United States
30F / -1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 40m 20s
Overall Rank = -/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My wife had signed up for this race, but friday night and Saturday morning there was an ice storm and she didn't want to leave the house for fear of getting stranded. I took the car out of the garage around 6:00am and the drive was iced over. We have a super steep drive. The car turned sideways on the ice and slid down the drive (about 70') totally sideways. this put any question to rest for my wife about if she was going out in the weather. About an hour later I thought there was no use wasting a good race entry so I went to race in her place. It took an hour to crawl along the iced over roads to get to the race. I got there late and only a few cars were in the parking area (Everyone else had the same idea as my wife). I found the race directors inside a building and was informed that two people had already run the race and they may schedule it for a different day. I thought that there is no way I drove all the way here just to pick up a t-shirt that I won't even wear if I didn't finish. So I did a solo 5k run. (The directors told me later the race would be cancelled so I'm glad I ran)
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 20m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My primary focus was not to hurt myself running on ice. the course was on sidewalks and pavement which was covered with a layer of ice and sleet. the sleet stared coming down fairly heavy about 1/2 mile into the run and stayed regular throughout the run. Where possible I tried running on the grass strip between the sidewalk and the road, but couldn't figure out if running on crunchy grass or slick concrete was harder, So I regularly alternated. I don't have experience running on ice and thought I learned fairly quickly how to manage. I tried to keep a good quick pace despite the lack of competition and winter weather conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

I had no official time. I showed 20:40 at the finish line, but this is not correct. I know I was running slower than that. I found that I ran circular course in the wrong direction, and since it was a loop and a half to complete the course the 1/2 loop in the wrong direction must have been a shorter distance. I can't count it as an official 5k time but I was none the less pleased with the time expecially considering the circumstances. More than anything I am pleased not to have a DNS or a DNF on either mine or my wifes race record. the experience and pride of overcomming the conditions was better than the race itself could have ever been.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of competitors to drive me on and the road conditions

Last updated: 2005-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:40 | 03.1 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: fairly flat circular course. iced over.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-01-31 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Subject: Polar Bear Run

2005-01-31 10:15 AM
in reply to: #110526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Polar Bear Run
Congratulations on dealing with the weather and completing your (your wife's) run!

I wonder how the organizers came up with that name?

Félix

Edited by dragoman 2005-01-31 10:16 AM
2005-01-31 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA

Tom:

I cannot believe you ran in that crap.  You are a warrior.

Is your lovely wife running the rescheduled race on Sunday afternoon? If so, see ya there!

Edited by aims 2005-01-31 10:23 AM

2005-01-31 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on a heck of race! I'm hoping my next 5k (in a couple of weeks) isn't covered with ice. It truly is a pain to get around on. Nice to see that you arrived safely back home too.

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Polar Bear Run Rss Feed