General Discussion Race Reports! » Glastonbury Living Well Race Series. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Glastonbury Living Well Race Series. - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Glastonbury, Connecticut
United States
Glastonbury chamber of commerce
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 16m 48s
Overall Rank = 2/130
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Helped Mike with the setup of the race, checked in a few people, had the kids handle pre-reg, that's it...
Event warmup:

1 mile warmup and a few strides. Heat and humidity was just brutal, the warmup alone left me saturated.
Run
  • 16m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall quite happy considering it's my first 5K in at least 2 years and hardly any speed work in the last few months.

Went out with the front group of 3 or 4 guys, tucked in behind them to see what kind of pace they would set. Felt pretty good. 1/2 mile mark I moved in front with the eventual winner just back off my shoulder. Other guys started fading. I kept the pace honest but he didn't appear to be going anywhere. As we got close to the 2 mile mark I eyed a turn where I was going to try a surge for 20 seconds or so to try and put a little space between us but as I was contemplating my strategy he did exactly what I was thinking. Oops... Next thing I knew he had by 10 yards or so. That was rough as we were into mile 3 now and although the legs were doing ok the cardio was suffering from not having raced 5K's and from the crazy heat and humidity. Kept him close and finished a solid second.

Was quite happy with the consistency as I clocked 5:22, 5:24 and 5:29 and surprisingly set a new "post age 35" PR by about 8 seconds. I'll take it.

This race was a 3 race series. Next up is a 4.5 miler next weekend followed by a 10K finale.
What would you do differently?:

Pray for cooler weather...
Post race
Warm down:

Little

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat!!

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:48 | 03.1 miles | 05m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 2/130
Performance: Good
Course: Very flat course, and a slight downhill finish for the last 200 yds...
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-19 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Subject: Glastonbury Living Well Race Series.

2008-07-19 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1542212

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Glastonbury Living Well Race Series.
Jay - Well done my friend you are a sickening fast runner. I hear you on the heat the last coupel of days in CT have been awful..
2008-07-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1542212

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Glastonbury Living Well Race Series.
I was there too.
You are an animal.
Good Going!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glastonbury Living Well Race Series. Rss Feed