General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » mom of 2 tri-ing! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-18 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Subject: mom of 2 tri-ing!

I've lost the preg weight and like my new self... but was recently laid off and when thinking about "what do I want to do with myself now?" my thoughts revisited  a tri - something I've thought about on/off for years but never committed too.  Interestingly, being a parent gives me a world of confidence in many other areas... so off i go!  no income for it, but maybe a job will come along too...

I have two tri's in mind... one is April 12 and I love it !  a 100 yd pool swim, 2.5 mile bike, 1.2 mile run.  hehe!  I guess it is a kickoff for the season for the experienced but I figure I'll do it to get a "cheap" feel.  The "real" tri is 6/21, a sprint at 400 yd lake swim, 13 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  I have an 11 week training program which I started yesterday; it is 14 weeks to 6/21 so I have some slip.

So given that I'll often train pushing the kids in a jogger stroller and pulling them in a bike trailer, how much "bonus" credit do I get on those workouts?! 

Swim is my weak part (and I'll not pull the kids in a boat, LOL).  I've never been a swimmer but if I need to float the 400 yds, I will!  I do have access to a short pool to start swimming now, so need to get up early to do so.

My bike is a mt bike for which I'll get road tires and make do... unless I can find someone to borrow from.  And Thursday I hope to shop for new running shoes.

I suffer from Rosacea so need to factor that into my workouts too, especially as it gets warmer.  we'll see how it goes. Need a good hat for running!

2008-03-18 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1279256

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
Subject: RE: mom of 2 tri-ing!
welcome and good luck
2008-03-18 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Hiya Momma!  I'm a mom too, my daughter is 7 and I started TRI-ing to FINALLY once and for all get rid of the mommy weight I put on.  I started training last May and did my first race in October, and the bug certainly bit me hard.  Now I've got 6 races on the books for this summer. 

I had a mt. bike for my first race too.  Did the trick, but I got nutty and saved my $$$ for oh, 6 months or so, and finally got myself a road bike for xmas.  I did see some decent bikes on Craigslist.org, but ended up getting a new one.

For swimming, do yourself the biggest favor in the world and see if your library has "Total Immersion".  It helped me greatly, so much so that I now feel like swimming is my strength.

Good luck, and keep in touch!

(Here's my Intro I posted just under a year ago...)

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76905&posts=6#M814322 

2008-03-18 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1279293

User image

Master

Thanks for the suggestion - my library has 3 versions of "total immersion" - I reserved the "freestyle" DVD since "laps" and "four strokes" don't really apply to a tri.  My hubby grew up in the pool so has, at times, tried to give me pointers, but I don't think the way he explains things so he's not a good teacher for me.  After lots of misunderstanding I pick up a little hint but the grief to get there is not worth the gain.  There is a lesson program at our pool so maybe I can hit up the coordinator (19year old young miss) to teach me a thing or two.

I was supposed to get on the bike today according to the training plan but didn't happen with the kid juggling.  I did walk about 2 miles pushing or pulling them (cart/wagon) so was not completely slothful.  Maybe I'll need to get a trainer for the bike to workout when they nap.

2008-03-18 11:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Hi there,

I am also a mom of two. I have a 4yo boy and a 2 1/2yo girl. I also do the jogger with the kiddos. I take them around a local lake. I swim and ride when they are in preschool. I have been lucky, I am a stay at home mom, so I get to train when I can. It is definitely hard to do, but you can do it. I have done three tri's. Two last year and one so far this year. I am slow, not a swimmer, biker or a runner, but I am a mom and a triathlete and a role model.

You can be too!

edited to add my mentor says I am the queen of nap time workouts!

Edited by abud7373 2008-03-18 11:50 PM
2008-03-19 12:11 AM
in reply to: #1279720

User image

Master

My kiddos are 3.25 and 1.25 and the older is in preschool only 6 hours a week. The younger mostly naps those hours so I can't swim.  I wonder though if maybe I could convince him of some stroller sit time while I swim, hmmm.  Not in his nature but it will be naptime so maybe possible to strap him poolside.  Could try it.

Wonderful to see other mamas making a training program work!  I've mapped my circuitous route to the park for tomorrow - I'll bike them 3.5 miles to the park that is 0.6 miles away.  AAAAaaaahhh shoot.  I can't go there - the bike and trailer won't fit through the park entry!  and no place to secure them either.   What's plan B?  sleep.  figure out with fresh brain...

2008-03-19 12:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I definitely understand trying to make things work. Once you figure it out, stick with it. I have a hard time following a "plan". I sort of do my own thing. I need to get on a plan, but first I had to make my time work for me. Now that I have a routine (sort of) I think I can look into following an actual training plan.

If you have any interest, check out my logs from the past few month. Really, I found a schedule that worked and stuck with it as much as possible. Good luck on your ride tomorrow.

2008-03-23 10:54 PM

User image

Master

OK, one week and no missed workouts yet (yes, mixed some around different days but week one is 100%!)!  I need to add strength training though.

I was able to use the 25y pool rather than the 10y pool.  That was a sweet bonus to my early morning swim one day.  benefit to being on the club's Board!   Only a couple more swims on the training log before the "big" pool opens for the season for all, yeah!

My 3yo is supportive - mama, are we going fast now?  no, once my timer goes off I'll run again.  mama are we going slow again? yes...  mama why are you running?  why why why.  so far it's lovely and not annoying  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » mom of 2 tri-ing! Rss Feed