General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - hit a wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-30 7:07 AM

Subject: Help - hit a wall

Uh, figuratively, not literally.  I have been training pretty hard towards my first tri, which is a week from this Sunday.  I think I was doing pretty well, and last Saturday, bricked the actual race bike ride and actual race run, and felt pretty good afterwards.  Sunday was my rest day, though, and Monday I went to the gym, and felt like I couldn't move!  Total muscle fatigue.  I just couldn't get anywhere.  Tuesday was a strength training/swim day, and that was fine, but today again, back on the bike/run, I could put in barely half my usual distance.  What happened?  Did I overtrain (what is that, anyway?)  How do I get it back?  I wasn't planning on starting my taper until this weekend, but it seems that I am forced to start it early.  Will I still be able to do the race?  I keep my log on the site, I don't know if you all can see it, but if you can, you're welcome to take a look and let me know what you think.  I appreciate any help you can give me!

2008-04-30 7:10 AM
in reply to: #1371453

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Help - hit a wall
Sounds like you just need some recovery.  Take a day off or just stick to some light stuff.  Start your taper early.  No big deal.  Unwind, get re-collected then knock the wall down at your race.
2008-04-30 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Pretty much what SESH said. Remember that when you're training, you're stressing the body, and it needs time to recover from, and build upon, that stress. Many training plans incorporate that -- you work at a certain level for 2-3 weeks, have an easier week to recover, and then build upon that. It's especially important to do so when you're just getting started with the sport.

Steady, consistent effort is the key. Over time your body will adapt and allow you to work at higher levels of intensity and duration, but it takes time.

Listen to your body, take it easy for a week or so, and you'll be fine. BTW, "overtraining" is a term that gets thrown around way too much, IMO. You're not overtrained, I think, you just need a little recovery time.

Good luck!
2008-05-01 4:49 AM

Thanks for the help and encouragement.... I'll take it pretty easy from now until race day and hope I have it back by then!  I don't really know how long it takes to lose fitness level once you have gained it....
2008-05-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1374234

Elite
Laurium, MI
you won't lose enough fitness to matter.  You might take some time during this extended taper to focus on your nutrition and make sure it is where it needs to be.  I will sometimes go through bouts of crappy workouts, and when I look back on them, 90% of the time they are correlated with weeks where my nutrition was off.
2008-05-01 9:07 AM

User image

Plattsburgh, NY
Looks as if you have done all the work to do well in your race, now you just need to rest. Start your taper early, take a few extra naps, hydrate, get a massage and I'm sure you'll knock the living stuffin' out of your race. BTW you don't tend to physiologically "lose fitness" until around three weeks of inactivity, depending on how good a base of fitness you have. Best of luck, looking forward to the race report!

J.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - hit a wall Rss Feed