Sportspectrum
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/65
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and put the bikes in the car. The real pre-race routine took place on the golf course the day before and at dinner the night before - had a very good time on Saturday and suffered a little on Sunday morning.
Event warmup:

Swam about 500 m before the race, didn't have time to get in any running or riding because we didn't leave our hotel until 6:30 and didn't anticipate the line of cars getting into the park. Made it to the transition area around 7:30 am.
Swim
  • 17m 22s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was not ready for the swim, think it was a combination of the water temp, maybe swimming a bit too much before the race started and the events from the day before. During the swim I kept telling myself that I knew I wasn't going to puke during the swim and not a chance of it happening on the bike, but once I got to the run it was going to happen...and hopefully at the finish line where somebody could photograph it.
What would you do differently?:

Not drink as much the day before and dump a bunch of ice cubes in the water before the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Took a bit to get my legs under me getting out of the water. Got all my gear on relatively quickly and was off. Must have been some people trying the shoe trick for the first time because there was a bit of congestion getting on the bike. I also forgot to reset my computer before the race, so I tried to do that while riding the first couple of minutes.

run faster to T1 and reset my computer before the race.
Bike
  • 53m 21s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 20.47 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride felt pretty good, I still hold back a bit so that I don't bonk during the run. After my experience in my first "big" tri I'm always fearful of going to hard and cramping on the run. I take it pretty easy on the hills and I know I could go harder, but that will come with time and experience.

This will become a re-occurring there - drink less the day before. Push a bit harder on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Congestion coming into transition, then the volunteers were blocking my rack and telling me to go all the way around. I told them "that's my rack right there" and they slowly got out of my way. Then I stumbled putting my shoes on. All in all it only cost me a few seconds. Had a long run out of transition, but the legs were feeling surprisingly well.

Not much other than work on my bike dismount
Run
  • 22m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out pretty quick and felt good, mile one marker came later than I thought it would and that feared me a bit, so I backed off until I knew how much further I had and could hear the music from the finish line. Quads started to cramp during the last mile, but it wasn't serious and definitely not unexpected.

I didn't puke like I thought I was going to at the beginning of the morning.

See similar sections above for swim and bike. May have kicked a bit harder, but I was somewhat afraid of the sand we ran through leading up to the finish. I could just see myself spraining an ankle and ending my first tri season with an injury and some dude passed me at the very end...grrr.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water, red beans and rice, bread with pulled pork and some fruit. Then we found the beer and enjoyed a couple of cold ones.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration from the day before and lack of sleep.

Event comments:

Great race, I plan on returning next year and finishing in under 1:30:00. Everybody said the race bag was worth your entry fee and it was the best goody bag I've ever received for a race (1 of 4).

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:22 | 800 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: Triangular out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 90F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:53:21 | 18.2 miles | 20.47 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Nice little course, there were a few areas when we were sharing a single lane with a couple of cars, but other than that it was nice. There was a guy that reminded me of a character from Waterboy cheering us on, so that was fun.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:32 | 03.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Nice little course through the park and I loved the small bit of trail running in the middle. I was able to pass a guy I had been riding with and running with the entire time and never looked back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes