General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training to much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-23 10:31 PM

Kansas
Subject: Training to much?
I'm looking for input on weather I'm being to aggressive with my training. I'm using the “Triathlon Training Bible” and currently in base period 2.

Monday: Run (or lift weights)
Tuesday: Bike and Swim
Wednesday: Run
Thursday: Bike and Swim
Friday: Run (or rest day)
Saturday: Bike
Sunday: Swim or Run

I usually will fit in a rest day, it just depends on how Imy legs feel. The days that I bike and swim, the two are done separately. I bike 6:00 am and then do swimming over my lunch hour. My background is cycling, I logged a little over 2000 miles last year.

I was wanting to know if I would get better results if I biked one day, swam one and ran another.

2004-02-24 12:09 AM
in reply to: #9045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Subject: RE: Training to much?

I would fit a rest day in there whether you feel you need it or not. Proper rest is very very important. You should have at least one day with nothing to give your body a chance to heal up. Just my 2 pennies. Jack

Edited by JaWaLav 2004-02-24 12:09 AM
2004-02-24 12:34 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I like Friel's Bible too, I just got his older Cycling Bible I am reading now. I am with Jack, at least ONE whole rest day, regardless of how your legs feel. I also mostly swim/bike on the same day and run on alternates. The run seems to take the most out of me. Every other week I try to get my weights in on Sunday before my afternoon run and rest on Mon. I would plan at least 2-3 bricks a month to get used to the transitions depending on where you are to your event. Going for the 6 day (8-9 workout) week seems resonable enough, but I couldn't rate your aggressiveness factor w/o some idea of volume in relation to your event distance. You could be doing short time, high intensity workouts and killing yourself not building a good base OR all easy tempo within your heart zone for optimum endurance training. But I will assume your are doing more of the latter as per the Training Bible. Also get as much rest as possible (8hrs min/night). It helps me out tremendously.
2004-02-24 12:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

There's nothing wrong with working out seven days. But you must take extra care not to overtrain. Make sure you have at least one recovery day (short distance / easy intensity) HR zone 1. It's also a good idea to monitor your resting HR. Take it first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. Keep my monitor on the nightstand. If resting HR is up 5 beats per minute or more it's time for a rest day or a recovery day. This is a good idea even if you incorporate 1-2 full rest days. A full rest day doesn't guarantee that you won't overtrain.

JD

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training to much? Rss Feed