BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-19 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2736747

Regular
Nebraska
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:15 PM

2010-03-19 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2736747

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:16 PM
2010-03-20 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2735794

User image

Champion

GANG!

About the time I disappeared for a long stint in Ottawa, going into late last night, you all got very active. Now I'm mammothly behind, and battling Lynn for computer access. I shall do my best!!

2010-03-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2737093

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Nope, the early-early ones -- "Blues, Rags, and Hollers" and the two follow-ups with similar titles.

Dave Ray is the one who died, about 4 years ago, maybe. Sometime in the early 70s he got badly hurt in a motorcycle accident, I think, and never played truly effectively again.

Tony Glover was my harp instructor -- or at least his book, "Blues Harp" was. That was the only book on harp at the time (mid-60s), and I think it is still in print. It is a hoot to read, written in a jive/beat/hipster lingo.

They were really somehing else; where they learned those chops so early in that early is staggering. Dave "Snaker" Ray was just ominous, with tha voice and his command of the 12-string; his hollers can still raise the hair on the back of my neck. And "Spider John" was altogether different, much more sprightly and doing things with his 7-string that Big Joe Williams never did with his. (And I guess you know only too well that you were in "competition" with many others who were similarly smitten by him.) And as for "Little Sun" -- he was my first harp-hero, and served to introduce me to the real legends.

For a while I affected big old black engineer boots, just because K,R,&G did -- or maybe it was just Glover.

So you saw Dylan in Dinkytown -- the young Bob Dylan! Jeez, you're dating yourself there! He must've come down from Hibbing in '59? '60? '61? Wasn't he in NYC by '62, '63 at the latest? (Were you giving your parents fits in your early teen years? )

Sorry about the Gophers, but you and daughter must be pleased about the Badgers. You'd gotten me all excited about the Gophers, so I took that loss kind of hard last night. I'm better this morning, though!

2010-03-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2736211

User image

Champion

MANDY -

I missed your post about the calf. Urp. Is it any better today?

2010-03-20 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2736360

User image

Champion

DIANE -

With bated breath, I await your report!!

2010-03-20 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2736480

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

And I await your report, too! I'm very sorry I couldn't make it down, it's just that about half a dozen things can up to derail it for me. Wait 'til next year??

As for YOU, though, you put yourself right on the cusp on those clinics with the recent swim and the run. There you were, finding success with both TI and Chi techniques, and if that doesn't prime you for those clinics, nothing will!

Your analysis of both the swim and the run is excellent. That's a very good skill you seem to have, that being the ability to kind of get outside yourself and see what you're doing. I don't think it's all that common to be able to do that so well; it's certainly not easy for me!

Ta-da!

2010-03-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2736238

User image

Champion

STEVE -

I'd forgotten that this was your second date with SG! Are you feeling any better? All those meds! And yes, zinc is a metal -- and also good for the prostate , so metal detectors be damned!

That'a a very sweet paln for the weekend, too. A swim at Lake Mead sounds especially alluring right about now.

RCJHGKU --- I'll keep working on that. I think I've got the KU part, but the others......? Gotta get some clarity of thought going!

2010-03-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2737109

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-03-20 10:24 AM MANDY - I missed your post about the calf. Urp. Is it any better today?

It is OK. It hurts.  Crappy.  I am not injured yet, just on the second string...ha

It was great the other day when I ran 5, then 2 days later I went to run 8, only made it 2 and limped home because it was getting worse, like a knife in the lower calf (yeah, that is the other thing, a new spot.  WTF???) not better. Compression, Ice, Elevation, foam roller, the stick, stretching...I am going to try it out tomorrow.  I am bummed, but swam yesterday and am biking today.  I am going to try to run lightly tomorrow to see how it feels....I am scheduled for 12, down from 14 (which was no pain at all) last week, but am just going to try it and see what happens, might be a 1...  Grr.  PT on Mon, we will check it out officially then. 

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-03-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2736598

User image

Champion

STEVE again -

If I believe anything, it's that a great way to get "truly injured" is to continue pushing yourself to "the bleeding edge" when things "are very sore". At least for me, that's a sure-fire sequence. I mean, I've been there, done that ---- and suffered through being on the shelf for a while and/or bailing on races.

I dunno. I really think that a lot of the forum talk is bravado, and that many people want the bragging rights that come with what they perceive as a true Iron Experience. I will NEVER downplay the significance or demands of training for an iron distance, but most age groupers do not turn it into an enduring masochistic enterprise. There's a certain breed of athlete that can push themselves endlessly to no ill effect, ever, but they are few and very far between; for the rest of us, we try it and pay the price very quickly.

By your own admission you seem to be less committed to the shorter workouts, so if something must go I guess it should be them. As it stands now, they are probably kind of "junk-miles" for you, so if you think your body needs some breaks, cut those ones out. Those ones and also speedwork -- at least on the run. Fartleks and moderate tempos are probably okay, but no tough intervals!

How are you treating this coming week, between your SG date and Showdown? Will it be a true taper? I think it should be, given that today and tomorrow look to be quite full and possibly fairly tough. What do you think?

Finally, it's probably better to go into an iron -- especially the first -- with a Type B mindset than a Type A. So what you refer to as a downgrade, I see it as an upgrade! Simply, along with all the bodily aggravation, who needs to compound that with further mental aggravation?

2010-03-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Good morning everyone.  Sorry Steve, no race report.  We planned to race despite the weather until we actually got on the road.  It was raining and blowing so hard that visibility was compromised and water was standing on the freeway along with falling temps.  At that point, we decided to bag it and go to breakfast instead.  I think if we had trained hard for this we would have done it in any event but given the lack of training due to injuries it wasn't worth it.  While we lost our entry fee, it would have cost far more to replace my running shoes which no doubt would have been ruined.  And I learned some things for the future.  One of the most important is that a rain poncho will be a permanent part of my gear bag.  I did dig one out of a closet last night so it will now stay with my other gear.  I think my back could have made it, got up early enough to do some stretching and Pilates and iced it until I walked out the door.  So we will look for another one for like 4 weeks out which hopefully will give us enough time to heal and do a little training at least.

Tracey, nice job on the run and swim.  I'll have to keep the circling thing in mind for running. 

Anne, looks like a forced day off was in the plan, even if not your plan! 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2010-03-20 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2737130

User image

Champion

Lynn is ominous! I'm being bumped! Run away, run away!

2010-03-20 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

SteveB
I found this in Wikipedia

Zimmerman moved to Minneapolis in September 1959 and enrolled at the University of Minnesota. His early focus on rock and roll gave way to an interest in American folk music.  ........He soon began to perform at the 10 O'clock Scholar, a coffee house a few blocks from campus, and became actively involved in the local Dinkytown folk music circuit. ....During his Dinkytown days, Zimmerman began introducing himself as "Bob Dylan." ............Dylan dropped out of college at the end of his freshman year. In January 1961, he moved to New York City..........

I know I was in HS so it must have been fall,61 when I saw him.

You played the harp and wore engineer boots??? haha - I'm trying to picture that.

Denise

2010-03-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2737132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
FoxfireTX - 2010-03-20 9:58 AM Good morning everyone.  Sorry Steve, no race report.  We planned to race despite the weather until we actually got on the road.  It was raining and blowing so hard that visibility was compromised and water was standing on the freeway along with falling temps.  At that point, we decided to bag it and go to breakfast instead.  I think if we had trained hard for this we would have done it in any event but given the lack of training due to injuries it wasn't worth it.  While we lost our entry fee, it would have cost far more to replace my running shoes which no doubt would have been ruined.  And I learned some things for the future.  One of the most important is that a rain poncho will be a permanent part of my gear bag.  I did dig one out of a closet last night so it will now stay with my other gear.  I think my back could have made it, got up early enough to do some stretching and Pilates and iced it until I walked out the door.  So we will look for another one for like 4 weeks out which hopefully will give us enough time to heal and do a little training at least.

Tracey, nice job on the run and swim.  I'll have to keep the circling thing in mind for running. 

Anne, looks like a forced day off was in the plan, even if not your plan! 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Another day - another race.  Since you couldn't train it's probably just as well.  And if you keep up with this stuff, it won't be the last race fee you forfeit.  Every once in awhile, something happens.  Time to move on.

Denise
2010-03-20 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2737106

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-03-20 9:22 AM
DENISE -

Nope, the early-early ones -- "Blues, Rags, and Hollers" and the two follow-ups with similar titles.

And still easily available via iTunes. I have "Down to Louisiana" that I picked up as a single somewhere, but had forgotten how good it is. I think I'll get the rest of the album. Good blues is sustenance for my soul.

Hope everyone has a good training/racing day today. No workout for me yesterday - a 13 hour day-trip to the Mall of America with my wife and daughters (oy, talk about an endurance sport :) ).

I am an Iowa grad (go Hawks) and Wisconsin grad (go Badgers), so am pulling for Wiscy (though when it's Iowa & Wisconsin head-to-head there's no question, I'm an Iowa boy). I LOVE college basketball & football - others can have the pros, give me college sports. BTW - the Hawkeyes have won their 3rd straight NCAA wrestling title, and 23rd overall - go Hawks!
Mark

Edited by TriD64 2010-03-20 3:04 PM
2010-03-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2729239

New user
Alright, I've been a fair bit busy lately (the two tri clinics and the open house at Running Fit, who also puts on a tri series, more later...). Now I'm at work until 11pm, so I apologize now for the number of posts and probably the 284 directions my head is going....

So, TONS of information this week. All great. Some of the best was about local clubs for people to train with especially when I get working outside. I've now found some locals that I'll probably be able to at least swim and run with. Biking might not work out so well if they are on some fancy dancy road/tri bikes.

Hope you're all having a great weekend and training hard!!

2010-03-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2729239

New user
Mandy,

You've already gotten lots of answers but I'm going to throw some info out there.

1. I use a bag under my seat and a pump mounted to the frame under the water bottle holder on the seat tube. I carry tire levers, tube, cash, health care card, multi tool and if riding alone a cell phone just in case. Also if riding offroad some of this may migrate to the CamelBack,. where I can also hold some food.
2. No help from me here!
3. I don't recall the brand, but I got a CO2 / hand pump. So if I ever run out of cartridges, I still have a hand pump option. This mounts to the frame and is fairly small. I've also got a home floor pump. Check the REI outlet for stuff like this. Sometimes 50% off retail for a floor pump.
4. I know you didn't directly ask but I've seen comment on CamelBack's. I wear a 2L model when mountain biking and swear by it for that. For doing a tri? Sure its a great option that would lessen the hand to mouth co-ordination needed. I wouldn't use it because I don't think I'll need the 2L of liquid. I do recommend that if someone is to use one, throw some ice in it to keep the liquid cold. So much more pleasant than drinking hot water. I'll be using 2 frame mount water bottles for my events so long as none of them are in 100+ heat.

As for unclipping, I unclip about 20 feet from where I plan on stopping and coast on up with my feet hanging off. I still have some small fear of unclipping my right foot and somehow falling over to my left...Unclip early is my best advice.

Watching the tri demonstrations on transitions this weekend was quite good. 50-50 on who had shoes on bike and who put bike shoes on in transition.
2010-03-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2732247

New user
SteveA,

Thanks for the history lesson on your tri-career! Very interesting. I'm half way between scared and ambitious that I'm falling into tri's being somewhat life changing. I'm thouroughly enjoying all of the indoors training and learning as much as I have and going to the local tri seminars / exhibitions.
2010-03-20 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2736238

New user
SteveA,

Airborne's are fantastic!!! I was dog sick the day before leaving for a friend's wedding in Oct and loaded up on Airborne's, Echinacea, Vitamin C and Astragalus. Astragalus came highly recommended as a immune booster. Needless to say next day I was great. Kept myself loaded full of Vitamin C and Astragalus and alcohol (we were in Savannah, GA) and I felt great. No sign of a cold the entire 4 day trip.
2010-03-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2736634

New user

Kasia,

Of course I'll try and enlighten you!!

SPD is the 2 bolt side by side mounting pattern. Or sometimes referred to as mountain bike pattern. So You could go with Shimano or Crank Brothers or other pedals and clips that are SPD compatible. These tend to have 'float' which allows your feet to turn a bit in the pedals and not come unclipped. Sort of like toe clips on ski bindings (not sure if you learned to ski before snowboarding). Where as on a snowboard (I'm also assuming you use traditional strap in bindings on your board and not step-ins), you really can't twist your feet, you're locked into whatever angle you set the bindings to.

Look style clips are the generally what you'll see on road and tri bikes. The clip is a larger triangle shape than SPD. Do they have float? I don't know, either of the Steve's could comment there.

Wikipedia has a brief description of the two http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal

I have SPD's. The 'Look' cleats aren't meant for getting dirt and mud between the cleat and the pedal so they don't work well for offroad. Also all mountain shoes have tread around the cleats so the cleat is recessed. IMO, for where I am right now in tri's this is a benefit as I can put the shoes on in transition and run in them.

Really its personal preference. A LBS guy could probably explain to you better (or at least with visuals)!

The other thing about 105 is that it is 9 or 10 cogs. Knowing that the higher end bikes are 10 cogs, my desire would be to get a bike that is made for that. Main reason I say that is that let's say you keep the bike for 4 years and a you want to upgrade vs buy a new bike, you could take your 10 cog 105 gear and upgrade it all do Ultegra. Also, the entry level bikes tend to not be very upgrade friendly as I found when first looking at mountain bikes. So when I bought mine, I spent what I intended to, but bought a year old with almost top of the line components knowing I could upgrade and replace easily if I needed to.

Seeing more and more bikes hit Craigslist around here...Some good prices. I might be going to look at one or two tomorrow.

Talking to a LBS guy the other day, he said if I really get serious about the tri thing to that they'd fit me ($250) and give me a list of tri bikes to look for off E-bay. They sell all the major tri bikes but know not everyone can afford new.

2010-03-20 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

I LOVE IT!  I LOVE IT! Lil' ol' Northern Iowa.  (Actually my dear departed mother-in-law graduated from N. Iowa)

So many upsets, and near upsets, and overtimes this year.  You don't know what's going to happen

Denise

2010-03-20 8:00 PM

New user
Diane,

I probably would have done the same with those weather conditions!! I'm sure the next one will be all the better.
2010-03-20 8:10 PM

New user
SteveB and others,

So I've yet to register for any events and am trying to figure out which I want to do so I can set some dates in stone...Well maybe stiff sand...

I figure I'm starting with Hawk Island on 6/6. Then it goes into a spiral...I'm hearing more and more about the T-Rex Series (http://www.runtrextri.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1) which sounds great to see how much I quciken over the summer. Also, the T-Rex races are on Wednesday's, so its an excuse to leave work early and still allows me to do more races on weekends.

BUT the first T-Rex race is 3 days before the Welland race. Now that I've broken the idea of racing at Welland to my parents they think that's great and are being pretty supportive (here I thought I was going to get asked if I should be taking medication they do not know about)...

Am I rocking a little to hard to think it is do-able to do 3 races in 20 days? And maybe 8 overall this year with an Olympic in there towards the end? My o My....I started with the idea of doing 3 events and now I'm up to 8?

Also, at the tri expo today I picked up some Hammer products and gels to try out.
2010-03-20 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
WOW, way to much going on around here! It has been a really tough week ... my mother fell early Thursday morning and fractured four ribs, just in time for me stepfather to start his chemo on Friday. OIY!  I've been able to keep up with my training but have felt like a slug all week, and wondering if I should back off from level 3 down to level 2 (ha, or level 1).  Next week is a recovery week, so I'll see how it goes after that.  Hoping to get a 5 or 6 mile run in tomorrow, although the plan is only 40 minutes.

DIANE, sorry about your race but we got that same weather around 10 am this morning, so know what it was like!  Was planning on a run but opted for a swim and bike at the gym, and will get my run in tomorrow (back in the 30s).

STEVE B, way to commit, and get signed up for your first tri of the season!  When exactly is it?

MANDY, sorry to hear about the calf pain.  Hoping things get better quickly for you.

DENISE, hope that your stepfather is recovering.  My mom is now worried that her fall is the beginning of her "decline", and I've had to assure her that she has a lot on her plate right now.  AND way to get out with the clipless pedals ... I've got to get on that soon!

STEVE A, how is the cold?  Hopefully your 2nd St. George trial is going well.  Looking forward to a report.  Thought you were going to stay off those IM forums and just keep with us for the positive thinking!

TRACY, great swim AND run breakthroughs!  Funny, I was thinking the same thing during my swim this morning ... "this is getting harder instead of easier" ... UGH!  but you did great.  Hope the expo went well, and I'm going to keep that circle thing in mind tomorrow during my run.

ANNE, guess someone was trying to tell you that you needed a little break?!  I am so fortunate where I swim.  Lots of times I'm the only one in the pool, occasionallyl there will be a couple more people in different lanes but not very often. 

M, way to adjust and still get a good training in at the gym!  I think I would have just said "to heck with it"!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  Stay HEALTHY!

Lisa

2010-03-20 9:16 PM

User image

Champion

DIANE -

Good decision, it sounds like! Aonky back might not respond well to the instability of high winds and slippery surfaces, so you maybe sped along your recovery by going for breakfast instead. And if you continue doing this stuff long enough, you'll be AMAZED at how many race fees you end up eating. Take it from me, one who is maybe up to about $1000 (that's right -- a thou-sand ) in lost registration fees over the years.

As for the running shoes, most of them can withstand repeated heavy soakings. But here are a few things to remember for post-soak treatment:
(1) Never put them in the dryer.
(2) Somewhat similarly, don't put them over a hot air vent to dry.
(3) Try not to use them again until they are mostly dry.
(4) Stuffing them with newspaper is a good way to speed up the drying process.

Very good news that your back would've likely been up to the run! Has it continued to feel pretty good today?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276