General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach Bike Route Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-14 2:45 PM

User image

Subject: Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach Bike Route
I visit Wrightsville Beach 1-2 weekends per month during the summer. I typically ride the 10 mile end to end island route 3 times for a not very exciting 30 miles. I used to ride the River Road 20 mile route but I do not like that route (the commute to River Road uses up too much of my hall pass time). I have surfed the internet for other routes - mapmyride, bike shops, bike clubs, etc. None of the rides are appealing because Wilmington appears to have few bike friendly roads (no shoulders, 2 lanes, 45 mph). I will be in Wrightsville Sun-Fri of next week and I would like to do a different ride than the standard on island 30 miler. Does anyone have suggestions?

Edit to add another request: are there any lap pools open to the public (for a fee) that I could use?

Thanks.

Edited by BigPimp 2008-07-14 3:00 PM

2008-07-18 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1528797

User image

Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach Bike Route
I would love to know too. I'm moving to Wilmington next month and need to find some 30 and 60+ mile routes to start doing asap! I do know there are a couple local bike shops - I'm sure they have routes they do... but I have been unable to locate any with longer routes on mapmyride or with the bike clubs.

What is wrong with River Road? Could you bike to the road from Wrightsville Beach?
2008-07-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1539204

User image

n2fitness - 2008-07-18 7:48 AM

I would love to know too. I'm moving to Wilmington next month and need to find some 30 and 60+ mile routes to start doing asap! I do know there are a couple local bike shops - I'm sure they have routes they do... but I have been unable to locate any with longer routes on mapmyride or with the bike clubs.

What is wrong with River Road? Could you bike to the road from Wrightsville Beach?

----

River Road is not bad by any means. It is 10 miles out and back with a bike lane for most if not all the way (I think all). It is also flat. So you get 20 miles of flat road with a bike lane. About all you can ask for. I just like some variety. And I'd like a 50+ mile route.

Here is a link for a cycling club:
http://www.capefearcyclists.org/

And here is a link for a triathlon club:
http://www.ytriclub.com/

If you are moving there, check out those groups.

Here is a good bike store too:
http://www.bikesarefun.com/staff.asp
2008-07-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1528797

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Wilmington is not the greatest place to ride due to lack of bike lanes and traffic. You can ride from Wrightsville Beach down to River Road and back, that's a decent route. You can also ride River Road across Carolina Beach bridge and down to the ferry and back. That's about a 45 mile ride. There are groups leaving on the weekends from different places for longer rides as it gets closer to B2B. Once you leave the beach you can take Eastwood Rd and get on MLK Parkway, which will take you either downtown or you can head out towards the airport and out towards Lane's Ferry/210 area.
Check out the Y tri club when you get to town, they have a lot to offer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach Bike Route Rss Feed