General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raceday prep Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-07 7:06 PM

Subject: Raceday prep
I'm curious about a couple different things everyone goes though before their races. For instance, how long do you warm up before a race? Do you do everything for a few minutes? Do you just do a warm-up swim to get the muscles warm and forget the bike and ruin? Or do you do like I did on my first race, and not do anything for fear of losing ANY of the energy I needed to complete the race? How about food and water...How long before the start do you stop drinking and taking nutrients? How much beer can I drink after the race? Just spit balling here, but I could use some insight from the old pros...

2008-03-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1259859

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Raceday prep
For nutrition, it will depend on the race. For sprints, I'll try to get 500-600 calories between the time I wake up and the start. Most often that means a big whole grain bagel and then some Gatorade as I'm driving to the race site and getting ready. I don't worry about nutrition during the race at all. The longer the distance, the more calories I try to get in before hand. For IM's a lot of people, including me, will get up early, eat several hundred calories, and then try to go back to sleep for an hour or so before doing it again.

Beer? Drink as much as you want as long as you're not driving.

For warm up, that will also depend on the event. The shorter the event, the more warm up I tend to do, simply because my effort level is going to be that much higher. For sprints and Olys, I'll run for about 10 minutes with some strides to get warm. For sprints, I sometimes throw in a few intervals as well. After that, I'll stretch for a bit and try to stay loose. I always try to get in the water and swim, regardless of the distance. For me, the first several hundred meters always feel tough, so it's very important for me to swim 5 minutes or so before the race starts. I usually try to time that so I'm forced to get out of the water because of the athlete's meeting or the race is about to start. I don't want to stand around in the cool morning air while I'm wet any longer than I have to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raceday prep Rss Feed