General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nose clips and head pain while swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-22 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Nose clips and head pain while swimming
alright so i use a noseclip. I admit it. I would really love to break the habit though.

I have tried to "blow bubbles", but in general the water up the nose sensation is terrible. is there something that i am doing wrong or is this just an issue that some people have?

One of the reasons i am trying to break the habit, in addition to being embarrassing, is that i have noticed that on longer swims my head starts to really hurt. is this a common thing or could it be from the pressure of having the clips on? no idea.

help!

2008-07-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1548965

Subject: RE: Nose clips and head pain while swimming

hooslisa - 2008-07-22 12:25 PM alright so i use a noseclip. I admit it. I would really love to break the habit though. I have tried to "blow bubbles", but in general the water up the nose sensation is terrible. is there something that i am doing wrong or is this just an issue that some people have? One of the reasons i am trying to break the habit, in addition to being embarrassing, is that i have noticed that on longer swims my head starts to really hurt. is this a common thing or could it be from the pressure of having the clips on? no idea. help!

Hey, first of all, welcome to BT, fellow NoVA'er   There are a bunch of us nearby - I'm in Tysons Corner.

Secondly - yes, it might be the nose clips - sometimes if I have my goggles too tight, the pressure makes my head hurt.

If you want to try getting used to blowing bubbles, practice going really slow, with a kickboard, and make sure when you blow out, you blow through BOTH your nose and your mouth - this might help you avoid getting water in your nose. Similarly, getting a rhythm down to your breathing will help, which just takes practice.

To make SURE you are breathing regularly, I like to make sounds, humming (open-mouthed) or whatever - then I know I am breathing enough, and it allows you control the airflow, if you are consciously trying to make noise. Sounds weird, but it works for me when I start to get lazy and don't breathe properly.

2008-07-22 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I wear a nose clip for OWS otherwise I get runny nose, sneezy then totally congested to the point where I cannot breath at all thru my nose.  This typically occurs about 6 hours after I swim.  Lasts for overnight and gradually goes way the next day.  No headaches for me in Sprints and Olys. 

I'm ok w/o the nose clip in the pool where I would swim for longer times than in my races.  I have decided to start wearing my nose clip in the pool too at least during the season so I train the same as I race. 

2008-07-23 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1548986

User image

Master
Reston, VA
thanks for the advice. i guess there is no magic way for it to work, just practice, huh. I will start adding a set of bubble blowing and humming prior to my workout. hopefully, i will get better.

i see you're doing the reston this year. have you done it before? my first was last year. i'm in reston so it's nice to have it in your own backyard..... actually, my profile pic was reston last year come to think of it.

Edited by hooslisa 2008-07-23 7:12 AM
2008-07-23 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1549055

User image

Master
Reston, VA
thanks for the info. it's nice to know that there are other nose clippers out there
2008-07-23 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1551310

hooslisa - 2008-07-23 8:12 AM thanks for the advice. i guess there is no magic way for it to work, just practice, huh. I will start adding a set of bubble blowing and humming prior to my workout. hopefully, i will get better. i see you're doing the reston this year. have you done it before? my first was last year. i'm in reston so it's nice to have it in your own backyard..... actually, my profile pic was reston last year come to think of it.

I have not done the Reston Oly before (did the sprint in June of this year) and it will also be my first Oly Any tips on the course?

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-07-23 8:10 AM

2008-08-06 12:16 PM

2008-08-06 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Just a thought. If you still get headaches after you break yourself of the "habit" make sure you goggles are not too tight. I' had a pair years ago that pressed too hard on my sinuses and gave me a headache on very long swims occasionally.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nose clips and head pain while swimming Rss Feed