General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Pedals - Look vs Speedplay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 5:06 PM

Subject: Bike Pedals - Look vs Speedplay
I need a couple of opinions...I currently have Look Keo model on my tri bike and even after nearly three years and two different Look pedal systems, I have difficulty clipping in (i.e. pedals upside down, etc.). I am considering switching to Speedplay to make clipping in easier.

With that said, I have done two Ironmans and many other races and never had any problems physically (knees, achilles, etc.) from my Looks. Everytime I am about to make the switch, I talk to someone who blames an injury on his/her Speedplay pedal system.

Should I leave well enough alone?

2008-08-25 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1624280

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Bike Pedals - Look vs Speedplay

I ride Keo's currently and I sometimes have trouble clipping in but I prefer the larger platform of the Looks to the Speedplays.  I can feel the larger platform under my feet.  I used to ride Speedplays, but switched because I did not like the amount of float the Speedplays had.  I am used to having to hunt sometimes to clip in to my Looks, I never got used to the feeling that my feet were dancing on ice with the Speedplays.

However, if the Speedplay Zero's had been out when I bought my Looks, I probably would have purchased those and would not know what I know now about the Looks!

I don't think I will go back to Speedplays, since I just got my axles replaced on my Keo's and Look's customer service is great.

My opinion is to leave well enough alone if you are not having problems.  I like the look of that Adamo saddle, but I am not having any issues with my current saddle, so I am not changing.

2008-08-25 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran

TriPolish - take a look at my Speedplays thread..everyone gave me some really great feedback on the pros & cons of the product: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=127051&posts=32&start=1

I switched a carbon Look and the shape of the pedal is so different from my other pedals...major difference in clipping in/out...whilst on the bike.  I still have a hard time clipping in but I think that will come with practice. 

2008-08-26 5:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
I used to use speedplays, but moved on to Crank Brothers, Eggbeaters. Entry and exit is easy.

Kevin
2008-08-26 9:10 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I think that I am finally convinced to try the Speedplay.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Pedals - Look vs Speedplay Rss Feed