BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2742363

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
latestarter - 2010-03-23 10:02 AM
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 9:47 AM MANDY - That IS a good story about your and your friend and the fact that she was chasing you this time. However, it's a caution for me, as she and I must have the same coach -- all I've done inside this winter is watch movie and spend time in the saddle. Well, I've added a few things to the sessions, but i have yet to do a Spinervals or anything on my poor, unloved CompuTrainer. Maybe I shouldn't be complacent!

I know what you are saying!   Mandy has put the fire under me.    I am just about to put a Spinvervals DVD on - first one in 2 years.  Yikes!    Laughing

YEAH! Have fun!  The videos are tough, but I always feel great afterwords.  When I first started I couldn't finish the sets half the time...

2010-03-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2742350

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - Okay, here's a piece of (slightly rude?) advice I got about kicking at the Swim Smooth session I took a few years ago. Paul (aka, Mr. Smooth) told me to clench my buttocks as if I were trying to hold a golf ball in place back there. And, truth told, when I force myself to remember and emp,oy that technique, it actually helps in the sense that I don't feel the same sort of fatigue. It is certainly engaging different muscles, but somehow it works to affect a stronger kick that is almost forced to come from "higher" -- some might say thre hips, but to me it emanates from the buttocks themselves. Uh, just a thought for you to try? (And I apologize if you would've been happier going through life without that information!)

LOL I can't wait to try it! 
2010-03-23 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - Okay, here's a piece of (slightly rude?) advice I got about kicking at the Swim Smooth session I took a few years ago. Paul (aka, Mr. Smooth) told me to clench my buttocks as if I were trying to hold a golf ball in place back there. And, truth told, when I force myself to remember and emp,oy that technique, it actually helps in the sense that I don't feel the same sort of fatigue. It is certainly engaging different muscles, but somehow it works to affect a stronger kick that is almost forced to come from "higher" -- some might say thre hips, but to me it emanates from the buttocks themselves. Uh, just a thought for you to try? (And I apologize if you would've been happier going through life without that information!)

LOL I can't wait to try it! 
2010-03-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2741193

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

Your comments about the possible sprint are very interesting in light of what Tracey was going through this weekend. For the background there, she had signed up for Timberman sprint (Aug 21) as her first, but then talked to someone at the expo this past weekend who suggested that it might be a bit too big for a first race. Tracely related to this line of reasoning, and has just signed up for a new first tri - June 6, small, very close to home.

So for Tracey, she liked the idea of small, but for you, you're comfortable in getting "lost in the crowd of larger events". Of course, both answers are right, depending on the person. I just find it interesting that in short order the two of you have exhibited different mindsets to the same basic problem!

You're right that you can do a brick and have some of the desired effect, but I sledom find bricks to be close to what I am really aiming for. But I bring a lot of competitiveness to my racing, and I guess I need the others around me to push me and "keep me honest". For you at this stage of things, you're not looking to be highly competitive, you're just hoping to get a feel for what it's like to ride hard and then go out on a fiarly fast run, as well as to test your fitness. For most people, they will not have a sprint RIGHT THERE, like its manna from heaven or something, so they will have to do a brick that weekend.

The advantage of doing that sprint is that it will give you big insights into how these things work - especially the transitions. Beyond that there are the aspects of nutrition and getting a feel for doing stuff in a crowd -- and I don't mean that in the sense of "crowded". In fact, 400 for a sprint is still on the small-medium side of things -- not small like 150-200, but not in the 800-1200 range.

Those Colorado triathletes you refer to? All of them at one time were wannabe Colorado triathletes, and that's one thing you always have to keep at the forefront of your mind. Some of them have many years and many races behind them, and others may also be incredibly gifted, so you can't put your focus on them -- certainly not in terms of embarrassment or disappointment. Intimidation is maybe a different matter, but remember that intimidation is a two-way street. And seeing as how their goal is not to intimidate you, try not to allow yourself to feel intimidated.

I haven't been to the website yet, but I will get there later. I am not a big fan of looped bike courses, but many people love them -- at the very least, it means that if someone gets a flat, they don't have far to go to get back to the transition zone! But beyond that, loop-lovers love that they can feel their way on the first loop, apply some of those lessons on the second loop, and push the limits on the third loop.

In fact, last year I did an oly, with a four-loop bike, the day after Timberman sprint. I thought about doing the sprint instead of the oly as I was tired from T-man (the long drive didn't help), but went ahead with the oly. And was I glad I did! It unfolded for me just about how I explained it above. One part of the loop was quite technical, and it took me two loops to figure out where they curves were and how to run the angles on them. The third loop I felt confident and competent, the fourth loop I really flew. Had I only done the two-loop sprint......I wouldn't've figured out that technical part of each loop!

Let's keep talking about the May 23 race, okay? How close is it to filling? That might be a factor, as it has to be one of the earlier races of the Colorado season, right?

I will go to the website now and see what i can see.

2010-03-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2742644

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Seeing as how you posted it twice......you must REALLY want to try it!

See? That's one of things you get from having me as a Full Service Mentor -- the kind of stuff your mother never wanted you to know about!

2010-03-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2742573

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

That sounds like the Katahdin Klassic Klimb!

2010-03-23 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2742669

User image

Champion

Mandy once more -

I think I'll "book" all of Katahdin for that weekend, so you'll have to do it a different weekend and can do Burligton instead.

Seriously, that's probbably the perfect weekend. Kids back at school, no bugs, and still fairly clement weather. Nice!!

2010-03-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2742660

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 11:35 AM MANDY - Seeing as how you posted it twice......you must REALLY want to try it! See? That's one of things you get from having me as a Full Service Mentor -- the kind of stuff your mother never wanted you to know about!

LOL!! I didn't mean to post it twice, that is so funny!  Laughing

I would do that VT Tri if I didn't plan this hike though, really.  I think I am doing most of it solo too, should be cool.   Some friends might meet me on top of Baxter peak and stay with me at Chimney.  Maybe. 

I am doing Lobsterman the next weekend (I think, unless my dates are screwed up.)

Oh, and check this LINK out, there is definitely something wrong with me Wink

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-03-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2742554

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 11:02 AM KASIA - What Mandy says! And to that I will add..... For me, I spent too long aiming for low stroke counts. The deisred effect was achieved, but what it did was instill "leisurely" into my muscle memory. The glide thing is very good, but it has to be done as Mandy succintly states it in order to combine efficiency and speed. My best (that is, fastest) swimming comes when I increase my stroke count -- not off the charts, but say from 18/19 to 21/22. This is where a Tempo Trainer (see Mark and Tracey, page 120) is very useful, enabling one to dial into what tempo/pace works best fro them.

X2

I actually did get to the point where there was too much of a break between strokes - beautiful glide though.    I too swim fastest when I increase my stroke count from 21/22 to 23/24.  

I don't remember if it was KASIA who posted that they had a 31/32 stroke count.    That is exactly what I had when I first started swimming and it was in a 20 meter pool.    It DOES improve.  
2010-03-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2742651

User image

Champion

KASIA once more -

Hmmm.....

Price is right, and the big thrill is that the bike course will be completely closed to traffic! That's nifty when it happens -- which is rare.

All in all, it's a very "tight" package, nicely confined to a small area -- great for the race people, logistcially easy for the athletes.

??

2010-03-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2741394

User image

manfarr1974 - 2010-03-22 3:58 PM
augeremt - 2010-03-22 4:50 PM Steve,

I downloaded the PDF for TI off their website and have been looking over it. I'm somewhat familiar with the glide concept, but more so for the breaststroke and resting backstroke, so I'll try that for my freestyle and see how it goes. Doesn't it slow you down, though? As in, takes longer to complete a length?

Steve B might be able to say more on this - At first, it may slow you down - but you become more efficient, less tired, and eventually, faster.  So yes and no. Ha.

As far as gliding, there shouldn't be a "stop" to your stroke when you glide...so you don't ride it out, no dead spots.  So you don't stroke, GLIIIDDE, Stoke, GLIIDE...but you become more fish like...check out this animation - I want to swim like this guy:
http://www.swimsmooth.com/

Hope it helps...

Mandy

I agree with Mandy.  It's more of a musical rhythm - knowing when the next stroke comes into the picture.  Not too soon (windmill effect) and not too late (dead spots).  For me, its a perpetual motion, arms are always in motion, but each stroke lets the other finish before it begins. 

Agreeing that in the real stroke, you never stop, I sometimes will do a few strokes and then in the reach of the next stroke, just leave the arm in front of me and literally glide to a stop just to see how far I can move without the next stroke.  I do this JUST to get a mental picture and physical feeling of the glide.  I find that as I swim further, my strokes tends to pile up on one another and I get a windmill effect going.  Typically because as I get tired, my stroke breaks down, I get less propulsion from it, and then that dreaded "sinking" feeling.  My natural tendency is to do more and faster strokes to try to compensate, and when that happens, I refocus for a few strokes, get a series of good reach, catch, pull and then I glide.  Calms me down, assures the logical brain that faster strokes are not better strokes, and then get back to it.

2010-03-23 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2741363

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA

Thanks Mark.

We didn't do any 2-beat kicks. Not sure what that is - I'll have to google it.

Tracey

Tracey
There is a section on this in the DVD you have. Here is the TI youtube link, it may be in here as well: http://www.youtube.com/user/tiswim.

Mandy
Great job kicking butt on the bike. That would be a sweeeeet feeling.
Mark
2010-03-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2741394

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
manfarr1974 - 2010-03-22 5:58 PM

augeremt - 2010-03-22 4:50 PM Steve,

I downloaded the PDF for TI off their website and have been looking over it. I'm somewhat familiar with the glide concept, but more so for the breaststroke and resting backstroke, so I'll try that for my freestyle and see how it goes. Doesn't it slow you down, though? As in, takes longer to complete a length?

Steve B might be able to say more on this - At first, it may slow you down - but you become more efficient, less tired, and eventually, faster.  So yes and no. Ha.

As far as gliding, there shouldn't be a "stop" to your stroke when you glide...so you don't ride it out, no dead spots.  So you don't stroke, GLIIIDDE, Stoke, GLIIDE...but you become more fish like...check out this animation - I want to swim like this guy:
http://www.swimsmooth.com/

Hope it helps...

Mandy

I had an experience today that I think puts "glide" into perspective. Glide is, essentially, distance per stroke (dps), how far you move forward with each arm stroke. The key is to maximize dps. TI argues that reducing drag via proper form allows you to maximize dps, and with less effort.

Two weeks ago when I was swimming a set of base intervals (6X100s @ moderate pace) I used a tempo trainer (TT) to set my stroke rate. On that day I set a stroke rate of 1.10 seconds with the TT, which resulted in a times of 1:38/1:39 per 100 yds. Today I had the same base interval set and decided to push myself a little and set my TT at 1.07. My times today were 1:43/1:44 per 100 yds. So, instead of a faster stroke rate resulting in a faster time, it resulted in the opposite. This must be because my dps suffered as my stroke rate went up - even though my arms were moving faster I was not going as far on each stroke. I now know that I can't jump up that quickly and maintain good form = efficiency/glide/dps.
Mark
2010-03-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2742106

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-23 5:43 AM STEVE - Whoa! Lots to comment on! The analogy between IM and the Jayhawks is unique, and useful. You're right -- gotta stay focused and do the work. (Of course, that's easy for you, as you've been doing it all along! ) You are one of the smart/lucky ones to have had two trips to the SG bike course. It sounds both difficult and technical, and I can see a ton of people getting destroyed by it. I will quickly add that I do NOT see you as one of them, simply by virtue of training in difficult stuff and having made the two recon trips. Really, I see piles of very slow times for IMSG, as people will blow themselves up on the bike and/or get demoralized in the process. And once they are cooked on that bike, the not-so-easy-itself run will do them in for good. Yikes. How many people on the BT site for IMSG have commented about this sort of thing? Pacing is important for any IM, but maybe even more so for SG; as you say, pacing is still king. And in your subsequent further comments about that, it sounds as if you have a really good plan of attack. Nicely done on the cerebral stuff! Many people would do the rides and be content with the miles in the saddle, on the course, but you've taken it that several steps further and have come up with a judicious plan. Kudos! As for feeling the seal more, well that's probably true given that it's the end of the winter and all. Another possibility is tire pressure; might that have been a bit low? That might also explain why it seemed to be more difficult this time than last. And I'm sure you were favoring the leg, even when you thought you weren't. Some of the hammy things I have experienced have been almost insidious in causing weaknesses without the obvious pain; yours might be doing the same. How low is your problem area, anyhow? When you see near the knee, that's pretty low for hamstring, I think. And while on the topic of low, how high up does it go? Yes, Jason is a good friend!!!

Hey STEVE B,

Yep, all good points.  Tire pressure was (should have been) the same (120psi) - I'm pretty religious about it.  Could be weather related, could have just been general fatigue, hard to tell.  But, it is what it is as far as road conditions.  I still have this fantasy that we show up and they've covered the worst of it with a fresh coat of asphalt!  (Aside:  One section of road that was REALLY bad last time was actually redone, so hope springs eternal.)

As for the hammy - it's really hammy/joint at this point.  The strain/pull is clearly on the lower portion of the muscle, where it goes into the back of the knee.  If you are sitting down and feel that muscle, where it goes from all muscle into tendon/ligaments - that's where the pain is, as well as in the ligaments themselves.  It's more centralized in the back of the knee, more so than the sides - though they are a bit tender at times as well.  Anyway, where it goes from muscle to tendons/ligaments - that's where it hurts, and more so on the inner part of the leg than the outside.

Anyway, it's tender.  LOL.

Bagged the spin this morning - when I work up, it was very stiff and hurt to walk, so I'm going to get a massage after work, keep putting cold on it every couple of hours and Advil.  I may end up doing a SERIOUS taper this week.  LOL.  I'd say I'm 50/50 for this weekend as it is right now.  I am talking daily to my wife and Jason (who will be running the race) and will be relying on them to keep me focused on May 1st and not jeopardize that race for the ego of this one.
2010-03-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2742184

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-23 6:06 AM STEVE again - On to Showdown! I finally got myself to the website......but didn't learn as much as I wanted to. I couldn't get the bike profile to come up, although the run profile was there in all of its quasi-voluptuousness ! And I couldn't really get a grasp on how far transition is from everything else, although the best I can determine is that it is all quite tight; that is, no long runs from here to there and back again. Although there was no bike profile, the course looks gorgeous -- 26.3 miles out on Northshore Road, then back again. But how much of it is climbing?? I suspect a fair bit......but you must be used to that by now. Giving it a try is porbably worthwhile, especially if you don't run thsi week and also feel that the leg is much better by the weekend. The swim there should really help you with confidence and strategy leading into SG, and I guess the bike will serve the same function. With the run being two loops, that's a good thing if after 6.55 miles the leg feels lousy and you've got to pack it in. And you can also do what lots of people do for pre-IM half-irons --- finish the swim and bike and call it a day! Getting back to your leg, I'm going to dig around in my anatomy and injury books and see if there is any other possibility besides hamstring.....but quickly looking at one right now, I see the semitendinosus and the long head of the biceps femoris extending down that far, so...... Rest! Ice! Elevate! Rah-rah-rah!!

Yep and yep and yep!

Hammy first, as I'm looking up the ride course - yes, that's exactly where the pain is.  And most prominently where the muscle is attaching to the leg - and especially on the inside portion of the knee. 

Long course bike profile is here:  http://maps.onemillionrevolutions.org/profile.jsp?segmentID=10629.&... But it looks like it's malfunctioning.  Anyway, from what I can tell, there are a couple of decent climbs, but nothing too taxing. 

Until then...RICE
2010-03-23 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/03/features/the-100-best-triathlons-on-earth_7695

This is a fun article - tri mags best 100 tris by category

St George made one of most anticipated
Hy-Vee (were you doing that one Mark) one of most family friendly
Lonestar in Texas one of best festivals
Lobsterman one of best post-race parties

Denise

2010-03-23 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2743665

User image

LadyNorth - 2010-03-23 2:19 PM Hi

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/03/features/the-100-best-triathlons-on-earth_7695

Denise

I read this.  Made me want to do two more IM distance races (assuming I get out of this one alive and wanting to do one ever again!)

Silverman
Savageman

However, first things first.  Complete IMSG, then completely rework the gearing on the bike!  LOL.

My wife took a somewhat different approach: "If you want to kill yourself, can we do it in Spain?  How about Lanzarote?

I love my wife.
2010-03-23 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2743683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
SAquavia - 2010-03-23 4:27 PM
LadyNorth - 2010-03-23 2:19 PM Hi

Denise

I read this.  Made me want to do two more IM distance races (assuming I get out of this one alive and wanting to do one ever again!)

Silverman
Savageman

However, first things first.  Complete IMSG, then completely rework the gearing on the bike!  LOL.

My wife took a somewhat different approach: "If you want to kill yourself, can we do it in Spain?  How about Lanzarote?

I love my wife.

I think your wife's on the right track
2010-03-23 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2741957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
smarx - 2010-03-23 7:19 AM

TRACEY, Great re-cap of the Expo!! Sounds like it would be very interesting to go to. Is it a multi-day event?

Shaun:

Not a multi-day event, but I think it could have been! There were a couple of seminars/talks I would have liked to attend but just didn't have time to.

2010-03-23 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 9:59 AM

TRACEY again -

Jason and Will -- that's them! I had missed the fact that it was a two-hour session, but if anyone could make two hours fly, it would be them.

I love the race belt for several reasons. One is that I put it on under my wetsuit and don't have to think about it again. Except for....

I dislike having a number flapping at my front, so on the bike I just turn the belt backwards and it doesn't bother me a bit. On the run I will usually keep it facing back until the finish, at which point I will turn it to the front so the photo of me can be more readily identified!

Okay, here's a piece of (slightly rude?) advice I got about kicking at the Swim Smooth session I took a few years ago. Paul (aka, Mr. Smooth) told me to clench my buttocks as if I were trying to hold a golf ball in place back there. And, truth told, when I force myself to remember and emp,oy that technique, it actually helps in the sense that I don't feel the same sort of fatigue. It is certainly engaging different muscles, but somehow it works to affect a stronger kick that is almost forced to come from "higher" -- some might say thre hips, but to me it emanates from the buttocks themselves.

Uh, just a thought for you to try? (And I apologize if you would've been happier going through life without that information!)

Steve:

I'm up for any suggestions! I'll be at the pool tomorrow and will report back on the golf-ball-in-the-butt technique.

Tracey

2010-03-23 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2742573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-03-23 11:09 AM

stevebradley - 2010-03-23 8:08 AM MANDY - May I tempt you? Go to www.racevermont.com, and you'll see the Vermont Triathlon, an oly, on Sept 12. This will be its trial run, I guess, before it becomes the course for the age group nationals in 2011 and 2012, I think it is. The RD, Rayne Herzog, put on a fabulous race out of Shelburne, VT, several years ago, and I'm glad to see him back in the biz again -- and USAT-sanctioned, too. Anyhow, i signed up; you should, as well!

Tempted! BUT I am planning a 4 day backcountry hike in Baxter State Park that weekend - I think you said you were familiar with the park -  So I am telling you my plan...Starting at Roaring Brook Campground, to Russell Pond (~8 miles), to Davis Pond (~8 miles), up and around the entire ridge line of Katahdin, across Knife's edge, down to Chimney Pond (~8-9 miles), then back out to Roaring Brook (~4miles).  Then homeward bound.  If the dates were different, I would sign up!

Mandy:

That sounds like an awesome hike! Have you ever done any winter hikes in the White Mountains? My husband does them all the time and is trying to talk me into one for next year...

Tracey

2010-03-23 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2742748

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:23 PM
2010-03-23 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2742751

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:24 PM
2010-03-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2743665

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:25 PM
2010-03-24 5:57 AM
in reply to: #2742748

Master
Kitchener
manfarr1974 - 2010-03-23 11:52 AM
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 11:35 AM MANDY -
Oh, and check this LINK out, there is definitely something wrong with me Wink

Cheers,
Mandy

MANDY,

I don't know what to say!    I AM learning how much you LOVE a challenge.    I would do the trainer, BTW. 

You keep putting fires under me.       There was no way I was going to do a century ride on our bike trip in April, and now the wheels are turning.   Darn you!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276