General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think! and Be Safe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-04 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Think! and Be Safe
On the way to pick up my son at school this evening, I passed a biker going the other way.  No biggie, except it was 5:30pm on Monarch Blvd (hilly, 2-lane striped rural road & freeway alternative) in Castle Pines, and the guy was barely visible...black tights, dark jersey and helmet, black bike, no light, no reflectors or bright tape, and the road is poorly lit.
Fast forward to the return trip 10 minutes later.  He's out of the neighborhood near the top of the big hill, where there are no lights at all, pitch black.  His bike is on the side of the road, and he's sitting in the bike lane now.  I wouldn't have even stopped for the shape, had I not seen him going the other way.
We pull over, I wait for traffic to clear - speed limit is 45, people do more like 50-60 up there - and run back to where he's now getting to his feet and when I ask if he's OK, did he get hit or crash, he says "Oh I'm waiting for a ride to come get me".
Dude! Clue in, please!! The only worse place to stop would have been in the center of the road, honestly.

Please be extra careful this time of year. It gets dark earlier and faster,  there's lots of ice and debris on the shoulders, and people on cell phones driving fast tend to not see dark objects at dusk!
</climbing off soapbox>

2011-01-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3278054

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Think! and Be Safe
I know what you're saying.  Last night as I was walking to my car from my office some guy almost hit me as I walked through the parking lot.  I had some harsh words for him going through my head.  That is until I started driving off in my car and didn't see the guy walking through the parking lot until the last second.  It's hard to see people with dark colors.

I know some people like to wear dark colors when they run...if you do wear a vest.  Even if you are on a sidewalk it can still be dangerous!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think! and Be Safe Rss Feed