General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper hotel in Hampton, VA? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-25 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA
Subject: Proper hotel in Hampton, VA?
TriAmerica Series international distance (oly) tri in June, 2005.

Registration $$ spent, and the training program is set.  A little freaked about the O/W swim, but plan to do O/W sprint and some river swimming prior to...

-anyhoo-

As the title of this tread suggests, I'm having some difficulty deciding which local hotel to use, I can't seem to find one close to the venue (Buckroe Beach) and although I've visited VA beach and Chesapeake several times, have never spent any time in Hampton and have no experience on which to fall back.

Does anyone live in this area or did anyone compete at the olympic or sprint distance event last year and have hotel recommendations? I'd appreciate your opinions.

Edited by fraggle 2005-01-25 11:53 AM

2005-01-25 2:03 PM
in reply to: #108100

Subject: RE: Proper hotel in Hampton, VA?
Did it year before last. There are a bunch of hotels on Mercury Drive near the mall and interstate that are about as close as you are going to get. (all the name brands). The swim is better there than across over at Breezy Point (where it can be very rough). The swim is at Buckroe Beach which is a nice pubic beach with a good sized field for parking. I think the hotels end up being @15minutes away.
2005-01-25 2:10 PM
in reply to: #108153

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
You could also stay right across the brige-tunnel in Norfolk!!
2005-01-25 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Cole Harbour, NS
Hey if your in the military or have access to those facilities the area is ripe with excellent cheap military places to stay. If you can get it.
2005-01-26 6:14 AM

Subject: no no no - DON'T stay on the other side of the tunnel
Staying on the other side of the tunnel is very very bad, only from having done races where I've had to stay at hotels there. It's very close and easy access right up to the point that there's an accident in the tunnel or a lane closure for work in there, which they do during the odd weekend hours - when you'd like to go to a race. What ever you do when doing a race in Hampton or VA Beach ALWAYS stay on the same side of the tunnel as your race. That way it's one less thing to worry about.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper hotel in Hampton, VA? Rss Feed