Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kid's Meals High in Calories??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-04 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Kid's Meals High in Calories???

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10091988

I saw this article and just laughed.  Everyone knows that eating at these places allows you to get at least 2x the RDA of FAT and Calories.  And don't they realize that if one restaurant doesn't serve the good fatty foods, that kids won't drag their parents there.  Why would a restaurant do that?

Maybe instead the parents should be held responsible for taking they're kids there to start with.  And maybe after they eat thousands of calories, they should play with their kids rather than plopping them down in front of the TV or Game Console. 

Just saying.

2008-08-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1580171

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Kid's Meals High in Calories???
velocomp...

Maybe instead the parents should be held responsible for taking they're kids there to start with.  And maybe after they eat thousands of calories, they should play with their kids rather than plopping them down in front of the TV or Game Console. 

Just saying.

No way!!  That would involve actual parenting!

Seriously though, when I was a kid, McD's or other fast food was a TREAT, not the norm at all.  Even though it was a PITA to cook a real dinner at times when my Mom was working, we still ate in WAY, WAY more than we ever ate out.

2008-08-04 12:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-04 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1580242

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Sharkie - 2008-08-04 10:29 AM

I have to read up on it more but our schools are just as bad.. Every month they post a "Daily Nutritional Averages". Considering there is a wide variety of drinks from juices to fat free milk to fruit punch and the kids are given an open salad bar I don't know how exactly they derrive their information.. However, the daily calories are usually in the HIGH 800's.. They justify it by saying that it's the only meal that some of the children get..

Anyway.. my point is that it is up to parents to teach their kids how to make good choices...

My parents eat at McD's or BK pretty much 5 times a week, maybe more.   

2008-08-04 1:52 PM

Champion

What I find ironic is that this was actually classified as "Breaking News".  To me, this isn't breaking news this "stuff you should already know but we're going to point it out because you haven't learned yet".

On second thought, breakingnews is just easier to type in a url. 

2008-08-04 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1580218

BodyCheck - 2008-08-04 1:23 PM

Seriously though, when I was a kid, McD's or other fast food was a TREAT, not the norm at all.  Even though it was a PITA to cook a real dinner at times when my Mom was working, we still ate in WAY, WAY more than we ever ate out.

Same here.

I was talking to my mom over vacation and she was telling me about the school lunches at the elementary school where she works. They have pizza or something like pizza at least 5 times a month. They have SOFT PRETZELS  and NACHOS for a meal - with cheese sauce or whatever. There is an entire rack of chips and snacks, etc for them. I am totally drawing a blank as to what else she told me, but I remember that I was horrified by the choices, and that it was stuff that should NEVER be considered a meal.  The kids get vegetables as a side, but they're nasty and canned and no kid will ever eat them.

I went to the same school system that she works at and our lunches were not like that as kids. We did not have soft pretzel and nachos and pizza was maybe twice a month. There were not a whole ton of "snacks" in elementary school (more so in jr high and high school), and we had deli sandwiches and soup and pb&j. So when they served something gross like spaghetti and "meat sauce" with canned green beans (ew), I'd go get a ham and cheese sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mustard. But if a kid has a choice of NACHOS and a deli sandwich, of course they're going to take the nachos. I guess a lot of parents in the district have tried to get them to stop serving the junky stuff, but it hasn't happened.

2008-08-04 3:05 PM

Extreme Veteran

Newsflash!!  Fried chicken nuggets and french fries are high in fat and calories!!!

???

2008-08-05 12:18 PM

Master
San Diego, CA
velocomp - 2008-08-04 10:10 AM

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10091988

I saw this article and just laughed.  Everyone knows that eating at these places allows you to get at least 2x the RDA of FAT and Calories.  And don't they realize that if one restaurant doesn't serve the good fatty foods, that kids won't drag their parents there.  Why would a restaurant do that?

Just saying.

x2

The best part is people were actually surprised by this information.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kid's Meals High in Calories??? Rss Feed