General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cut short Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-07 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: cut short
So today I tried to go for a swim and was definitely going to try and get some good yardage in since I didn't have to go into work till much much later. So I went in and saw an old guy was swimming....well I should say he was barely keeping afloat, but anyway so I asked him politely if I could join his lane as there was no other lanes availible, he gave me this look but said yes.

So I got in and started to go swim and everytime I was passing this old guy he kept splashing me and was obviously taking up more of the lane then he should be as I might of well of been hugging the lane line and swam at the same time.

anyone at all have some similar story? just the nerve of some people

2008-07-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1511724

Subject: RE: cut short
I will sometimes sit and wait for people to get out of a lane, rather than try to swim while dodging their flailing limbs, etc. There are a lot of BAD swimmers at my pool, and I'd rather not have my workout ruined.
2008-07-07 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

So he lets you share his lane and then you complain about him? 

He was splashing you?  Weren't you already wet?  Did you actually cut your workout short because of that? 

Actually it sounds to me like good practice for a race wave start.

Mark   

2008-07-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1511788

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
no it was just annoying
2008-07-07 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Maple Ridge
My last pool session I witnessed the MOSTclueless behaviour in a pool. I was in disbelief. To be slightly fair the pool staff was hugely at fault here. First off I was MID swim when I noticed the pool staff was removing the lane dividers. I just figured I'd finish that lap and find out was goin on since the schedule had swimming in that pool for another 1 1/2 hours. Not seconds later I go head first into another swimmer. OUCH. She didn't see me and I guess I was swimming looking back too much. We made our way to the side where a lifeguard now told us ( didn't see us collide) that the pool was being opened for the diving board and swing, but we could swim down the middle if we wanted ( UH, no thanks) or the other pool ( warm teach pool) was open for lengths. SO we both head over there along with 2 other guys who looked to be there for serious training. The staff doesn't put in lane lines. WThell. SO we all just spread out and start swimming back and forth. I pick the edge of the pool and hug it tight my head is still ringing. The this elderly lady with a waist floaty gets in the pool and proceeds to hand pull herself along the pool next to the lane I'm in. Then she parks herself at the end of my "lane" and starts doing exercises where she's floating her legs out and then pulling them back. Totally oblivious that I have to swing around her. Then after about 10 minutes two woman with their 11/12 year old get in and start swimming three abreast right at me WHILE having a little chat. Luckily I did see them enter the pool so I was paying pretty close attention and swam between one woman and the kid. They proceeded to meander back and forth and basically left it up to me to avoid them. Good practice for an ow tri I guess??!!! There were sign boards set up identifying it as lane swimming, but I don't think those women would have entered the pool had there been proper lane lines set up ( or maybe they would have they were that clueless/ignorant) and had there been proper lanes those of us there to seriously swim( ended up being 6) could have formed up better to share lanes, but with no structure it was a mess.
I went the next day and bought a wetsuit and have since had two absolutely fantastic OWS with nobody nearby.
2008-07-07 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

shrugs....HTFU 

Life is too short to worry about the small stuff.   Next time keep an eye open for when another lane opens up if you don't like your lane buddy.  And pick your lane more carefully.  IE - Watch the swimmers for a while before jumping in.

2008-07-07 11:21 AM

Yeah, I also don't trust the lifeguard staff to save ANYONE if something were to happen. They're all a bunch of morons who don't stay at their posts, and don't really pay attention. And now that it's summer, the girls "on duty" lay outside and tan instead of watching the pool.

I also loved last weekend, when some family was bouncing around in a lane in the lap pool when there was NO ONE in the outdoor "family" pool. Luckily, I had a lane all to myself, but still found it rude, esp. since there were other folks trying to actually swim, and the first two lanes were being used by water aerobics. We have two pools for a reason. I also saw a woman let her kid jump right into a lane where someone was swimming laps - again, Saturday afternoon, family pool is open!!!! Take your kids there!!!! Arg.

2008-07-07 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1511838

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

grizzy17 - 2008-07-07 12:06 PM no it was just annoying

The old guy was probably thinking the same thing about you. 

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cut short Rss Feed