General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM Next Week; a Few Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-31 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: First HIM Next Week; a Few Questions
So Eagleman wil be my first HIM! I have a couple of questions about how things work.

Specifically, do they give you water bottles ahead of time, or do you simply swap out the ones you bring for what is handed to you on the course?

I've been training with my Camelbak and am tempted to use it in the race, but have read a couple of threads lately where people seem to think it is not a good idea. I tend to drink a lot of fluid when the weather is warm (I sweat alot). Does the weight and lack of areo make that much difference? At best, I think I can average 20-21mph on the bike and I am riding a road bike with clip-on aerobars.

Also, how do I find out what type of sports drink will be available?

I'm pretty nervous but also very excited....

Thanks!

2008-06-01 3:14 AM
in reply to: #1435553

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: First HIM Next Week; a Few Questions

Can't help you with most of it but I used a camelback in my 1/2. I liked the ease of drinking and not having to worry about bottle swaps etc. Big downside I realised just before the race was I couldn't monitor how much I was drinking. In training I'd suddenly feel like it was very light and cut down the drinking to make it last, but then get home and find a litre still in there. Have gone away from it now for this reason and stick to the bottles.

Gerrard 

2008-06-01 4:41 AM
in reply to: #1435553

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: First HIM Next Week; a Few Questions
I've completed one HIM, and I decided to wear a camelback using the same reasoning you did. I wasn't setting speed records and wanted the convenience.

Unfortunately it didn't work out so well. For me, there's no way a camelback will fit enough water to last the entire 56 miles. I used my one bottle for concentrated perpetuem to get my calories and electrolytes. When my camelback was empty about 40 miles into the ride, I was stuck with the lose/lose situation of either ditching my perpetuem for water bottles or going without water the last 15 miles.

If you have multiple bottle cages or can work out a failproof plan, then do what you think it best. But having the freedom to pick up water bottles as you go is very helpful, and the camelback just proves to be a nuisance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM Next Week; a Few Questions Rss Feed