General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maintaining your peak Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-24 8:30 PM

Dover, OH
Subject: Maintaining your peak
I will be trying to do 4 triathlons this summer. The first is in June and then I hope to do one every 4 weeks thru September. How do I maintain my peak throughout the season? I am currently using the olympic distance training program that is on beginnertriathlete.

2004-02-25 5:41 AM
in reply to: #9191

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Subject: RE: Maintaining your peak
It's tough to keep a true peak for all 4 events but depending on the depth of your fitness, you can hold a peak for a month or so. Also keep in mind that you can still perform quite well even if you're not in 'peak' fitness.

Are any of these events a favorite, hometown, special significance? If so, these are your 'A' priority races.

The only difference between A priority versus B or C is the amount of specific preparation/taper you will do for this race.

So a couple options for planning: Either choose a race which is a top priority (favorite, friendly rivalry showing up, hometown, etc.) and pick that as your A priority. Or if all are equal, look at your preparation schedule to see how much time you've got to get into peak fitness.

Another determination of a peak is your current fitness level. If starting out, most of your work should be mostly endurance only meaning that a peak is best planned towards the end of the season. If you've got basic endurance skills as a strength, then you can figure out where in your schedule is a good time to begin the peaking process.

If you can tell me a bit about your current fitness level, any personal priorities of these races, and dates, I can help you with the schedule in the couple months leading up to the race.

Happy training,
Scott
(formerly from just down the road in Minerva, OH)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maintaining your peak Rss Feed