General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fibromyalgia and Triathlons - Can anyone give advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-31 7:40 PM

Seattle, Ballard neighborhood
Subject: Fibromyalgia and Triathlons - Can anyone give advice?
I was diagnosed with Fibro several years ago and deal with chronic pain 24/7. Is there anyone else out there attempting a Tri with chronic pain? If so do you have any recommendations or advice. I'm afraid of over or underdoing it and haven't really encountered people in the same position as me. Can anyone help?

2008-03-31 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1306412

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Fibromyalgia and Triathlons - Can anyone give advice?

say78 - 2008-03-31 8:40 PM I was diagnosed with Fibro several years ago and deal with chronic pain 24/7. Is there anyone else out there attempting a Tri with chronic pain? If so do you have any recommendations or advice. I'm afraid of over or underdoing it and haven't really encountered people in the same position as me. Can anyone help?

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to BT.  There are quite a few people around here with chronic illnesses.  I'm not a fibro patient, but I do live with chronic pain and other nasty little inconveniences associated with my condition.

The answer to your question is a resounding YES!  Not only are there people attempting tris with chronic pain but there are people finishing them .

I'm not sure I can offer up specific advice for your situation without more information, but I can tell you what works for me... first of all, I accept my situation as perfect.  I can't change it and having a bad attitude or getting frustrated easily isn't going to solve anything.  Don't get me wrong... anyone that reads my blog knows I have my moments, but generally speaking, it is what it is and so I must work around it.  From there, I am forgiving.  I know what my body can handle when it's at it's best and I know the telltale signs that it's about to be at its worst.  I forgive myself the times when I have to modify my workouts.  I am less forgiving when I skip them altogether, but I sure try to cut myself some slack every once in awhile.

In terms of actual training specifics, I find that I am often the most motivated to train when I feel the worst.  I believe, subconsciously, it is my way of saying effoff to my body's "betrayal".  I think part of me also feels that if I can just get out of bed and swim, bike, or run, no matter how slowly, I can't really be that sick, right?!  I have heard this sentiment echoed around here quite a few times by others with chronic illnesses. 

During those times, I often need to modify how I train.  For example, instead of a straight swim I might opt to do shorter sets of alternate strokes or perhaps substitute drills.  Running modifications for me range from using a Woodway treadmill (designed specifically for patients who have had joint problems) to aquajogging with a bit of "slogging"/run:walk combination or elliptical training thrown in for good measure.  Fortunately, I've not had to make many modifications to my bike training, but from time to time I've needed to shorten a ride or have opted to use my trainer instead of ride outside if I'm feeling questionable.

Be sure to speak with your doctor(s) and get their input, particularly if you are new to exercise or have limited your exercise since your diagnosis.  Understand the side effects of your meds (especially if you take anything that causes a shift in fluid balance or an erratic heart rate) and listen to your body. 

Anyone who decides to train for and complete a triathlon has courage that many other people don't posess.  To do it when you live with chronic pain and the uncertainty of what each new day will bring healthwise takes a special kind of courage.  I commend you on your decision to tri.

Good luck.

Edited by mila 2008-03-31 8:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fibromyalgia and Triathlons - Can anyone give advice? Rss Feed