General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Most Effective Time to Train ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-30 9:08 AM

Subject: Most Effective Time to Train ???
hi i am a newbie here and i am training for my first tri , i usually do my training in the evening around 8 ( before this is not possible) , however i was thinking of getting up some days to train cause i figure at the start of the day you are bound to have more energy therefore you will have a more effective session  , anyone know which is the best time to train ?? I figure though i might be a bit sleepy in the morning  

2008-07-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1569438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Most Effective Time to Train ???

For me, the best time is whenever I have the time! 

It probably would be the closest to the time that you actually will have to race.  Beyond that, I can't imagine that either evening or morning would be that much better than the other. However, wiser heads around here may prevail.

2008-07-30 9:17 AM

Veteran
I'd recommend trying each a few times to see which feels better. I know people who do all their training in the evenings and can't stand getting up. On the other hand, I find it much easier to drag myself out of bed and get things done as early as possible. If I wait until the evening, everything is just that much harder.

As to the question of whether one time is empirically better than another, I know I've read about studies that suggest this time of day or that one. Fortunately, they tend to contradict each other, clarifying nothing.

I will say that my preference for morning training has caused a major lifestyle shift. I used to be something of a night owl. Now, though, I really only see 11 PM at times of special celebration. I'm fine with that, but I know that's not acceptable to some. As ever, YMMV.

Good on ya for starting up, and good luck finding the right time for you.
2008-07-30 9:26 AM

User image

Master
For most people, the work/family schedule dictates much of our training timing. I like to train mostly in the morning, when it's convenient for those reasons, it's cooler, and it's closer to the timing of races. I think it's also good to get some training in during the hot hours, though, because that's not a good first experience to have on race day.
2008-07-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1569486

tri_bob - 2008-07-30 3:17  I will say that my preference for morning training has caused a major lifestyle shift. I used to be something of a night owl. Now, though, I really only see 11 PM at times of special celebration. I'm fine with that, but I know that's not acceptable to some. As ever, YMMV. Good on ya for starting up, and good luck finding the right time for you.[/QUOTe

tri-bob if getting up in the morning to train resulted in me goin to bed earlier my husband would defo advocate this , Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Most Effective Time to Train ??? Rss Feed