General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What aerobar and why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-28 9:46 AM

Subject: What aerobar and why?
I"m getting ready to launch my new aerobar, (www.aero-concepts.com) and I'm looking for some input.

What bar are you currently using?

Why did you choose that bar?

What would you like to change about the bar?

What is important to you in a 1 piece aerobar?

Does it matter if pros are using your aerobar?

Would a trade in offer from my company help you purchase a new aerobar?

I am not looking to sponsor professionals, only top age groupers, what would you look for in an athlete to determine his/her value?

If you think you would like to be sponsored, please send your resume to [email protected] - All resumes will be reviewed and even if a full sponsorship is not available, partial sponsorships will be provided.

Thanks for your help and pics and info will be up soon at www.aero-concepts.com. I have pics of the post and stem @ www.buytrigear.com

Steve H

2004-12-28 10:45 AM
in reply to: #96482

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: What aerobar and why?
Titanium aerobar? sounds interesting....but expensive. I'd be curious about it though.

I'm currently using syntace because it was on my bike when I got it and fits me.

I would like to change the vibration dampening properties of my bar, that's why your bar is interesting to me.

1 piece aerobar? does that include a stem? I will never buy an aerobar with an attached stem because you can't adjust the reach on your bike after spending $$$ on the bar. (just my $0.02)

pros use it? hmmmm.....no not really. if they use a bike...that matters to me, but not an aerobar.

a trade in? I saw your $50 trade in, but it depends on how much the bar is I suppose.

to sponsor top age groupers I would really look for the ones who are just starting to blossom because these are the people you can be along with for the "ride". For example, power bar founder (god bless his soul) first sponsored Cam Widoff back in 1993 when he first started in his pro career and power bar has been with him ever since. I would definately look for "near" the top age groupers now and get them aero bars.

good luck!
2004-12-28 11:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
Currently using Profile Design Split Second, recommended by coach. Could care less if pros use the bar. A trade in offer might help sway my decision in the purchase of a new aerobar, depending on what is done with the traded in bars. If they are donated to a worthy charity or used to help introduce kids to the sport of triathlon, it would definitely be a factor for me.

If I were looking to sponsor top age group athletes, I would look for athletes who are giving back to the sport of triathlon, not just taking from. Athletes who volunteer at races, who volunteer at novice clinics and youth clinics. Also, athletes who stick around for the awards ceremony, even at the smaller, local races. This is where potential customers will have a chance to chit-chat with sponsored athletes and to learn about your product. I would also consider sponsoring younger age group athletes, 14 & Unders and 15-19, as this is a very expensive sport, especially for kids whose bodies are still growing. Disclosure: I am the parent of a junior triathlete, so I may be a bit biased on this point!

2004-12-28 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I use the Profile Carbon Stryke. I like them because of all the adjustability...rotation, length, width, angle...you can fine-tune the position any way you like.
2004-12-28 1:23 PM

User image

HED. It was free and I like the hand position.
2004-12-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #96585

Free is always the best and Hed's bar is very nice. Good deal all around for you!

2004-12-29 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Actually, I am in the process of buying aerobars, so this is an interesting question.

I have been looking at the Profile Carbon Stryke clip on or the CBX Pro one piece.  I guess the main reason I'm looking at these bars is because of Profile's reputation.  But some other reasons include that the Syntace clip ons wont fit my base bar and I like the adjustability of the Carbon Stryke (I'm very short and I ride a 50cm Trek road frame).

I also agree with Steve on one piece aerobars with stems.  The main reason I was looking at the CBX Pro over the Carbon X was because it didn't have an in-built stem.  To me that leaves no room for adjustability and may make it difficult to change from one frame to another (ie. road frame and tri frame).

Does it matter if Pros are using the bar??  Not really.  I guess if they are using them I do pay attention.  But it definately isn't the biggest deciding factor.  To tell you the truth, being a marketing graduate, I think your money would be better spent getting LBS to stock and recommend your product by training them on it's advantages over other bars that are available.  I, as I think most people, would listen to their knowledgable LBS owner before choosing a bar just because Tim Deboom was using it.  In this market, LBS salespeople have a lot of power as customers, like me, often look to them for trusted advice.

I think trade-in offers would help.  Especially, as one person mentioned, those bars were put to good use.  Not only is it a good thing to do, from a business perspective, it's great PR.

Top age groupers??  As someone mentioned, people that stay around for award ceremonies and above all who are generally friendly and sociable.  No point having a sponsored athlete who turns up on race day, races, and then goes home.  Of course it's important that they perform well, but they also have to spread the word about your product.  There's no better time for that than post-race.

Hope this has been some help??  I can't wait to see the new bars.  I had a look at the web site but you haven't posted a picture yet.  Are they finished??  When will they be unveiled!?

Travis

2004-12-29 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
I use the Vision-Tech super max integrated aerobar. i chose it because i liked the design and the aerodynamics of it. I would like s-bends or straight extensions on it, and made of carbon fibre, I would also sponsor juniors, im 15 years old and its hard to put together money to but the right stuff.

Edited by gocorey 2004-12-29 9:30 PM
2004-12-30 12:20 AM

Regular
Norwalk, CA
What bar are you currently using?

Visiontech TriMax size size 350mm with visiontech brake levers

Why did you choose that bar?

It fit my body the best with my bike setup, and it looks great.

What would you like to change about the bar?

I would like the stem position to be a bit lower, or at least adjustable.

What is important to you in a 1 piece aerobar?

Fit, "aero-ness" (meaning smallest frontal area), and Price

Does it matter if pros are using your aerobar?

Yes, and no. I noticed in the Pro cycling scene that some of the pro's use a bar that is not from their sponsors, The bars would be let's say, a Vision, or a Hed bar with the labels are taken off. It is those antics that make me think about why they would go through all that trouble over a bar unless the bar is that good. Which is the case for the Vision and Hed bars.

Would a trade in offer from my company help you purchase a new aerobar?

That would depend on how much was offered and how much your bar would cost. (What would you do with all of those trade in bars anyway? Perhaps resell them on Ebay? Not that it is a bad thing, I am just curious.) I would only buy a bar I got to try on my own bike setup.

Hope this helps you in your quest to sell bars!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What aerobar and why? Rss Feed