General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First OWS ever... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-10 3:13 PM

Regular
Subject: First OWS ever...
Well I did it! Today was the first time I swam the river course for my first Oly in 2.5 weeks. I was glad to have a wetsuit. It made the water nice and bearable for a cold water chicken like me. I have not been swimming at all in the last month - training my weaknesses, biking and running. I have always been able to swim a mile at the pool so I figured that was enough since the swim is aided by the current. Well like you all said, OW is a bit different than the pool. First I didn't immediately freak out. The water was green and I could not see a thing - ok, no problem, but I never could get a rhythm down. Swim 6 strokes, sight while breaststroking, swim again... My wetsuit felt really tight in the shoulders and my arms got tired so fast. This lasted until I was about 2/3 of the way to the finish. At this point I still was not in any rhythm, breaststroking more and not wanting my head in the green water. I was also getting dizzy to the point of wanting to vomit even though the water was calm. I thought that the panic was just about on me so I flipped over on my back to rest and flutter kick but as I did the whole world went spinning. I flipped back to my stomach so fast - ugh! I just kept with my crawl, breastroke gasping routine and made it to the finish in 19.05. I was hoping to finish in 25 so maybe I pushed too hard and that is why I floundered. Anyway I'm glad it's over, I have a sharp pain in my left ear that comes and goes. Used some swim ear and it burned like heck. I'm looking forward to the next swim - think I should go slower? I'm definately using ear plugs. Not sure how my bike and run would be with a swim like this - and I wasn't the first in by far (but not the last either - yea!)

2008-07-10 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1521113

New user
Subject: RE: First OWS ever...
I did my first OWS last week and totally freaked. I couldn't catch my breath and the wet suit seemed way too constricting. I've since done two more and today i was able to get my normal stroke/breathing down. i did try a new wet suit which might have made the difference but it's tough to say. keep at it..you get used to it.

2008-07-10 4:09 PM

User image

SC
The dizziness was probably motion sickness due to the clarity of the water. Happened to me on my first OWS in murky water. Your body is moving but your eyes can't see and process the movement so for many it can be quite a stir. I didn't feel it till I was getting out of the water though, it was like I spun around 10 times really fast before walking out of the water. Just like bike to run in T2 though, after training your body/mind to get used to it through practice you'll be just fine.

Congrats on the swim BTW, I love OWSs now and really wish I could do them more often but getting to the pool is much easier and closer than getting to the lake.

Edited by Rum_Runner 2008-07-10 4:22 PM
2008-07-10 4:13 PM

Regular
Kidblue
Thanks for the encouragement - I 'm glad to hear that it only gets better not worse We plan on going a few more times before the race. At least I have done it once and know that I CAN finish even if I have to sidestroke!

Good job keeping at it especially after a freak out - I decided that I will pull my wetsuit up a bit higher on my legs which will hopefully free up my shoulders a bit - I think that will help a lot. Now if I could only have a black stripe to follow ...
2008-07-10 5:12 PM

I've only been open water swimming for a few weeks now, but it's definitely getting easier every time.  So yeah, practice, practice and you'll find what works for you.  One thing that was hard for me in my first open water swim race was having everybody in the water at once.  Even though I started in the back and side, when I was swimming, it would freak me out a bit to see feet or people right beside me.  So if you're swimming in a group, it wouldn't hurt to practice swimming in close proximity. 
2008-07-10 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1521484

i did my first OW swim last week.  I did a couple hundred yards in a crystal clear spring.  it was really cool.  literally (water was 71 degrees) and figuratively, i saw fishies!

one thing that was difficult for me was figuring out what direction to go.  i put my head in the water and look straight down to swim so it was weird to have to look up--way up--out of the water to find my way.

also, you don't get as much rest.  in the pool, i tend to get to the side and rest.  homie don't play that in the spring.  you had to keep swimming.  which obviously, is what you need to do to build up endurance.

2008-07-11 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

The best way to get better and more comfortable at OWS is to just do it!  The more you do it, the easier it gets.  I actually prefer an early morning OWS to a pool any day!  The water is miror-smooth, the sun is just coming up, all you hear are the gentle sounds of your strokes and the birds singing.  It's easy to relax and just swim swim swim.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First OWS ever... Rss Feed