General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Modifying Marathon Training Plan during Vacation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-09 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Modifying Marathon Training Plan during Vacation?

I know, it's not exactly triathlon, but lots of you also do marathons and whatnot and I don't know any running boards well enough to ask so...

I'm registered for my first marathon (!!) in November - Philly, yay!  It's the end of week 3 of training, and so far so good.  However, while checking my schedule for the upcoming months, I realized that week 15 (Hal Higdon Novice plan) falls squarely during our Disney vacation in late October!!  Of course, we all know that Disney = walking sixty million miles a day so NOW what do I do?  

Well, it looks like what I do is a 14 mile run the Saturday before I leave, arrival day (Sunday) is rest day, (this is where you guys come in: ) something about a 5 mile run, a 10 mile run, another 5 mile run, and then the day after I get back (Sunday) I do a 20 mile run.

Do I cut back on the running while I'm there, or do I HTFU and stick strictly to the plan?  I'm sure there will be a little playing it by ear once I'm there, but I'd like to at least go in with a plan and some places to run (without having to do 5 loops of a 2 mile trail around our resort, if there are other options).

Also, being a rookie distance runner (3 half-marathons, never run longer than the races), is it bad to do a long-distance run and then get on an airplane?  I've heard warnings here and there about blood clots in the legs and whatnot, but I don't know how much is Chicken Little and how much I should really take seriously.

Thanks y'all!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Modifying Marathon Training Plan during Vacation? Rss Feed