Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-09-06 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group

Haven't posted in a while, been trying to balance training vs. recovery of my achilles tendon strain.  Good news is that the BarryP 3:2:1 run program has gotten me up to 8.86 miles yesterday w/ no pain (other than the usual aches).  Feel strong and confident on the run.

I'm hoping the next few weeks I can get in some long bike rides to make up for de-training.  I think the bike (and no stretching) caused my injury back in July so I had to back off a bit. Had a more detailed bike fit last week and fitter raised my seat 3mm, which seems to put less strain on the achilles (was fine after a threshold workout today).  Other than that, stretching, nightly torture sessions w/ the Triggerpoint products, wearing a Strasburg sock at night, and eccentric loading has helped the achilles toward the slow road to recovery.

Nations OLY tri this weekend will be a good test to see how everything is holding together.  Wish me luck.

5 weeks to my first HIM!!!

2011-09-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3667853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

rhedrick - 2011-08-31 3:51 PM Hi my name is Ryan and I just signed up for my first HIM in June of 2012.  Plan on using this training schedule starting in January 2012.  I've done 3 Olymipics, some duathlons, and a number of runs.  Running is my weekest leg (no pun intended).  Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope to learn lots of good information from this board and to meet other like minded folks.

rhedrick, congrats on signing up for your first HIM.  Good luck on the training, just remember to ramp up your running GRADUALLY until you have a solid foundation (so make sure you maintain your run fitness over the winter).  I learned the hard way that you can easily injure yourself from doing too much running too soon.

Good luck on the training!

2011-09-06 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Hi all - my name is Ron and I plan on jumping into this plan in January to prepare for Boise 70.3 next June.  I've read through most of the pages in this thread and it sounds like this plan will do the trick.

I joined BT about a year ago as a total newbie.  I'm still a rookie but I've done 3 sprints and one Oly this summer and have a half mary coming up in a couple of weeks.  I hope I'm not jumping into the HIM distance too soon, with only one season of short distance races under my belt - but the longer distance is calling me.

My main concern is that Boise is in early June and will be my first race of the season.  If next Spring is anything like the last, a lot of my bike workouts will be on the trainer and there may not be very many OWS opportunities.

Looking forward to January, I'm already starting to feel a little lost with out a plan

2011-09-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3674452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
windandsurf - 2011-09-06 10:47 AM

Haven't posted in a while, been trying to balance training vs. recovery of my achilles tendon strain.  Good news is that the BarryP 3:2:1 run program has gotten me up to 8.86 miles yesterday w/ no pain (other than the usual aches).  Feel strong and confident on the run.

I'm hoping the next few weeks I can get in some long bike rides to make up for de-training.  I think the bike (and no stretching) caused my injury back in July so I had to back off a bit. Had a more detailed bike fit last week and fitter raised my seat 3mm, which seems to put less strain on the achilles (was fine after a threshold workout today).  Other than that, stretching, nightly torture sessions w/ the Triggerpoint products, wearing a Strasburg sock at night, and eccentric loading has helped the achilles toward the slow road to recovery.

Nations OLY tri this weekend will be a good test to see how everything is holding together.  Wish me luck.

5 weeks to my first HIM!!!

What' the BarryP 3:2:1 run program? I know what you mean about the Achilles. I've been dealing with it off and on for most of the season. Looking forward to doing a HIM next July.
2011-09-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3675468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

lextek - 2011-09-06 9:22 PM What' the BarryP 3:2:1 run program? I know what you mean about the Achilles. I've been dealing with it off and on for most of the season. Looking forward to doing a HIM next July.

Some info from a prior post here:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=266546&posts=9&mid=3664318&highlight=BarryP&highlightmode=1&action=search#M3664318

2011-09-08 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3055834

User image

New user

I am following the schedule but as Fit4Infinity said I am doing quite a lot more especially on the running. I know that fairly quickly after my half ironman I have a marathon coming up so I wanted to keep a good base on my running. I have been keeping a fairly consistent 35-40 miles a week running and have not really had to adjust anything else. I usually try to alternate weekends where if I am doing a longer run I will do a slightly shorter long bike.. or if I know I will be riding longer I don't feel so bad about only doing a 10 mile run that weekend. 
The swimming.. well we don't talk about that so much! I am trying to follow the plan on here more closely for that!!

2011-09-10 11:31 PM

Hola!

Ran my first olympic and looking forward next year to a 1/2 .  Love to train, just want to be injury free.

2011-09-19 3:45 PM

New user

Arden Hills
Planning on trying a HIM next summer so I will start the plan in January   Not worried about the swim as I am a former swimmer but worried a lot about biking and running!!  I don't have a tri bike so will probably be training and racing on my road bike. 
2011-09-20 1:02 PM

I have been a sprinter for almost two years...Im ready to move up to a half iron....I joined a marathon group here in Round Rock to work on my running...need help with the swim mostly
2011-09-20 1:21 PM

whats an RPE???
2011-09-20 10:26 PM

User image

New user

Fox River Valley

I am Kimani Jefferson and I completed my first tri (sprint) this summer. I am hooked now and will complete my first HIM next June. I am concerned, however, about the winter. I am in Green Bay, WI and our winters last from late November to mid April. Is there a program which would increase my level of fitness on a program during the ridiculously cold and/or snowy months of JAN-MAR? I have no worries about the pool since it's indoors and I do have a trainer and treadmill in my home (I sometimes bring the trainer to my office).

Cheers,

Kimani

2011-09-21 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3693637

User image

Pro

Gunner1368 - 2011-09-20 11:21 AM whats an RPE???

RPE stands for "rate of perceived exertion".  i.e. how hard does it feel like you're working.

from the Begginer 1/2 iron plan page: 

RPEDescriptionBike HRRun HR
0Complete RestResting HR=Resting HR=
1Very Weak:
light walking

2Weak:
strong walk, very slow run, easy conversation pace

3Moderate:
easy run, begin to sweat, but can hold conversation throughout

4Somewhat Strong:
still easy, sweating a bit more

7Very Strong:
breathing very labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.

9Cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two  
10Extremely Strong
(almost maximal)

Edited by morey000 2011-09-21 11:32 AM
2011-09-21 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
WOO HOO!  Broke 10 miles this past Monday with no problems.  No neuroma problems, achilles under control and getting stronger with help from ART therapy.  Planning 56 mi. bike this Saturday (unfortunately on the trainer).

One last long run next Monday before starting my taper for my HIM on Oct. 8 (just in time, these long training hours are getting tough on the schedule).  

Any last-minute tips or suggestions would be appreciated.  
2011-09-24 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3695825

User image

Regular
Beaumont, Alberta
windandsurf - 2011-09-21 8:02 PM
WOO HOO!  Broke 10 miles this past Monday with no problems.  No neuroma problems, achilles under control and getting stronger with help from ART therapy.  Planning 56 mi. bike this Saturday (unfortunately on the trainer).

One last long run next Monday before starting my taper for my HIM on Oct. 8 (just in time, these long training hours are getting tough on the schedule).  

Good job on the 10miler!!!!

My best advice is to trust your training and enjoy the day. Don't worry anyone else, just run your own race!!

Good luck Bro!!

2011-09-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3699228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
h9lfc - 2011-09-24 11:42 PM
windandsurf - 2011-09-21 8:02 PM

Good job on the 10miler!!!!

My best advice is to trust your training and enjoy the day. Don't worry anyone else, just run your own race!!

Good luck Bro!!

Thanks, Steve, did 3 1/2 hrs. on the trainer yesterday (watched Die Hard on Netflix streaming) followed by 3 mi. brick run.  Feeling good, almost gonna miss the "training" during the taper.

2011-09-25 3:55 PM

Totally new to the sport, but not new to athletics. Currently from Toronto, Ontario. I am a former strongman/power lifter/coach. Been into athletics since the age of 13, and haven't stopped since. Now I am 28 and decided I wanted something different and more challenging. So over the last few months I have been doing some half marathons and prep work, I will be working towards a 70.3 Ironman next year. Went from a solid 240 lbs to 190 lbs.  Trying to maintain decent muscle but get a little lighter.

The only struggle I am having at this time are trying to find the right gear such as:

-Decent goggles

-Wet suit (perhaps 2 different suits? Drag suit? and one for race day?)

-What to wear in the pool? (I just wear normal bathing suit at the moment) Speedo, what do most athletes wear ?

-Bikes ( I bike indoor at this time) thinking about renting one for my first triathlon. Been calling and emailing stores, hard to find a Carbon/tri/bike...

So this is me, trying to get in order. Any suggestions would be great or PM me. THANKS and great meeting you all!

2011-09-27 5:00 AM

ohio
have done one sprint and plan on doing a half in september of 2012; just trying to get a good base of fitness down for now and when start following a HIM training plan next year, just need a lot of support and advice
2011-09-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3699617

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
pyttlick - 2011-09-25 1:55 PM

The only struggle I am having at this time are trying to find the right gear such as:

-Decent goggles

-What to wear in the pool? (I just wear normal bathing suit at the moment) Speedo, what do most athletes wear ?

-Bikes ( I bike indoor at this time) thinking about renting one for my first triathlon. Been calling and emailing stores, hard to find a Carbon/tri/bike...

So this is me, trying to get in order. Any suggestions would be great or PM me. THANKS and great meeting you all

I was asking the same questions this time a year ago - I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot in the last year.

Can't recommend specific goggles, but spend a few extra bucks and get top-of-the-line. I wasted $15 on a cheap pair that came apart after a couple of months. Ended up with a pair of TYR (can't remember the model). I would recommend tinted or mirrored - they may be dark in the pool, but they make a huge difference during a race when there is sun glare on the water.

I bought an XTERRA wetsuit through their add on this site.  Excellent value and customer service.

For the pool, I got a pair of Speedo jammers.  Make sure you get polyester, chlorine will eat up nylon or lycra.  Here's a thread with a lengthy discussion on the topic: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=234008&start=1

For bikes, take a look at eBay and Craigslist.

2011-10-09 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

WOO HOO!!!  Finished my first HIM yesterday with a finish time of 6:34 (well below my optimistic goal of 7 hrs).  Good swim, great bike, NAILED the run w/o needing to stop or walk at any time.

Full race report is here.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=271125

Hint to other BTers: stick to the plan, be consistent, be smart.  If you're concerned about injuries or run fitness, try the BarryP 3:2:1 program (search this site or PM me if you want more info).

Thanks again to BT for all the wonderful advice and support. 

2011-10-11 8:16 AM

pyttlick - 2011-09-25 3:55 PM

Totally new to the sport, but not new to athletics. Currently from Toronto, Ontario. I am a former strongman/power lifter/coach. Been into athletics since the age of 13, and haven't stopped since. Now I am 28 and decided I wanted something different and more challenging. So over the last few months I have been doing some half marathons and prep work, I will be working towards a 70.3 Ironman next year. Went from a solid 240 lbs to 190 lbs.  Trying to maintain decent muscle but get a little lighter.

-Decent goggles

So this is me, trying to get in order. Any suggestions would be great or PM me. THANKS and great meeting you all!

For the bike I second looking at craigslist. If you end up renting a bike, I would not recommend getting a true tri bike unless you are going to have the opportunity to get some seat time before the race. I am borrowing my neighbors tri bike for my 1st HIM next month. Riding in the aero position for the first time was a little uncomfortable for me. Not as much physically uncomfortable, but more I didn't feel as if I had as much control over the front end (it's a little more twitchy). Everyone is different and you may not have issues, but race day is a bad time to worry about anything but the race itself.

2011-10-11 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
pyttlick - 2011-09-25 4:55 PM

-Decent goggles

You also could contact some local tri clubs or road racing clubs (velo clubs) to see if there are any used road bikes for sale. 

I wouldn't recommend a tri bike unless you have at least a season of tri's under your belt, to make sure you're going to stick with it.  Also, the fit on a tri bike is much more critical.

Road bike is more versatile, and you can put aerobars on a road bike.

What are you using for your indoor bike?

2011-10-12 1:55 PM

San Diego

Hi,

I have been gradually increasing my tri levels and training and I have two olympic races left this year. Chula Vista Challenge is Oct 16 and HITS Olympic is in Palm Springs Dec 3.  

My 2012 goals:  March 31, 70.3 Oceanside as well as the Triple Crown half marathon Series throughout SD (Jan/Apr/Aug).  The first half is in Carlsbad Jan 22 which is in 12 weeks.  I like the idea of half marathons over fulls because I ran the full RocknRoll in June and swore I'd never do it again.  However, a full ironman creeps into my thoughts now and then but that's far in the distance.

I got caught up in peer pressure for the 70.3 signup in March and clearly didn't think through how cold it will be that day as well as the hills might kill me where I may end up walking the 1/2!  However as the saying goes: When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results.  So I am focusing a little more on strength training and 6 months of a stationary bike course made of mostly century riders who live for hills. I struggle with wondering if I am training enough or over-training a lot.  I've used the BT olympic schedule and it has helped me a lot so I hope the 1/2 ironman schedule will do the same.

I do have a question about the 20 wk BT 1/2 plan.  Since my race is Mar 31, how should I handle Thanksgiving week/Christmans week?  If I start Oct 30, I have 22 weeks.  Should I use the holiday weeks as taper weeks and modify or just stick to the plan? 

Also I have to modify biking anyway due to the trainer classes but the plan is in PDF.  Anyway to get an excel spreadsheet like the BT Olympic planoffered?

Thanks

Lisa

Edited by ldserrano 2011-10-12 2:59 PM
2011-10-26 1:34 PM

hi there i am such a beginner its not even funny!! running is fine. just did a 21km the other day even though it was verrrry slow!! swimming is ok but also very begining stages of about 1.2km. no cycling what so ever. fell in the bushes the first time with my cleets on it was spectacular!

My question is this. Is it possiible to train for a half iron man in 3 months based on the fact that i have no cycling base and very little swimming? i see the beginner plan is 20 weeks. Maybe i am too ambitious at this stage?

2011-10-27 7:19 AM

New user

i have just enterd my first 70.3 it is some 9 months away. how did you find it? how did the training program work for you?
2011-10-27 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3740043

New user

It would be good to get some advice on what to expect etc and how you guys started planning and testing you hydration and nutrition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150