BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-22 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2741592

Regular
Nebraska
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:20 PM

2010-03-22 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2738105

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:20 PM
2010-03-23 6:19 AM
in reply to: #2739066

New user
TRACEY, Great re-cap of the Expo!! Sounds like it would be very interesting to go to. Is it a multi-day event?

STEVEB, glad to hear the marathon's went well for daughter and sis-in-law. Also sad to see Gonzaga go out early on...Based on name alone they've always been one of my pics!

MANDY, Congrats on the good bike ride!! Mr. Swim Smooth!! How I think I look like him in the pool!! Yet I know its probably only for the first 50m or so.

STEVEA, Sorry to hear about the weekend not going as well as planned. Still a huge effort! Any plans for heading up a few days prior to IMSG so you can get used to the elevation and maybe get some runs and rides in?

MARK, that's one marathon shopping day! Hopefully they didn't entirely deplete the tri fund!

KASIA & M, Just last week I tried out the catch up drill and it definitely changes things. It is a good drill and one that will take some time to get right. I found I either got 3/4's of the way to having both hands together before I'd start my pull or would have my hands together for a few seconds and start to sink a bit. It's a tricky one but seems very worth it due to how Mandy describes it. Less motion in the ocean but your going further with each motion.

M, glad to help any way I can!!
2010-03-23 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2741381

New user
Kasia,

Glad that helped!!

Maybe either of the STEVE's can give more info on LOOK or road clips but my understanding of them is that they don't have 'float' like the SPD style cleats. Also, one point I forgot, when you look at SPD there are a few different designs. Shimano and Crank Brothers seem to be the main two. They are not compatible with each other though. As an FYI, I have the Crank Brothers Egg beaters (http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php). They have no platform whatsoever and look like they'd be horribly uncomfortable. With the bike shoes being as stiff or stiffer than the bottom of ski boots, when I pedal it feels like I am pushing down against the entire length of my foot. So don't be scared of these because they look uncomfortable. Clipless pedals with some osrt of platform do seem to be more popular with tri people though so you have a bit of grip on if you don't clip in right away...

From what I've seen, I would say that is true about the 105 drivetrain. 10 speed seems to be the norm for road/tri bikes at the higher end. So there would be more components available and more room to go higher these days. That is important to me and was one of my main decision points when buying the MTB. Now though, I look at upgrade parts and the price is a shocker!!

I think most bike shops will help you out that far especially if you spend the $200 to get FIST fit. They know new bikes are not cheap and that not everyone lives to bike. They understand further when tri bikes are involved. The starting point is $1500 but to really have options it seems you need to be ready to spend $2500+. The other big thing they understand (like the STEVE's have said) is that they know the value of having a good relationship with you. Someone is going to have to assemble the bike you bought off E-Bay. Not to mention service it once or twice a year. Heck, most mechanics I've talked to have bought bikes used (or continue to do so) so they can ride nicer equipment vs what they can afford to buy new.
2010-03-23 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2739326

New user
SteveB,

I was just making sure you had not forgot!

From a pure distance stand point, I'm probably over training for H.I. now as once a week I am running for an hour and get 5.75 miles or so. I'm not training for speed, but I've got the distance covered right now.

I had not looked at the sprint plans to see the 1:00 + runs. I'll have to look at those closer tonight or tomorrow and figure out which level I like. Thanks for helping to narrow it down. My initial inclination was to train for an olympic. So my presumtion (without having seen any of the sprint plans), is I'll be doing some more speed work vs distance. The spin classes are exactly that!

Glad the T-Rex website could give you some more entertainment!
2010-03-23 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2741972

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Nope. No "float" on Look pedals. I was tempted by Speedplay pedals a few years ago just to experience the wonders of float, but then got to thinking that my knees respond well to Look, so why change. HOWEVER, I am in the same cleat/pedal combination as in 2001, and god knows I need new cleats --- and by cleats I mean the whole thing, shoes included. One shoe is minus its thin fabric covering over the sockliner, and both are quite beaten up. Moreover, I do 99% of my riding sockless..........so the shoe are maybe tending towards the raunchy. (You think?)

Great tech info you are providing!

Which Fitz level are you considering? I'm thinking 3 or 4, based on what I think you've said about available training time.If so, both levels would work as you aim for Hawk Island, and then you'd have two weeks to kick the run over the top in prep for Welland. I will give more details about my thinking on this later, but much of it comes from looking at the Welland results from last year. It's all highly doable!!

2010-03-23 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2741394

User image

Champion

MANDY -

May I tempt you?

Go to www.racevermont.com, and you'll see the Vermont Triathlon, an oly, on Sept 12. This will be its trial run, I guess, before it becomes the course for the age group nationals in 2011 and 2012, I think it is.

The RD, Rayne Herzog, put on a fabulous race out of Shelburne, VT, several years ago, and I'm glad to see him back in the biz again -- and USAT-sanctioned, too.

Anyhow, i signed up; you should, as well!

2010-03-23 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2740527

User image

Champion

MARK -

Good observations on the TI core/hip/kick continuum. For the life of me, though, I can't figure out the "beat" pattern of my kicking. I've never had anyone teach me, and in various clinics I have attended I've never thought to ask about it. I would describe my kick pattern as, um..........syncopated? Randomly syncopated? Chaotically syncopated? Anyhow, less than ideal.

Another of my swim flaws is that I tend to inadvertently get lazy about engaging the core and hips as much as I should. I have referred to louis Tharp here before and promised that I would put up a few of his out-of-the-box thoughts ----- and thus far have posted one of them. There is another great one that hits on the topic of core and hips, and I will TRY to get that up asap! (And I think I'll do it as a quiz; my money says you'll get the answer right!)

2010-03-23 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2740420

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Whoa! Lots to comment on!

The analogy between IM and the Jayhawks is unique, and useful. You're right -- gotta stay focused and do the work. (Of course, that's easy for you, as you've been doing it all along! )

You are one of the smart/lucky ones to have had two trips to the SG bike course. It sounds both difficult and technical, and I can see a ton of people getting destroyed by it. I will quickly add that I do NOT see you as one of them, simply by virtue of training in difficult stuff and having made the two recon trips. Really, I see piles of very slow times for IMSG, as people will blow themselves up on the bike and/or get demoralized in the process. And once they are cooked on that bike, the not-so-easy-itself run will do them in for good. Yikes. How many people on the BT site for IMSG have commented about this sort of thing?

Pacing is important for any IM, but maybe even more so for SG; as you say, pacing is still king. And in your subsequent further comments about that, it sounds as if you have a really good plan of attack. Nicely done on the cerebral stuff! Many people would do the rides and be content with the miles in the saddle, on the course, but you've taken it that several steps further and have come up with a judicious plan. Kudos!

As for feeling the seal more, well that's probably true given that it's the end of the winter and all. Another possibility is tire pressure; might that have been a bit low? That might also explain why it seemed to be more difficult this time than last.

And I'm sure you were favoring the leg, even when you thought you weren't. Some of the hammy things I have experienced have been almost insidious in causing weaknesses without the obvious pain; yours might be doing the same. How low is your problem area, anyhow? When you see near the knee, that's pretty low for hamstring, I think. And while on the topic of low, how high up does it go?

Yes, Jason is a good friend!!!

2010-03-23 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2742000

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 8:03 AM SHAUN - Nope. No "float" on Look pedals. I was tempted by Speedplay pedals a few years ago just to experience the wonders of float, but then got to thinking that my knees respond well to Look, so why change. 

Hi STEVE,

I switched to Speedplay after my first season of tris and love them.   I found the others a pain in the butt trying to flip them over to clip in plus I liked the degree of float they provide.   Alot of people said they would be hard to get used to but I loved them from the first minute and there was literally no adjustment period.     

What I really need now is some new shoes.   Not that they are worn but the 2 velcro straps get stuck together SO much when I jump on my bike with the pressure of my feet, that I have to use so much force to try and wiggle my foot into the shoe that the shoe sometimes comes off the pedal.    Previously I was not that flexible (and I have really short arms) , to be able to bend down and open up the shoes.    Maybe the yoga has helped my flexibility and I might be able to do it this year.    My shoes are the Specialized triathlon shoes.    

Any recommendations on some I might look at?  
2010-03-23 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2742002

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 8:08 AM MANDY - May I tempt you? Go to www.racevermont.com, and you'll see the Vermont Triathlon, an oly, on Sept 12. This will be its trial run, I guess, before it becomes the course for the age group nationals in 2011 and 2012, I think it is. The RD, Rayne Herzog, put on a fabulous race out of Shelburne, VT, several years ago, and I'm glad to see him back in the biz again -- and USAT-sanctioned, too. Anyhow, i signed up; you should, as well!

STEVE,

This is the 2nd time I've seen you mention Vermont.   I think you said you signed up for one in Burlington.   I haven't travalled much in the States but I have been to Burlington and Shelburne and loved it there.    Sounds like I should be adding these two to our list of tris for when Ken retires????

2010-03-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2738201

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-21 8:57 AM ANNE - Cold down your way? I'm glad I managed to ride outside Tu, Th, and Fr, cuz yesterday was an uh-uh and today will be the same. We've been spoiled recently, haven't we? Sorry to hear about the knee, and I don't have any real concrete thoughts. When you say just above and just below on the inside of the right knee -- is it AWAY from the actual knee itself, or are you saying that it is right in the middle of the knee, but on that medial side? And when you mention the adductor, are you feeling that kind of high up, approaching the groin? If the answer to the last one is yes, then I'd almost think that there are two things going on with you -- something in the knee and a different something in the adductor. Maybe in favoring the knee you compromised the adductor somehow? Or an enthusiastic yoga move -- could that have twanged the adductor? My only middle-of-the-inside-of-a-knee problem was my torn meniscus in '06 ---- but if you have that, you would know it! Anyhow, try again to zero in a bit more on the knee location, okay? Got your keys back yet?

BOY, it's tough when you miss a few days of the forum.   I start reading backwards, then jump around, and miss way too much.

It is cooler down here, darn!    Had to go back to the trainer on Saturday.   However, they are saying 12* for Wed and 8* for Thursday so may try outside. 

Re the knee, it is not actually at the knee; the weakness I feel IS in the knee when I climb stairs, but the pulling/tightness is above it a bit on the inside and yes, the other spot is closer to the groin.   And I may very well have done something at yoga, but not sure.   However, I do have some changes (positive) to report as of Sunday.   I meant to copy and paste the comments from my blog, here, but forgot, so maybe you could take a quick look.  

And I am being VERY cautious closing my trunk these days.  
2010-03-23 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2742106

User image

Champion

STEVE again -

On to Showdown!

I finally got myself to the website......but didn't learn as much as I wanted to. I couldn't get the bike profile to come up, although the run profile was there in all of its quasi-voluptuousness ! And I couldn't really get a grasp on how far transition is from everything else, although the best I can determine is that it is all quite tight; that is, no long runs from here to there and back again.

Although there was no bike profile, the course looks gorgeous -- 26.3 miles out on Northshore Road, then back again. But how much of it is climbing?? I suspect a fair bit......but you must be used to that by now.

Giving it a try is porbably worthwhile, especially if you don't run thsi week and also feel that the leg is much better by the weekend. The swim there should really help you with confidence and strategy leading into SG, and I guess the bike will serve the same function. With the run being two loops, that's a good thing if after 6.55 miles the leg feels lousy and you've got to pack it in. And you can also do what lots of people do for pre-IM half-irons --- finish the swim and bike and call it a day!

Getting back to your leg, I'm going to dig around in my anatomy and injury books and see if there is any other possibility besides hamstring.....but quickly looking at one right now, I see the semitendinosus and the long head of the biceps femoris extending down that far, so......

Rest! Ice! Elevate! Rah-rah-rah!!

2010-03-23 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2742112

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Ahhh, lead me not into temptation about the pedals and shoes!

One of the reasons I have stuck with my shoes is that they are just one strap. They are old Carnac shoes, and have certainly served me well, but I don't know if Carnac still makes one-strappers --- or, for that matter, who does. Whenever tri magazines come out with a feature on cycling shoes, I am suprised that so many models are two-strapped. I just wouldn't want to hassle with working a second strap on each, and for the reason you mention!

Newer models, however, seem to have the straps affixed to the outside and attaching on the inside, and that makes some sense. At the very least, it would eliminate the problems I sometimes have where the right strap flaps around against the chain and rings, and I worry that it will get jammed in there. With straps that stick onto velcro on the medial side of the shoe, it means that when they are not attaced, the loose part is out beyond harm's way.

Let's each do a bike-shoe-search and compare notes!

2010-03-23 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2742124

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

See? That's the problem with my ever-flowing schedule --- I'm never sure what I've mentioned, and when!

Vermont, Vermont.....

There used to be a very cool little race north of White River Junction in a town anmed Fairlee. The name of the race was (get ready to roll your eyes) Fairlee Great Triathlon, but that died a few years ago. Another that sort of died was Great Keewaydin, and I say sort of because it was on the same general location as the other races in the Vermont Sun series. That series has now changed its name to Rushton Sports, with the website www.rushtonsports.com. I did F.G. in '01 and G.K. in '03.

The race out of Shelburne was the Greater Burlington Triathlon, which I did in '03. I loved it, but I guess not enough people felt the same and so it got jettisoned. I smaller tri took its place, and that one wasn't USAT-sanctioned. However, in learning about the new Burlington triathlon, i see that he, Rayne Herzog, is putting on a half-iron in mid-June at the location of the former Greater Burlington one; that is, out of Shelburne Beach --- and including a bike climb up notorious Irish Hill. That one will also be USAT-sanctioned, but seeing as how it is in the middle of the Ottawa Fringe Festival (which I love!!!!!!!!), I don't think i will consider it.

Two I'm looking at for this year are Rushton Sports ones -- Lake Dunmore (oly) on Aug 8, and Half Vermont Journey (HIM) on Aug 29. I would be more inclined to do Half vermont Journey if the name wasn't so new-agey; they really need a better name, I think! If I do that one I will have to think seriously about also doing Lake Dunmore, as there is much overlap between the two races and L.D. would be a good warm-up for H.V.J.

Finally, last year Piranha-Sports, which operates mostly out of Maryland and Delaware, tried to run one (two distances,same day) out of Killington. They adevertised it and got to the point of RECRUITING people to race for free (you had to apply and list your credentials which they then used to advertise who was coming. I was given a spot, but couldn't do it due to my separated shoulder at the time.), and had a very porr turnout. It was on their schedule throughout the fall and winter, but when I checked a couple of weeks ago, it was gone. Kaput. Maybe I ought to check back again and see if they have configured it somehow.

Kind of a checkered history, huh? Not too many options in VT, and I feel demises along the way. Loads of good road races (running), however!

2010-03-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2742124

User image

Champion

ANNE once more -

Have I mentiones www.score-this.com? They are in western NY, and have a series of five multisport races. Two would be pretty easy for you to get to, those being Summer Sizzler and A Tri in the Buff. Look at how Summer Sizzler is et up, especially the Formula 1 option. Could be a hoot!

This group seems to work hard, and their races are quite inexpensive. They have a strong commitment to "green" and they also offer clinics the day before. The one at Keuka Lake has four clinics, and also the option to stay in the college dorm the night before, at $38. That sounds reasonable to me!!

And I just saw your post about the comments on your blog, so i will go there shortly!

2010-03-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2741617

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Way to grab the bull by the horns! Escape the Cape, here you come!!

2010-03-23 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2740114

User image

Champion

MANDY -

That IS a good story about your and your friend and the fact that she was chasing you this time. However, it's a caution for me, as she and I must have the same coach -- all I've done inside this winter is watch movie and spend time in the saddle. Well, I've added a few things to the sessions, but i have yet to do a Spinervals or anything on my poor, unloved CompuTrainer. Maybe I shouldn't be complacent!

2010-03-23 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2739830

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Jason and Will -- that's them! I had missed the fact that it was a two-hour session, but if anyone could make two hours fly, it would be them.

I love the race belt for several reasons. One is that I put it on under my wetsuit and don't have to think about it again. Except for....

I dislike having a number flapping at my front, so on the bike I just turn the belt backwards and it doesn't bother me a bit. On the run I will usually keep it facing back until the finish, at which point I will turn it to the front so the photo of me can be more readily identified!

Okay, here's a piece of (slightly rude?) advice I got about kicking at the Swim Smooth session I took a few years ago. Paul (aka, Mr. Smooth) told me to clench my buttocks as if I were trying to hold a golf ball in place back there. And, truth told, when I force myself to remember and emp,oy that technique, it actually helps in the sense that I don't feel the same sort of fatigue. It is certainly engaging different muscles, but somehow it works to affect a stronger kick that is almost forced to come from "higher" -- some might say thre hips, but to me it emanates from the buttocks themselves.

Uh, just a thought for you to try? (And I apologize if you would've been happier going through life without that information!)

2010-03-23 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2742311

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 9:47 AM MANDY - That IS a good story about your and your friend and the fact that she was chasing you this time. However, it's a caution for me, as she and I must have the same coach -- all I've done inside this winter is watch movie and spend time in the saddle. Well, I've added a few things to the sessions, but i have yet to do a Spinervals or anything on my poor, unloved CompuTrainer. Maybe I shouldn't be complacent!

I know what you are saying!   Mandy has put the fire under me.    I am just about to put a Spinvervals DVD on - first one in 2 years.  Yikes!    Laughing
2010-03-23 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2742363

User image

Champion

GANG!

For those of you who think we move fast here -- it's because we do! As proof....

Last year's group was very prolific, beginning on January 9 and hitting page 122 on June 2 -- 144 days. GrooveTime! started on Dec. 15 and has hit page 122 right now, March 23 -- 98 days. Sweet Mother of Mercy!

It wasn't all that long ago that we weren't too far ahead of "Come play...", and as of now they are 700+ behind us.

You all are absolutely terrific, pushing a ferocious place and showing enthusiasm, commitment, and supportiveness in spades. Wowzers!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-03-23 9:13 AM

2010-03-23 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2742396

User image

Champion

pant,pant,pant,pant,pant........

2010-03-23 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2742404

User image

Champion

KASIA -

What Mandy says!

And to that I will add.....

For me, I spent too long aiming for low stroke counts. The deisred effect was achieved, but what it did was instill "leisurely" into my muscle memory. The glide thing is very good, but it has to be done as Mandy succintly states it in order to combine efficiency and speed.

My best (that is, fastest) swimming comes when I increase my stroke count -- not off the charts, but say from 18/19 to 21/22. This is where a Tempo Trainer (see Mark and Tracey, page 120) is very useful, enabling one to dial into what tempo/pace works best fro them.

2010-03-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2742002

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 8:08 AM MANDY - May I tempt you? Go to www.racevermont.com, and you'll see the Vermont Triathlon, an oly, on Sept 12. This will be its trial run, I guess, before it becomes the course for the age group nationals in 2011 and 2012, I think it is. The RD, Rayne Herzog, put on a fabulous race out of Shelburne, VT, several years ago, and I'm glad to see him back in the biz again -- and USAT-sanctioned, too. Anyhow, i signed up; you should, as well!

Tempted! BUT I am planning a 4 day backcountry hike in Baxter State Park that weekend - I think you said you were familiar with the park -  So I am telling you my plan...Starting at Roaring Brook Campground, to Russell Pond (~8 miles), to Davis Pond (~8 miles), up and around the entire ridge line of Katahdin, across Knife's edge, down to Chimney Pond (~8-9 miles), then back out to Roaring Brook (~4miles).  Then homeward bound.  If the dates were different, I would sign up!
2010-03-23 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2742311

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 9:47 AM MANDY - That IS a good story about your and your friend and the fact that she was chasing you this time. However, it's a caution for me, as she and I must have the same coach -- all I've done inside this winter is watch movie and spend time in the saddle. Well, I've added a few things to the sessions, but i have yet to do a Spinervals or anything on my poor, unloved CompuTrainer. Maybe I shouldn't be complacent!

LOL - I don't know, it was a good feeling though. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276