General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Saddle Angle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-10 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1896860

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Tri Saddle Angle

So we're arguing over what is "correct" when there is nothing at all natural about putting all of your bodyweight on a small area in your crotch region no matter what saddle we choose.

There's nothing "correct" about either one.  You use what works for you.

2009-01-10 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
FWIW, on my road bike my saddle is flat, on my tribike it tilts slightly down. There MIGHT be a fit issue on the tribike that I hope to rectify soon.
2009-01-10 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins

I work for John Cobb on saddle development (I'm one of his guinea pigs), and he never (in my experience) points the nose downward.  For most persons (including myself), he points it slightly up because the tendency under power is to slide forward on the saddle.  This produces a number of problems.  It alters your leg position so you don't utilize your muscles optimally.  It also places more strain on the upper arms, back, shoulders, etc., because in a forward position you're putting more weight in these areas.  (The original post mentioned sore triceps, so this illustrates the point.

In sum, by putting the nose slightly up, it keeps your weight where it should be:  on the ischial tuberosites and not on your soft tissues.  That said, work with the moving the saddle itself forward a bit so that in your optimal position your weight is not on the nose of the saddle.  

2009-01-10 10:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by nickcach 2009-01-10 10:22 AM
2009-01-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1899459

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

A wise man once said:

"it's not the angle of your saddle, it's the angle of your dangle"

2009-01-10 8:21 PM

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

I'm joining this thread late cause I just got my tri bike today and had no experience one way or the other ... but I also think I have a problem with my fit ... the saddle is very uncomfortable, and thought I could just continue this thread with all the great info already in it .. vs. starting a new thread.

I'm posting a pic at the end of this, so you can see the seat and bars ....

Here is my problem, I'm basically sitting on my nuts ... and it hurts.  I asked the LBS tech who was fitting me (he seems to know what he is doing, is a cyclist and the shop owner) to angle the front end down to relieve that pressure ... he adjusted it twice and told me it won't angle down any more than what it is.

He told me when riding upright I should sit right in the middle of the saddle, but when I go into aero that I should slide forward a little and should be sitting right on the tip of the seat.

When I sit on the tip it is painful just because I've go my weight on such a small part of the saddle ... and when I sit back toward the middle of the saddle my "junk" is right over the tip end of the saddle and, well, I'm sitting down of course and my body weight is squeezing the ever-loving sweetness out of my jewels.

So what is wrong?

Should I move the seat forward?  Adjust the aero bars?  Is the seat too high?

And, please teach this newbie ... what IS the correct way to sit on a tri saddle?  Should I always try to keep my weight in the middle of the saddle .. or do I move forwards and backwards depending if I'm in aero or not? 

Please help ... I really want to start putting in some miles ... but I find myself holding myself up off the saddle a bit because of the pressure and the acorns getting smashed (which kinda defeats the aero bars cause my hands and shoulders were going numb again ... cause I was supporting my weight too much I guess...)

Edited by klowman 2009-01-10 8:32 PM

(img460.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
img460.jpg (94KB - 34 downloads)

2009-01-11 1:07 PM

Veteran
Hawkins
I believe you started a separate thread about this concern, yes?  'Cause the guys gave you lots of advice on placement of "your boys" vis-a-vis the saddle.  They also said:  get a new saddle!  Go to your LBS and see if they have a demo program or a loaner.  If not I think triaports.com may have a demo saddle program, though if I recall their selection is pretty limited and does not include an Adamo.  I know the cost seems a lot, but when it comes to your saddle, you don't want to skimp.  I know John has a couple of new models (his web site will be up soon):  the V-Flow, the V-Flow Plus (which I now ride--used to ride Adamo), and in February, a new iteration of the Adamo, the MAXX.
2009-01-12 12:18 AM
in reply to: #1900772

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

kpar - 2009-01-11 2:07 PM I believe you started a separate thread about this concern, yes?  'Cause the guys gave you lots of advice on placement of "your boys" vis-a-vis the saddle.  They also said:  get a new saddle!  Go to your LBS and see if they have a demo program or a loaner.  If not I think triaports.com may have a demo saddle program, though if I recall their selection is pretty limited and does not include an Adamo.  I know the cost seems a lot, but when it comes to your saddle, you don't want to skimp.  I know John has a couple of new models (his web site will be up soon):  the V-Flow, the V-Flow Plus (which I now ride--used to ride Adamo), and in February, a new iteration of the Adamo, the MAXX.

Yes, thanks, I did start a new thread.  Didn't see much response to this one and figured everyone with good input had already visited this thread and would not be back for a re-visit ... so I don't know if it was the correct "protocol" or not ... but I re-posted my question into a new thread ... and did get some great answers ...

I may have been able to fix the problem ... I did indeed move the seat forward about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch ... lowered the angle of the aero bars a tad bit to compensate for moving the seat forward, and angled the seat to the right just a tad bit so that the "stuff" could kinda be to the left and something I'm calling the "taint" spot (picked up the term from here ...)  well used the rightside taint spot to actually sit on the seat ...

I think that is what I needed to do.

The LBS bike rep had told me that I would need to pull my junk up and high ... kinda like how a male ballet dancer does (and don't ask me how I know that ...) ... when really what I needed to do is kinda move it off to the side a tad bit.

Thanks for the followup!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Saddle Angle Rss Feed  

of 2