General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-09 7:35 PM

New user
Subject: First bike!

Well I am going to move back to my home town after about half a year of moving place to place.

Once I get settled I will be getting my first Tri Bike to begin with some short tri's and then move up eventually to the longer races.

My question is, for a first bike, would it be wise to get a road bike and slap some aero bars on? Or fork out the extra money for a time trial / triathlon specific bike?

I have absolutely no road bike or tri bike experience... or cycling experience for that matter. I used to do a little bit of mountain biking that is it.

Thats what you get for primarily being a swimmer/runner

2008-07-09 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1518951

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
Subject: RE: First bike!

As a newbie tri guy myself....... It would be ideal to have both, if possible.  If not possible, you need to decide the MAJORITY of riding you will be doing. If you are strictly tri/time trial, then the choice is obvious.  I would caution doing "tri set-up" on a road bike (I am sure others will disagreeCool).  The geometry is completely different, and in my opinion would be counter productive due to the decreased torso-femur angle. Of course continued trial and error of positioning could remedy this, but a BIG PAIN nontheless.

Hope this helps.....just my 2 cents as a newbie.

2008-07-09 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL

I purchased both and wound up spending 90% of my time on the tribike.  I use the roadbike forlong  group rides, and when my tt is in the shop.  I have considered selling my roadbike as I can get away with using only my tt. 

I use the tt only because i am so much more comfortable on it, so that has a lot to do with which bike i choose to ride most.

2008-07-10 5:37 AM

New user

I will not be doing any serious competition or specific tri training for at least another year.

In the mean time I will mainly be biking for weight loss, cardio, and leg strength, because I will be doing my Military Diving Training which will be physically strenuous as it is.

I will be a little limited for funds, I may have around $1200 to spend.

2008-07-10 3:03 PM

Anchorage
I had similar budget and purchased a Felt F75 road bike. It has been a terrific bike for getting into riding and I have done 5 races on it. I did start to covet tri-bikes after my first race, and finally picked one up this month. My tri-bike is sooo much more comfortable, and noticeably easier to run off the bike than my roadie, so I am thrilled to have purchased. I still think a road bike is the best choice to get into the sport, but don't be surprised if you find yourself back in the bike shop looking at those sexy aero frames.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike! Rss Feed