site, go to the bar at the top of the page, above the team photo - it says something like 21st Annual West Point Triathlon. It is one of the least informative sites around, and while I have writtedn to the RD asking about info on the bike course and he has responded by saying he'll get a map up soon, it hasn't happened yet.
(4) Haven't checked scores from last night, but my guess is KU 102, Lehigh 63. Am I close?

2010-03-19 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2734575

User image

Champion

MANDY and STEVE -

"Steve, meet Many; Mandy, Steve. Mandy thinks Duke will win, and Steve -- aren't you a KU guy? Well, I'll just leave the two of you here to get acquainted....."

2010-03-19 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2735134

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

Duke, eh? Is that your head or your heart speaking?

I have no strong feelings. several teams get some of my attentiion for various dopey reasons. to wit:
Wofford -- My bro-in-law went there for a couple of years on a golf scholarship.
Clemson -- One of my nephews goes ther.
Butler -- Neat peice in NYTimes the other day about the ancient brick field house they play in.
Arkansas -- Pine Bluff -- The great 30s bluesman, Bukka white, once did a tune titled "Pine Bluff, Arkansas"
Vermont -- Burlington is a great little city through which I have travelled hundreds of times.
Gonzaga -- Good location, being in high plains but not all that far from mountains and the ocean.

Overall, my heart would be with Vermont, I guess, but my head has to go with Kansas, a team that could probably whup any of the bottom ten teams in the NBA!

2010-03-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2734756

User image

Champion

DIANE -

Not only are the fingers crossed, but I'm sending mojo your way! What's the name of the race?

I wish I could help more with the specter of disappointment, but about all I can say is that the race is still the first step in what will be an on-going path for you. For many of us at certain times, just making it to the starting line is a pretty good accomplishment --- and you're only 24 hours from being there yourself. That puts you in about the one-in-a-million category, and you can savor that thought along with the general vibe of the event. But you'll be there, which is something you wouldn't've predicted not all that long ago!

And I hope that adrenaline can have some effect on your back, your legs, and your head. Adrenaline does strange and wonderful things during races, effects that rarely happen during training. Is your friend still planning on being there, too -- brace and all? If so, enjoy each other, and beyond that just observe and stow away thoughts and images for future reference.

Enjoy the swim and Pilates today, and good work on 16 miles on the bike. That's a very decent ride, especially if the sciatica didn't act up during it!

2010-03-19 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi

Diane,

Just have fun tomorrow.  After so many weeks not being able to run, the good thing is you won't have any high expectations and you can "do what you can do".  Do you get a neat shirt?

Congrats on the long bike ride.  I need to get out for one of those now that the snow is gone but it's gotten cold here again.

Denise
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276