BolderBOULDER
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 57m 20s
Overall Rank = 12185/50000
Age Group = Female - 31
Age Group Rank = 141/673
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 AM, dressed, and on the road. Drove to Boulder, ate along the way. Parked at a bus stop and met up with Elissa and Dixie. We rode the bus to the start. I drank a cup of water at the start line while I waited to start.
Event warmup:

Walking to the start line. I really should have warmed up properly because it was cold outside. My muscles were cold starting out.
Run
  • 57m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really feeling good, I was healthy, my legs were ready, the weather was cool (started raining by the end), it was looking like it was going to be a good race for me.

I started the race hoping for a 62 minute finish, 10 min/mile is respectable at altitude. But as I was running I was noticing that I wasn't getting out of breath, my current pace (low 9s) was pretty comfortable. So I started to think, maybe I can make 60! I stopped for water at mile 4 even though I just wanted to keep going. I'm glad I did, I'm sure I needed it. By mile 5 I started to get winded and tired but I knew I could make another 1.2 at around that same pace. I was really pleased with the 57:20 result. Boulder is a little lower elevation than Colorado Springs so that may have helped me a little. Next year my goal is in the low 50s!

It was cool because there were a lot of bands and people cheering along the side of the road, definitely good for motivation.
What would you do differently?:

Tight hamstring almost the whole time - need to warm up and stretch. Luckily it really wasn't too bad. I probably should have tapered a little too, the 3 hour hike on Saturday followed by a 5 mile trail run on Sunday probably didn't help. Plus next year I need to be in a faster wave so I'm not trying to pass people for the entire race.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Elissa and Dixie, walked around the Expo, and took the bus back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hadn't done any training specifically for this event (speedwork) and I didn't taper at all. I'm also still adjusting to the altitude. And I had to do a lot of passing since I was in a wave that was projected to finish in 62-70.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race - despite there being 50,000+ people there it really didn't seem chaotic or overly crowded. Very well organized. I'm planning to do it again next year!

Last updated: 2008-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:20 | 06.21 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 141/673
Overall: 12185/50000
Performance: Good
Course: On the streets of Boulder, pretty much flat, a few rolling hills, a hard hill on the way up to the stadium at the end, finish was in the stadium - that was pretty cool.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-28 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: BolderBOULDER

2008-05-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1428134

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: BolderBOULDER
Nice race! You did much better than you expected so you are in better shape than you thought. You could probably do as good or better in the Sailin Shoes 10K in downtown Colorado Springs in a few weeks. Similar course - mostly flat, a couple minor hills - and way less crowded.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BolderBOULDER Rss Feed