General Discussion Triathlon Talk » length of running stride question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-16 11:44 AM

User image

Subject: length of running stride question

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with...

When training for longer runs (half marathon or longer), is it better to have a longer stride or a shorter one?  I've heard good arguements for both sides:

Long strides - you cover more distance in a faster time

Short strides - you get most of your power out of the middle of the stride and in the long run, it's more efficient

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

2005-01-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: #104396

User image

Master
Subject: RE: length of running stride question
I was a Miler on my HS track team and we were taught to lengthen our stride, but I have read for longer distances it is best to shorten it up and focus on leg turnover. I'm not really sure what is best, but I FEEL better with a longer stride. I'm not sure which is best. Hopefully someone will get us a better answer later today. I know a lot of people are reading Chi running. I am not familliar with it, but am planning on reading it soon. It may be of some help to you as well...
2005-01-16 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Cadence is more mportant when it comes to running, esp longer distances because it is much more efficient.

The length of your stride (keeping cadence at an optimal level) will depend on your height and will be whatever it is at the most efficient cadence.

So, concentrate on efficiency when running rather than stride length because your stride length will fall wherever it does when you become maximally efficient.

2005-01-16 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Steve is absolutely right. Work on your cadence and don't worry about your stride length. I never tell my kids to lengthen or shorten their strides (I'm a high school cross country/track coach). I tell them to work on their cadence. The length of their strides will work itself out. A good turnover is usually lacking in alot of distance runners, even myself. Its difficult to work on, but should always be on ones mind while running. Its equivelent to the # of strokes while swimming.

Good luck,

Randy
2005-01-18 8:36 PM

User image

Thanks for your help - I'll start keeping track of steps per minute too.
2005-01-18 9:52 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.

I think 85-90 is the ideal cadence for running. 

I'm 6'3 with long legs and I take tiny steps when I run but I hit 88-90 steps every minute I'm counting.  I've tried taking long strides but that just wears me out. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » length of running stride question Rss Feed