Budu racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 43m 59s
Overall Rank = 25/63
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

ate 2 granola bars and had some water. a little bit of stretching, not enough to do any good.
Event warmup:

jogged to the start line
Run
  • 38m 59s
  • 5.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

started out trying to keep up with my buddy jared, but he went out harder than I felt comfortable maintaining. I just got into my own pace and settled into a nice steady effort.
What would you do differently?:

do any speedwork prior to racing, it was definitely a shock to my body running faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

got in and ran right to my rack. kicked my shoes off as I was putting on my helmet and put my bike shoes on. ran out and tried to do the flying mount on my bike and missed. Tried again and got on my seat with my left foot clipped in. i had trouble getting my right foot clipped in and had to pedal with one leg a couple of revs so I wouldn't tip over.

do a couple bricks and practice mounting bike.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 10s
  • 28.8 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Threw on the aereobars the night before and didn't change anything. not my seat height, seat angle, stem anything. So, about eight minutes into my ride my back is killing me and my legs are on fire because I always get excited on the bike and take off at like 40km/hr. I also managed to puke up the rasberry hammergel all over my top tube. Awesome. Once I settled down and got into a groove it wasn't too bad. just tried to focus on keeping my cadence high and stay in the aero position. the long uphill caught me out and I suffered up about it. Caught my friend jared about 3/4 of the way up and he caught me on the slight downhill because I had no more power left. Started cramping in my left calve on the slight downhill. Got super aero on the descent (sat on my toptube hands around the base of my aerobars and chin almost resting on my aerobars) and passed 3-4 riders. not very stable, but very fast. Couldn't use the big ring on my bike at all because my f$%%$ triple is horrible and had to trim like crazy just to spin out going like 45km/hr. Anyway second loop around was pretty good. attacked the hills and yo-yo'ed with a guy and girl in front of me into T2

nothing, get all my gears to work!
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

ran in and kind of forgot where my shoes were. found them racked my bike and took off.

nothing
Run
  • 27m 47s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

ran out of t2 and my calves both began to cramp. I tried to limit the amount I was using them and wound up running with the girl I had been trying to chase down on the bike. We talked for about a half mile and then the guy I had passed just before ending the bike leg blew past me. That got the competitive drive going and I tried to pace off of him. My left quad didn't like that and tightened up really bad. I had to stop and stretch it for a couple of seconds. That seemed to help somewhat because I was able to resume running. With around 1.5 miles or so left I came upon a runner who had stopped running and was walking with his head on his hands. I yelled "do you want a gel". he turned and took the offered gel. i gave him some encouragement a pat on the back and kept running. I ran down 2 people before the finish and semi-sprinted down the finishing shoot.

push harder.brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched a little, drank about 30 ounces of water and had a bagel sandwich, which tasted delicious.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no bricks, not getting used to the aero position, cramping.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:59 | 05.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 38/63
Performance: Average
Course: pretty flat witha couple of small hills and a gradual uphill near the end of the loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:28
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:36:10 | 28.8 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 30/63
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops 14 miles each. 2 short hills and then a long uphill at around 6-8%. after the long hill and slight downhill into a headwind and a fast descent back into flats.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good