Win Multisports
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 56s
Overall Rank = 13/51
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Honey Nut Cheerios first thing up at about 6:30. Granola bar on way to race. Gatorade Endurance to drink.
Event warmup:

A little biking, a little running, not much of either. Hardest part was figuring out what to wear. Not much over 40 at race start and not predicted to get much warmer. Sun was out, wind wasn't too bad.
Run
  • 21m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

A little faster than I anticipated but did not feel I over did it. Comfortable on run with tri shorts, tights, compression shirt, long sleeve running shirt, tri top and gloves.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Added a head band and cycling jacket in T1 for bike. Did not switch Garmin to bike mount. For tris this will not be an issue. Also used my Chaska chair in TA.

Had a little trouble getting going on the pedals. Then had some troubles getting feet into bike shoes. My gloves, white knitted gloves, hindered working with the bike shoes. I also added polypro liners under my weather socks so the fit was tighter. Not a good job with the shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 36s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

My Garmin showed the bike course at 19.53 miles which increases my speed to 18.4 which is still slower than I anticipated. Knowing I had a 10k left I did not want to push bike too hard since I'm not up to pace on running this much at a race pace.

Practice with bike shoes with socks, leave gloves off at beginning. For this one could have wore bike shoes and used grassy areas to run on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

With troubles out of T1 with bike shoes, I decided to just unclip. Worked fine and ran on grassy side in TA. Jacket & head band off, hat and race belt on. Grabbed a GU.
Run
  • 47m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were a little noodly coming off of bike but pace right away was around 7:30, so I was running OK. Ate a GU right away. A little discomfort on ball of right foot starting about 4.5 miles into to 2nd run leg. Good finish coming off 52 ramp into TA.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and bananas, stayed for awards. TriRochester was well represented in receiving awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was the first race of the year. Run distance was more than what would be optimum for me at this time of year with my training but short course was too short for me. Losing Feb to training hurt. Overall very pleased with running pace, I was thinking more like 7:15 for 5k and 7:45 for 10k so I was faster than I thought and kept the 10k within 30 sec or so of 5k pace. Only 2nd du so still learning the run/bike pacing. Disappointed in bike time, even the Garmin speed of 18.4 for the 19.53 mile distance. I wanted to be over 20.

I did not have auto lap turned on for my new replacement Garmin (it just came on Fri) so I did not get the 1 mile lap data as I would have liked. It was my first time using the Garmin during a du/tri. It will be helpful down the road to compare race data to workout data.

Event comments:

My Garmin showed the bike course at 19.53 which is longer than 30k. Overall bike times for the long course were slower than what I would expect. For a first year event, a big thumbs up for Bill Nevala and his team of volunteers.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:39 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 17/51
Performance: Good
158 avg, 168 max.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:10
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:03:36 | 18.64 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 14/51
Performance: Below average
149 avg, 161 max. Avg cadence 91
Wind: Little
Course: Seemed like a lot of turns and not many level areas. Should have had volunteers at some turns especially onto to 75th. I also think some of the long course people in front of me took the turn for the short course.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average