BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-19 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Hi,

My teams, Minnesota and Wisconsin, both play their 1st round today.  Minnesota's where I live and my alma mater so obviously I'm rooting for them.  They just squeaked into the tourney but you never know.  There's been a number of upsets so far.

And the there's Wisconsin.  That's where our daughter goes to school and we visit Madison (love the town - their farmers' market is fantastic) a lot so I've become a Wisconsin fan.  They're seeded 4 but they can be very inconsistent and I would not be surprised if they were upset by Wofford.

Off for a run and then settling down for a lot of BB.  If the NCAA games get a little boring, I can watch the girls' state tournament games.

Denise

2010-03-19 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2735413

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Q: What do you get when you cross a gopher and a badger?
A: A conflicted Denise!

I could've included those two in my list team with some oblique sentimental attachment. I love the Twin Cities, and in my first visit there I tracked town "Dinkytown" -- which was the big folk-blues hang-out area in the 60s. (I learned about it from reading the liner notes to a Koerner, Ray, and Glover album, way back when.)

As for Madison, what a place! There aren't too many places of that size that have so many amenities, are there?

And back to Minneapolis, on a family riad trip out west in maybe '91 or '92, we stayed there fro a day or two, saw a couple of Twins games (thank god they are moving back into an outdoors stadium!), and ate at a fabulous rstaurant called Panakokken (sp?) that serves scrumptious Dutch pancakes of the same name. As the waitpersons emerged from the kitchen with an order, they would holler out "PanaKOKken!" It still makes for a great family memory!

Go Gophers!

2010-03-19 10:20 AM

New user
Hope everyone had a good St. Patrick's Day and hasn't needed the time I have to recover that i have. No Irish here. American-Canadian is probably most proper. As I understand both sides have been in North America since at least the mid 1800's. Prior to that, 7/8 German and 1/8 British.

SteveB, quick question for you in regard's to plans. Seeing as how my first two planned tri's (Hawk Island and Welland) are sort of hybrid distances would you work within a sprint or olympic plan? Also, am leaning towards adding events in July, August and maybe September hopefully culminating in a full olympic.

I plan on spending some quality time with Fitz's book this weekend to figure out what I think I can commit to/accomplish. I'm leaning towards a 9 workout/week plan to start with.
2010-03-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2735144

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-03-19 8:12 AM MANDY again - Duke, eh? Is that your head or your heart speaking? I have no strong feelings. several teams get some of my attentiion for various dopey reasons. to wit: Wofford -- My bro-in-law went there for a couple of years on a golf scholarship. Clemson -- One of my nephews goes ther. Butler -- Neat peice in NYTimes the other day about the ancient brick field house they play in. Arkansas -- Pine Bluff -- The great 30s bluesman, Bukka white, once did a tune titled "Pine Bluff, Arkansas" Vermont -- Burlington is a great little city through which I have travelled hundreds of times. Gonzaga -- Good location, being in high plains but not all that far from mountains and the ocean. Overall, my heart would be with Vermont, I guess, but my head has to go with Kansas, a team that could probably whup any of the bottom ten teams in the NBA!

My head, not my heart!  Tough to beat Coach K, although it has been done many times before.  Kansas is a really good bet too though....lots of brackets predict that will be the big showdown...We will see!   

My heart wants VT to win just because no one thinks they can, and it is the place of my current marathon PR, and a super cool city. Ha. 
2010-03-19 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2735504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
stevebradley - 2010-03-19 9:29 AM DENISE - Q: What do you get when you cross a gopher and a badger? A: A conflicted Denise! I could've included those two in my list team with some oblique sentimental attachment. I love the Twin Cities, and in my first visit there I tracked town "Dinkytown" -- which was the big folk-blues hang-out area in the 60s. (I learned about it from reading the liner notes to a Koerner, Ray, and Glover album, way back when.) As for Madison, what a place! There aren't too many places of that size that have so many amenities, are there? And back to Minneapolis, on a family riad trip out west in maybe '91 or '92, we stayed there fro a day or two, saw a couple of Twins games (thank god they are moving back into an outdoors stadium!), and ate at a fabulous rstaurant called Panakokken (sp?) that serves scrumptious Dutch pancakes of the same name. As the waitpersons emerged from the kitchen with an order, they would holler out "PanaKOKken!" It still makes for a great family memory! Go Gophers!

And my husband's an Iowa grad so we've got this MN, WIS, IA thing goin on (although IOWA's not in the tournament.

Ah yes, Dinkytown.  I even heard Bob Dylan play at a coffee shop there before anyone knew who he was.  The Koerner, Ray, Glover album you heard was probably "Running, Jumping, Standing Still" - that was their big one.  Either Ray or Glover is dead now but the other two are still around - especially Koerner (I had such a crush on him)

"Pannekuchen" was the restaurant - long gone.

We might even move to Madison in a couple of years.  Northern MN is losing its appeal - especially lack of restaurants.

Denise
2010-03-19 1:29 PM

Master
Kitchener

DIANE,

Best of luck on your race tomorrow!    I'll be thinking of you.    If this if your first race, then no matter how you finish, it will be a personal best for you.       Something to be proud of.   And since you aren't in your best racing form yet, your next race will be even more fun when you are able to knock the minutes off!  

YOU CAN DO IT!      

2010-03-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2734575

User image

manfarr1974 - 2010-03-18 4:48 PM
SAquavia - 2010-03-18 6:39 PM So, I've got that REM song in my head the last week or so, "Everybody Hurts".  Heh.
First foot
Then knee
Now hamstring - seems like boiling that Frog fried my leg.  Been liming around pretty bad - but the ice pack/heat pack alternating helped last night.  I passed on the swim/run this morning to opt for a long trainer session in front of the computer tonight.  Hopefully, it feels good enough for a swim/run session tomorrow before work.

MARCH MADNESS is here!  KU plays tonight, and I can watch the game live on the computer, so I'll sneak out of here, set up the trainer and ride for a couple of hours and hopefully watch a #1 smash a #16 to pieces!  Knock on wood.

Hope your trainer ride was good and your hamstring gets better.  My calf just came back to say hello and my 8 mile run turned into a 2 and limped home...Icing now, not sure what is up.  PT on Monday, so we will see. 

I picked Duke to win the whole thing, I can't remember the rest of my brackets right now...

That stinks about the calf.  I had that 2 years ago - not a lot of fun.  I did a ton of ice/heat alternating and stretching...but still took a while to come around.  I'm sure it'll get there.

Duke....me and Duke are semi mortal enemies...only because of an ex-girlfriend from college who was a big fan of them.  But, I'd take Duke over North Carolina any day of the week! 
2010-03-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2734756

User image

FoxfireTX - 2010-03-18 6:41 PM SteveB, didn't get the bike ride in yesterday, ended up lunching and shopping instead.  But did a 16 mile ride today.  It was a gorgeous day here, temps in the upper 60's to low 70's.  Not too bad on the wind either.  Rode the Trinity Trail which got really crazy with both car and pedestrian traffic near Trinity Park with spring break and the nice weather.  Unfortunately the trail is under construction and closed at this point.  After looking at the car traffic 6 lanes deep lined up to get into the zoo I got off my bike and walked it through the traffic and construction.  But for the most part it was a nice ride.  My back was a little sore by the end but no real sciatica pain and stretching helped.  I am planning on a short swim tomorrow and Pilates and that's it.

So I need everyone to keep their fingers crossed that my back holds up and I get through my first race Saturday without feeling totally disappointed.  After four weeks of not running, I'd be feeling it even if the back wasn't a problem.  My legs noticed the two miles last week sooo...we shall see what happens.  Just trying to stay positive.

Good luck on the race on Saturday!  I'm sure it'll go well.  Nothing like the adrenaline of the day to mask those nagging ailments.  :-)
2010-03-19 2:24 PM

User image

REALLY?????

So, decent trainer ride last night.   A little over two hours while watching the game on the computer.  Good times. 

Right knee/hamstring started off real tight, real sore, but loosened up as the ride went on.  Just made sure not to carry too heavy a gear, as it's really the ligaments/tendons/joint that is causing me trouble.  Probably overloaded them on the weekend downhill run, aggravated them on the treadmill run on Tuesday and am making up for it since.

But today, I wake up with a cold.  And I know who gave it to me, and if I see him in the halls....

Grrrr....

It's not full-blown yet, and I am POUNDING water, acai juice, pomegranate juice, Mix 1 antioxidant drinks, and enough Zicam to set off an airport metal detector (isn't zinc a metal?).  It hasn't taken hold just yet and I'm hoping that the 2-hour ride last night and me antioxidant blitzkrieg will knock it out before it can get into the chest.

Goal is to go home tonight and get in a run before date night with the wife, and then sleep in on Saturday!  Mmmmmm....sleeping in.   

Saturday afternoon, I drive to St. George for a long day of riding and running on Sunday.  Plan is to meet my friend in Vegas around 5:00ish, hopefully swing by Lake Mead on the way to St. George and get in an hour swim at the lake, and then sleep over in St. George to get an early start in the morning.  Sunday:  get on the bike at 7:00 am and off the run by 2:00 pm and back home to LA by 9:00.   At least that's the plan.  We'll see how that goes!

What I really need to figure out is when KU plays on Saturday and if I can watch the game!  RCJHGKU!
2010-03-19 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2727618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-03-15 5:07 PM

stevebradley - 2010-03-13 7:24 PM SHAUN - Jeezum, nice work stumbling across the Fitz book! Seredipity, or what?!? You're right about finding the time crunch daunting, and for thousands of people that's what effectively keeps them from "going long". There are those, however, who want to go long and decide to do it on minimal hours --- and a few even succeed at this! My two irons took more hours than I care to think about, and it's one of the reasons I haven't pursued a third --- and I have the luxury of actually having virtually all of my hours otherwise unaccounted for! Mostly, though, it's just somehting that can get consumptive, and I would rather put some of my energies into something other than 18-20 hours of serious training each week. (And then there's the wee problem of my less-than-bionic body, which tends to break down when pushed too hard and too far for too long. Were I less prone to injuries, I'd maybe be more prone to serious iron-training!) Good run, and good swim ----- and good luck on the longer run tomorrow!

SHAUN/STEVE B,

Was reading the exchange and reflecting on some thoughts I had over the weekend about training time.  (Note: This is coming from a place of very little perspective about other time obligations and such, and is one of those "in my case only" kind of things...)

Anyway, was thinking out loud to myself on my run:
Headed uphill, feeling tired:  I can't WAIT to have some free time once May 1st is done and be able to just chill out on the weekends and during the week. 
On the flats, feeling much better: I can't imagine not spending several hours each weekend doing this. 

I've found in the past year of training (wow, it's been a year since I started training for last year's OLY race) that all those time destroyers that I used to do have fallen off my schedule, making room for the stuff that really matters to me.  I can't remember the last 2+ hour TV viewing session that didn't take place on a trainer.  I can't remember the last time I drank so much that I couldn't get up the next day and ride/run the plan (granted, sometimes there was a teeny-tiny hangover - lol). 

Long-winded way of saying take a look at the schedules that have you saying, "no way I have those hours" and give it a shot.  You may find that you begin to really focus your time on the stuff that matters and creates value for you most, and the rest will truly slide. 

Hi SteveA:

I was just reading over the part where you say that you can often find a way to fit in a training schedule, if it's important to you. I like this attitude! Just last night I was reading The Idiot's Guide to Triathlon Training and was dreaming about someday doing an IM. (Like maybe before my 45th birthday??) I barely have the time to fit in the training I do now, and right now I have it good because work has been slow. But I think you're right about this. If I make it a serious goal, perhaps this could someday be a possibility for me...

Tracey

2010-03-19 3:11 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  My back is bad today, not sure if it was the bike ride or the way I slept last night.  My training partner is walking it on doctor's orders so we may be walking it together.  It is pretty hilarious, after a beautiful week of weather here they are predicting a high of 40 and rain and snow.  I am looking forward to it.  In any event, it will be a memorable first race!

Hope that everyone has a good training weekend! 

2010-03-19 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2727986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
lufferly - 2010-03-15 8:53 PM

Lots of catching up to do for me. After I saw STEVE's race schedule, I just got too tired to go any further!

Last week was a really tough week for me.

My 80 yo stepfather found out his lung cancer has metastasized and is now stage IV ... and he's opted for chemo which I think is going to be very tough on him (starts on Wednesday). When he was originally diagnose about a year ago, the MDs told him chemo wasn't even an option because he was so deconditioned.  (He retired at the age of 55 and has literally done nothing but sit at the breakfast room table reading and working crossword puzzles for the past 25 years ... finally went to the MD when he couldn't walk across the room any longer).

AND, my DH's job wants to transfer him to Oklahoma City ... so, we've been "house hunting" online to see if it would even be an option. Lots to think about, as I'd be leaving a great job that pays more than his; and leaving all of my family ... I'm a native Houstonian.  His job here will likely be eliminated in the next 6 months, but he would be eligible for about a year's salary as severance.  But, he can take retirement at the age of 55 (3 1/2 more years).  His bosses has been asking him for about 4 months if he'd be interested in moving up there and he's been telling them that we can't make a decision until we see the actual offer ... guess that will be coming in the next week or so.

Missed two of my training days and was feeling badly about it, until I finally convinced myself it was okay ... then proceeded to work about 17 hours in my yard over the last three days ... had to take a mental health day off from work myself today!  ... but my yard/gardens are looking great and I'm feeling much better and ready to get back at it! And my pool has warmed to 72 degrees, yay!

Keep up all of the good work everyone!! Glad to hear that it seems like most of the injuries are better! Need to go find out what Fitz has in store for me this week!

Lisa:

Sorry to hear about your stepfather. I hope you're doing okay.

And what a stressful situation with your husband's job. It's so tough to think about moving, never mind when it's a situation where you have to move in order to be employed... I hope it all turns out well.

Tracey
2010-03-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2731668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-03-17 2:12 PM

stevebradley - 2010-03-17 5:18 AM STEVE - Great job on the swim and the run. "Boiled the frog"? That's a new one on me! That was a huge swim session, and I'm anxious to hear how the follow-up in the outdoor 50m pool worked, especially if you were able to do the 25 laps with a happy body in tow. Those moments of visualization are pretty sweet, aren't they? But that reminds me that I haven't remembered to go to the Showdown site and look at the maps and profiles and all. Make ....note....to....do....that. Okay!

Boiling a frog - if you put a frog in a pot of water and turn the heat on, as the water heats up, the frog won't jump out.  It can't perceive the increase in temperature (discomfort) until its boiling and then it's too late!  :-)

Swim was a fiasco.  They no longer do the 50m set up, so it was a 25 yard turn around again, and CROWDED.  Swam for 40 minutes and then got tired of doing circles and got out.  Will do another session in my quiet/non-crowded pool to make up the time.  Have to admit that the arms were fatigued and I felt I was swimming through mud for a while.  At the same time, once I settled into mud-mode, I was fine. 

SteveA:

What's a 50m set up? The pool at my Y is 25 yards long, so all my swims have lots of turns. I can't wait to get my wet suit and start doing open water swims.

Tracey

2010-03-19 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2734756

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
FoxfireTX - 2010-03-18 9:41 PM

SteveB, didn't get the bike ride in yesterday, ended up lunching and shopping instead.  But did a 16 mile ride today.  It was a gorgeous day here, temps in the upper 60's to low 70's.  Not too bad on the wind either.  Rode the Trinity Trail which got really crazy with both car and pedestrian traffic near Trinity Park with spring break and the nice weather.  Unfortunately the trail is under construction and closed at this point.  After looking at the car traffic 6 lanes deep lined up to get into the zoo I got off my bike and walked it through the traffic and construction.  But for the most part it was a nice ride.  My back was a little sore by the end but no real sciatica pain and stretching helped.  I am planning on a short swim tomorrow and Pilates and that's it.

So I need everyone to keep their fingers crossed that my back holds up and I get through my first race Saturday without feeling totally disappointed.  After four weeks of not running, I'd be feeling it even if the back wasn't a problem.  My legs noticed the two miles last week sooo...we shall see what happens.  Just trying to stay positive.

Good luck on Saturday Diane!

2010-03-19 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2736238

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-03-19 3:24 PM REALLY?????

Good luck getting rid of the cold, resting up, and with the trip to St George!  And good luck with KU
2010-03-19 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
DIANE!Good luck tomorrow!Mandy

2010-03-19 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SteveB:

I have a couple of achievements from both swimming and running today that I'm excited to report!

I went for a swim yesterday after being away for a week (I had to travel to Philly for work for a few days last week, then when I got home I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning. So that had me out of service for a couple more days...) For some reason, when I'm away from the pool for more than a few days, my form and ability seem to suffer. Yesterday started out disastrous. My swimming was clumsy and choppy, and I was extremely tired. I felt totally out of my element. Instead of the consecutive 500 meters I've been able to do, I had to rest every 100 meters or so. I did have the excuse of still being somewhat dehydrated and tired from the food poisoning, but I think being away had something to do with it too. I did end up yesterday's session though with a consecutive 250 meters, so I think I started to get back into the groove toward the end.

I was back at the pool today, and thankfully I was able to complete the 500 meters with no rest. So I think it was just a matter of getting back into the swing of things. And I was happy to see that I finished it in slightly less time than my last 500 meters. Yay!

But the bigger accomplishment came afterwards when I decided to do another 250 meters, this time focusing just on the catch by exaggerating the pause in the hands just before the recovery stroke, and really reaching with my arms. I intentionally slowed my stroke rate down, because I wanted to really focus on getting a good catch and reach so I can work on improving my glide. I FELT like I was moving slowly, because my arms were going slow (and also because I was less breathless), but I was surprised to see that I finished the 250 meters in my usual time (about 8 minutes). So.... since I was moving my arms more slowly, but maintained my usual speed, this must mean that I decreased my stroke rate. I guess all that work on catching the water, reaching and gliding really does help with efficiency!! I only counted my stroke rate once, a few months ago, and it was about 21 strokes per 25 meters. I'll have to count again the next time I'm at the pool and see where I'm at now.

I also went for a short 2 mile run today. Even though it was a beautiful morning, I was just not feeling it. Within literally the first 1 minute of the run, I was saying to myself: I HATE running... this is getting harder, not easier... why in the world did I sign up for a 10k... But I kind of pushed myself along. I ran at what I'd consider a comfortable pace. Breathing pretty heavily but not really pushing myself. I was just kind of wanting to get it overwith. But I had skimmed through a few of the sections of the Chi Running book the other day, and one of the things they suggest is to imagine that you are making circles with your feet as you run (as opposed to just sort of moving them back and forth in a sawing motion, I guess). So I tried doing this throughout the run. As I got tired, I still imagined the circles but just did smaller circles. When I finished the 2 miles, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I did it in 23:17, which is considerably better than the 12 or 12 1/2 minute miles I usually do. I imagine that circling motion is making me lift my heels back a little more (which I struggle to do), which in turn might be propelling me a but further with each stroke. I'm just guessing here... But it was a good end result, nonetheless! I'm interested to see what else I'll learn tomorrow at the Chi Running clinic at the expo.

Tracey

2010-03-19 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2736397

User image

thall0672 - 2010-03-19 1:25 PM
SAquavia - 2010-03-17 2:12 PM
stevebradley - 2010-03-17 5:18 AM STEVE - Great job on the swim and the run. "Boiled the frog"? That's a new one on me! That was a huge swim session, and I'm anxious to hear how the follow-up in the outdoor 50m pool worked, especially if you were able to do the 25 laps with a happy body in tow. Those moments of visualization are pretty sweet, aren't they? But that reminds me that I haven't remembered to go to the Showdown site and look at the maps and profiles and all. Make ....note....to....do....that. Okay!

Boiling a frog - if you put a frog in a pot of water and turn the heat on, as the water heats up, the frog won't jump out.  It can't perceive the increase in temperature (discomfort) until its boiling and then it's too late!  :-)

Swim was a fiasco.  They no longer do the 50m set up, so it was a 25 yard turn around again, and CROWDED.  Swam for 40 minutes and then got tired of doing circles and got out.  Will do another session in my quiet/non-crowded pool to make up the time.  Have to admit that the arms were fatigued and I felt I was swimming through mud for a while.  At the same time, once I settled into mud-mode, I was fine. 
SteveA: What's a 50m set up? The pool at my Y is 25 yards long, so all my swims have lots of turns. I can't wait to get my wet suit and start doing open water swims. Tracey

Oh, they just switch up the lane lines to go the long way (50m) instead of across the pool (25m).  I guess they'll run the 50m lengths once swim season is over for the high schools. 

I'm with you on the open water.  I'm a little nervous about my sleeveless suit, as all the posters on the IMSG board are making the water temperature sound like the North Atlantic in Titanic.  I'm pretty sure that the water off Malibu is in the 60-64 range when I train in it, and that's what the lake should be like, so I'm assuming they are all just being dramatic.  Let's hope so! 
2010-03-19 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2736498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-03-19 5:16 PM

I'm with you on the open water.  I'm a little nervous about my sleeveless suit, as all the posters on the IMSG board are making the water temperature sound like the North Atlantic in Titanic.  I'm pretty sure that the water off Malibu is in the 60-64 range when I train in it, and that's what the lake should be like, so I'm assuming they are all just being dramatic.  Let's hope so! 

I hear the same thing about Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, although I imagine water temps in the lakes of New Hampshire are considerably colder than where you will be!

2010-03-19 6:02 PM

User image

OK, I just have to laugh out loud again.  Made the mistake of getting onto the IM Distance forum.  Somewhere along the line, and I'm not sure where, I must have downgraded from "Type A" to "Type B". 

One recent posting was all about someone who just realized, 10 weeks out from their event, that they miscounted, and that they only have 23 weeks to do a 24 week plan, and should they try to cram the extra week of training into the time left?  Their plan calls for swims on M, W, F, and they can only swim on M, T, SA, and should they just give up? 

yadda
yadda
yadda

STEVE B - help me out here, because as I get closer and closer, I'm becoming less and less concerned about every little workout.  This week, for example, after the hard weekend workouts, I took a rest day Monday, ran hard Tuesday, and will not have run again until tonight.  Technically, I was supposed to have already had 3 runs by today and then another long run on Sunday.  I'm not really worried about it.  I read some posts that I'm supposed to be taking my body to the bleeding edge during the peak.  Should I be worried about backing off a run or bike if things are very sore, or should I be pushing the issue unless I am truly injured? 

I guess I just don't feel any huge sense of panic right now - I am kind of manic about my long sessions, but not at all concerned if I miss a 1-hour session here and there mid-week.

Thoughts?
2010-03-19 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve A - lets hope the water is warm for your event!

Tracey - by August, Lake Winn will be fairly warm - I think high 60's, but Steve B can say better than me...Ofcourse, consider the source (me saying the water in NH is warm), who is looking at the recently iced-out Wyman Lake boat launch drooling just a little and considering a dip (if I can only con someone to boat with me for safety, I am in). 

2010-03-19 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2726850

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
smarx - 2010-03-15 10:26 AM Kasia,

Good luck!! Like SteveB is a running shoe geek and got into tri's from a running background, I come from bikes and am learning about them as I go.

My foray into the bike store on Sat had them telling me that I'd want at least the 1.5 but more likely the 2.1 with the full 105 drivetrain. Or the equivalent Gary Fisher as those are the two brands the shop sells.

Shaun,

Seems like your LBS is on the same page with my LBS. I'm leaning towards to the 2.1 solely because of the 105 drivetrain. Seems to be a consensus among most bike people that it's worth the extra couple hundred bucks. Next step is deciding what sort of pedals I want for the bike. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Tri Fly II shoes with no screws/clip-ins/whatever you wanna call them. They're compatible with SPD and three hole LOOK style pedal systems, whatever that means. Care to enlighten me? Pretty please...
2010-03-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2726541

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
stevebradley - 2010-03-15 8:29 AM KASIA - Well, THAT sounds like a viable form of cross-training! But to what team are you referring? (I feel I should know this, that you've mentioned it but it's slipped my mind.) Very good on the longer rides, and DEFINITELY good at the swim times improving. Don't worry at all about the "slowly" part -- just take great encouragement from any improvement, period. And good too on inching closer to the bike purchase. Decisions, decisions for you, too!

Steve,

Rugby team. Definitely gave the quads a workout, so I'll sub that for the bike ride I was supposed to do that day.

Speaking of bike decisions, I'm trying to decide between pedal systems. See my above post to Shaun. Essentially, what's the difference between SPD and three hole LOOK style?

Kasia
2010-03-19 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2736480

Master
Kitchener
thall0672 - 2010-03-19 5:09 PM SteveB: I have a couple of achievements from both swimming and running today that I'm excited to report! I went for a swim yesterday after being away for a week (I had to travel to Philly for work for a few days last week, then when I got home I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning. So that had me out of service for a couple more days...) For some reason, when I'm away from the pool for more than a few days, my form and ability seem to suffer. Yesterday started out disastrous. My swimming was clumsy and choppy, and I was extremely tired. I felt totally out of my element. Instead of the consecutive 500 meters I've been able to do, I had to rest every 100 meters or so. I did have the excuse of still being somewhat dehydrated and tired from the food poisoning, but I think being away had something to do with it too. I did end up yesterday's session though with a consecutive 250 meters, so I think I started to get back into the groove toward the end. I was back at the pool today, and thankfully I was able to complete the 500 meters with no rest. So I think it was just a matter of getting back into the swing of things. And I was happy to see that I finished it in slightly less time than my last 500 meters. Yay! But the bigger accomplishment came afterwards when I decided to do another 250 meters, this time focusing just on the catch by exaggerating the pause in the hands just before the recovery stroke, and really reaching with my arms. I intentionally slowed my stroke rate down, because I wanted to really focus on getting a good catch and reach so I can work on improving my glide. I FELT like I was moving slowly, because my arms were going slow (and also because I was less breathless), but I was surprised to see that I finished the 250 meters in my usual time (about 8 minutes). So.... since I was moving my arms more slowly, but maintained my usual speed, this must mean that I decreased my stroke rate. I guess all that work on catching the water, reaching and gliding really does help with efficiency!! I only counted my stroke rate once, a few months ago, and it was about 21 strokes per 25 meters. I'll have to count again the next time I'm at the pool and see where I'm at now. I also went for a short 2 mile run today. Even though it was a beautiful morning, I was just not feeling it. Within literally the first 1 minute of the run, I was saying to myself: I HATE running... this is getting harder, not easier... why in the world did I sign up for a 10k... But I kind of pushed myself along. I ran at what I'd consider a comfortable pace. Breathing pretty heavily but not really pushing myself. I was just kind of wanting to get it overwith. But I had skimmed through a few of the sections of the Chi Running book the other day, and one of the things they suggest is to imagine that you are making circles with your feet as you run (as opposed to just sort of moving them back and forth in a sawing motion, I guess). So I tried doing this throughout the run. As I got tired, I still imagined the circles but just did smaller circles. When I finished the 2 miles, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I did it in 23:17, which is considerably better than the 12 or 12 1/2 minute miles I usually do. I imagine that circling motion is making me lift my heels back a little more (which I struggle to do), which in turn might be propelling me a but further with each stroke. I'm just guessing here... But it was a good end result, nonetheless! I'm interested to see what else I'll learn tomorrow at the Chi Running clinic at the expo. Tracey

Nice going on the swimming and running.   It's great to hear when things go well.  

Very encouraging to hear how the Chi running helped.   I think I am going to have to give it a whirl again, because right now, my running is going no where.

Have fun at the expo.   
2010-03-19 8:20 PM

Master
Kitchener
As they say, the best laid plans.........

Got to the pool today to do my swim and then do the tethered water running right after (laying off the dry land for a week) and forgot it was March break so the schedule was all messed up.   No problem.   We have another pool close by and I was able to get over there in time for the start.   There must have been 30 people in 2 lanes, and I will call them seniors, even though I know that is what I am!     The people in the medium lane were all WALKING and the people in the fast lane were doing dog paddle, some kind of back stroke that looked liked walking backwards and the others were floating logs.   Can you tell I was grumpy???   I'm not even fast and I would wait till most of them were at the other end of the pool and start swimming and by the time I'm half way up the other side, they are 3 abreast and there is no way I can pass them so I have to STOP swimming. 

Talked to the lifeguard about have 2 lines of circle swimming because the lane is double a normal width, and basically he shook his head, so I decided fine, don't ruin my day, just do what I can.   On the way out I spoke to the attendant and she said these people have been coming for 25 years and they won't listen to the lifeguards - they start yelling and being verbally abusive.   I have a hard time comprehending this.   

SO, I finish my swim, scoot home for lunch and figure I will pick up some groceries, then do a bike ride and get to the 6:00 p.m. running class.   After my last stop, I throw my bags in the trunk along with my purse and my KEYS and shut the trunk!   Ken had just started a 90 min yoga class, so there was no way I was going anywhere for a couple of hours.   Thankfully it was beautiful day and I wandered the streets for a while, and also I was only 10 minutes from the yoga studio so was able to sit and wait for Ken to drive me home and get the extra set of keys.

SO, no bike ride,   and no water running, but there was NO WAY I was going without supper!    It may have been 8:30, but at least I can say my tummy is full.  

I guess somebody was trying to tell me I needed a rest today.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276