St. Anthony's Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 20s
Overall Rank = 233/3600
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/332
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30AM, got dressed and headed to transition with Patches, Egg, WiFi, Buns, Bagger, J-dog & Crash. The plan was to get in and get out quickly.
Once done in transition, we headed back to the hotel to get dressed, have breakfast and maybe catch a few more z's before my 7:15 AM wave start.
Event warmup:

Not much. Just the walk to transition, back to the hotel and to Spa Beach for the swim start.
It was too chilly to get in the water and then stand out on shore waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 25m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a bit choppy with longer type rolling surf. It made the out a little more tactical than it had to be. Also, eventhough, I was in one of the first few waves, it felt like there was a backlog of swimmers in my wave and the wave ahead of us.
What would you do differently?:

Not much to do differently. What can you do when the AG wave is so huge. Just deal with it and have fun.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Got out of the swim and ran as fast as possible into transition and to my stuff. I got changed up and ran out. This year I was smack dab in the middle of the transition area. This meant a longer slower run in and out of transition with the bike.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I hopped on the bike and took off. I was familiar with the course from the previous years race. So I knew what to expect. The wind was there but nothing a good aerobar tuck could not get rid off.
I was working on riding my race and not doing anything dumb to hurt my run off the bike. I figured a minute or two harder on the bike can cost a lot more time on the run.
Before I knew it the ride was coming to an end. I took a gel as I entered frontage road heading towards transition.

Perhaps hurt a little more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

I planned on slipping out of my shoes and running barefoot into transition. However, my rack was surrounded with sand and dry grass, so I figured it would suck to run with all that stuff on my feet. I opted to run in with my bike in my cycling shoes. I slow choice but a cleaner one.
I got changed up, grabbed my stuff and headed out for a run.

Just run barefoot into transition.
Run
  • 41m 33s
  • 6.31 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

After getting out of transition, I focused on getting into a rhythm and pace. My goal for the run was to keep and hold a 6:30/mile pace. I quickly got into pace, but knew it would take alot to keep it together today.
At the turn around, I was right at 6:30/mile. The whole way back all I was hoping for was that the wheels wouldn't come off. The temps were getting warmer and I was slowing down. I was so focused on just getting done, I forgot to take my last gel at the turnaround. The gel would have probably helped a ton.
The finishline finally came and the race was over. It is always an awesome feeling to finish a race. I was happy with tri 10K PR and an overall St. Anthony's PR.

I don't think much. Some days you're on other days you suffer.
Post race
Warm down:

I waited at the finishline for the rest of the gang to come in. I iced the legs in the big Gatorade bin and chatted with everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting sick on Wednesday night and not recovering in time for the race.

Event comments:

This race is still amazing. This is the best way to get the race season kicked off.

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/332
Overall: 0/3600
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle-ish point to point course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:59 | 24.85 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 93/332
Wind: Some
Course: Great urban and residential route with tons of turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:33 | 06.31 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/332
Course: Beautiful neighborhood run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-30 1:45 PM

User image

New user

Miami, Florida
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-30 7:32 PM
in reply to: #1372885

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Agreed about it being a great way to kick off the season....LOVED this race!!!!  Nice job on the PR's...you are just one solid rock star   Happy to see you for a moment!! 
2008-04-30 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Pinecrest

Hey bubba.....

Again- an amazing experience in St. Pete this weekend with you.  Not just the race.. Its alot deeper.  Its friendship, unconditional love and laugh and some Phucken good coffee.....

Not a day goes by that I take for granted that it was you who got me here.  It feels great to not be a rookie anymore and be able to pass on some of that knowledge to others dear to me.  You spanked this race.  Amazing run split!!!  I'm gonna try and give you a run for your money next year but I doubt I'll ever catch up......  This grasshopper will never fill the shoes of his mentor.........

ROCK ON!!! 

2008-04-30 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Fantastic race!  Congratulations.
2008-05-01 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran