Triple Crown of Running
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 3s
Overall Rank = 427/667
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/40
Pre-race routine:

I did not sleep well the night before. Maybe 2 hours? Not good. Woke up feeling pretty crappy and totally unprepared for a run, let alone for a race. Ate 2 fig newtons and drank some water. Dropped Boyfriend off at race site so he could register and then went to Friend's to park. Friend's husband dropped us off at the race start.
Event warmup:

Um yeah, commented to Becca how I didn't get the concept of "warming up" We concluded that we were definitely not competitive enough to warm up :)
Run
  • 1h 21m 3s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I can run uphill just fine. Passed a bunch of people, though still kept it conservative as I knew that it was a long uphill with not too many flat or downhill sections. Walked about 1/4 mile during the steeper part of High Drive. At the turnaround, saw that Becca wasn't too far behind me, so I stopped and waited for her so we could run and chit chat on the way down. I do not run downhill fast at all, so tons of people passed us. And that's ok! I'm never in it to win it :)
What would you do differently?:

Definitely get more sleep the night prior.

Check out the upper part of the course. It was a lot longer than I thought.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Saw a classmate at the finish so we talked to him for a bit. Walked the 1/2 mile back to Becca's house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the 50 mile bike I did on Friday affected me. At least it made me more sore than I've ever been following a run/ride.

Event comments:

The series is a good one if you can get into the Ascent. I am never doing the Ascent again, so I'm not sure if I'm ever going to run this particular race again. I liked the course in 2005 a lot better than this year's. Oh well. The volunteers are awesome and the race was well organized and on time.

Last updated: 2008-07-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:21:03 | 07.46 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/40
Overall: 427/667
Performance: Good
Course: From website: The course is an out-and-back on dirt trails, gravel/dirt road, and about 1/2 mile on a paved road. It's mostly up hill on the way out, and mostly downhill on the way back. The elevation ranges from about 6100 feet to about 7100 feet. The course follows the Bear Creek Regional Trail in Bear Creek Park, connects to Bear Creek Road, and then uses High Drive. This is a very challenging course and is a wonderful tuneup for the Barr Trail Mountain Race, Pikes Peak Ascent, and Pikes Peak Marathon.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-07 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K

2008-07-07 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1511982

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K
Nice going! That part on High Drive did seem to go forever. How did BF do?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K Rss Feed