General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
82F / 28C
Total Time = 3h 02m 23s
Overall Rank = 1193/1892
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 65/141
Pre-race routine:

Ate cereal, half a banana. Drank water. Felt nauseous after banana but felt better later. Set up transition and looked over the layout. Felt pretty calm. At the swim start we milled around alot, I ate a shot-block about 15 minutes before the race start.
Event warmup:

Did about 100 yds warmup in the river. Felt pretty good and comfortable.
Swim
  • 31m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Guys in the wave behind me were aggro. Swim felt good, I was very calm the entire time. Slowed down on the 2nd half due to exhaustion.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. I'm pleased with how I did. Well, maybe next time I'd kick that annoying dude in the face who insisted on repetitively trying to swim over me when there was plenty of open water on either side.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Really good T1. Felt quick and smooth.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike. I was really hammering on the flats, with speeds averaging around 20+. But the hills killed me. I also dropped a chain twice on hills, which I've never done before. Took 2 Gu's at miles 1 and 13 with some water.

Be a better climber. Other than that I was pretty happy with everything.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Some **** stole my spot on the rack, so I had to search around for an opening. I guess if I'd had a faster bike I would have had more options. Ah well. After that, the rest of transition was a breeze.

Bike faster so I don't have to come back to someone stealing my spot on the rack. Or carry something sharp. :)
Run
  • 1h 01m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I died here. Felt great the first few miles, but then my legs got super tired. Despite that, my pace must have been good, because even with intermittent walking from miles 3 on (I was getting that bad tingly feeling in my extremities), I still averaged under 10 min/mile. Took 1/2 Gu at mile 3 and drank a good bit of gatorade and water from the rest stops. I

In training, run longer. My longest run was a week prior at 5.5 miles, which I don't think was enough. Also I would have started off slower, but my legs just felt so good the first mile or so that I didn't think I was going that fast. i would say maybe bring a watch to keep an eye on myself, but that'll never happen.
Post race
Warm down:

Mmmm... tomato pie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training, definitely. I think with some serious training I could drop my time rather significantly, definitely under 3 hours.

Event comments:

I do have a few drawbacks re: this race.

1) they kept telling us that the lines for the porta potties at the swim start would be short, but they were really long and I got there really early even. Also, some of the potties were locked from the inside and out of use (or else someone was having an extreme case of nerves!)

2) on picking up the swim start bags, they were just dumped willy nilly at the top of Black Rd, so it was near impossible to find your bags. It wouldn't have been hard to just pile them by race number, would it? Next time, they need to just do something as simple as putting little sticks int he ground with a piece of paper saying 100-199, 200-299, etc. and then pile the respective bags around the right one. Ah well. Eventually found my bag, unlike some folks who were wandering around very pissed off and tired and not wanting to dig through 1000+bags in order to find their flip flops.

Oh, and also, I checked my times like 5 minutes ago, and they were 30 seconds faster. It looks like there was an error in the swim or something, because my fiancee's had the same problem. It's not a big deal, only 30 seconds, but I was psyched to see a 3:01:xx instead of a 3:02:xx. Just a minor thing though, and I understand with the chips it can be glitchy.

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/141
Overall: 890/1892
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Point-to-point, straight shot down river with one turn at the end to get to the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:50 | 24.85 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Overall: 1272/1892
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops of a course with 4 hill climbs on each loop. 2 long hills on the first 1/2 of the loop, then two shorter but still steep ones after those. Long fast downhills and flats to work on getting the average up to make up for those climbs.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:02 | 06.21 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 1333/1892
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course with 2 turn arounds. Grass out of transition and also around mile 2.5 for a hundred yards or so.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance

2008-06-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1481469

User image

Regular
Stowe, PA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance

Great job!

BTW - my watch time and chip time are also off by ~30 seconds.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance Rss Feed