Track Shack/EMMI
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 29s
Overall Rank = 203/2694
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/127
Pre-race routine:

I think I am starting to finally figure out my pre-race nutrition. I can't eat anything solid before a short race like a 5k-10k. I had a bottle of GU2O on the drive to the race, one GU before I started my pre-race run, another GU 30 minutes later and a third about 15 minutes before the start. I had plenty of energy but didn't feel bloated, which is what normally happens if I eat something solid.
Event warmup:

I had a long run scheduled for today that I didn't want to skip. I was supposed to run 2 hours, with the first 90 minutes in zone 1-2, and the last 30 minutes faster. It took me a little while to get going this morning, so I was only able to get an hour in before the race (6.4 miles). The race started a 3-4 minutes late, which is very unusual. I've done 30-35 Track Shack races, and this is the first that hasn't been on time. I think a car managed to get on the course just as the race was going to start.
Run
  • 21m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best race. I didn't plan to try to set a PR because I was planning to run 90 minutes before the race. I had planned to start the race at around 7:30 pace and see if I could hold that to the end. But since I only ran an hour before the race and felt strong, I decided to push the pace and see what happened. I had never gone under 22 minutes so I decided to go for that. My first mile was 7:13, but I got caught up in some traffic which slowed me down a little. I was distracted a little by someone handing out donuts at the halfway point, but managed to keep my focus and hit the second mile in 14 flat (a 6:47 mile), which put me 10 seconds ahead of my goal. I did the last 1.1 miles at about 6:48 pace, and beat my previous PR by 48 seconds. There are a couple of short hills on this course that normally slow me down a little, but today I barely felt them. I was surprised at how strong I felt.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I think I raced as well as my current fitness level would allow. If I would have been a little more aware of what was going on around me during the first mile, I probably could have avoided being blocked in. I probably lost 5-10 seconds at the most. And I obviously wouldn't run an hour before a race where I was trying to set a PR, but this wasn't one of my goal races.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to my car and put on some warmer clothes and walked around for a little before going home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have only recently become more consistent with my training, but I still don't train that much. A big run week for me is only about 20 miles. I wonder what I could do if I increased to 30-40 miles and added in a little speed work?

Last updated: 2008-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:29 | 03.11 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/127
Overall: 203/2694
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:13 Mile 2: 6:47 Mile 3.1: 7:29 Avg HR: 180; Max HR 188
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good