CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 27s
Overall Rank = 176/276
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 27/33
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Country Inn Suites the night before just off the race exit on the NE Extension with wife and friends. Up at 5am to eat Power Bar, Special K Bar, and drink some water. Headed to race site at 6am and arrived for set-up and such at 615am..Got everything all set-up by 640am..and headed off to use the restroom
Event warmup:

Jogged down to the water and back up the hill...Did some pushups and jumping jacks to get the heart rate up a bit and just prepared mentally....This was my first race back after a major shoulder surgery in October 2007, so the mental prep was important for me.
Swim
  • 18h 59m
  • 820 yards
  • 2h 18m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out in the back of the pack since the shoulder was getting its first race day since the surgery. Felt good and sighted the course excellant. Got some drafting on the back part of the swim and felt strong for me. Swimming has been my slowest event historically...Overall was very happy with my swim this race...Great
What would you do differently?:

Try to start up in the pack this year...Not the front, but not in the way back
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Long run up the hill, but you can run up it with the correct effort level

I ran to the wrong rack, which is common for me....So I would stop doing that in the future
Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 18 miles
  • 13.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Well from my time you can tell this was not a stellar morning for me...After 3 miles I dropped my water bottle and made the mistake of not going back for it...(bad mistake I would learn on the run)..At mile 6.5 my cassette cogs came so loose that my bike would no longer shift and I was stuck on the side of the road...I tried to get going twice w/o the bike mechanics, but was unable...This set me back roughly 20 mins or so, and really killed my spirits some...Got it fixed by the race crew (God Bless Them) and finished out the course hard, my watch gave me about 17.4MPH so I would say I did decent.

Not have my bike break (this was really out of my control since I had it tuned up the week before...The real item within my control was not going back to get my water bottle for this race, as I found out later that the 20-30 seconds this would have taken, cost me more on the run later on...
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

All good here...i had a time that compares to the top of the race list...I don't take off my shoes till I get in the rack, and use bungees on race day, rec this to everyone for the shoes

Maybe should have drank some water here, but felt strong so I just went out for it on the run...
Run
  • 24h 34m
  • 3.4 miles
  • 7h 13m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I opened in 6:30 felling decent, but the lack of hydration caught me going up the hill and I felt as bad as I have felt running in a long time....I can norally hold my 6:30 pace or better, but today no chance...Mile 2 was rough, and by mile 3 I was just trying to finish so I could get some water in me...Tried to drink at the stops, but really just wanted to finish the race so I kept trying hard...

Drink more fluids throughout the race, keep better mental toughness during run, and not leave anything on the course....Feel I could have closed better
Post race
Warm down:

Water Water Water......just grabbed a few bottles and walked down to the beach and bike to gather myself...Then ate a little food and meet up with my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fluid Intake, Shoulder Rehab, and Bike Mechanical Problems

Event comments:

I love this race! I will do it every year they have it....This was my second year....If those hills killed you in your first attempt, come back next year and they won't feel as tough!

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
18:59:00 | 820 yards | 2h 18m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 164/276
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo race bottoms and top
Course: Simple square course, water somewhat coppy but calm for the most part
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:00 | 18 miles | 13.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 342/276
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Very Hilly Course, open to traffic (although very few cars), some of the hills come on blind turns with low speed, but just need to get through them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good