Prince Albert Triathlon Club
26C / 79F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 56m 19s
Overall Rank = 97/157
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Alarm was set for 4:45, but I was up long before that. Watched some Olympics coverage on t.v., had my oatmeal, yogurt, etc. Showered, got dressed, walked with bike to transition.

Set up bike, got numbered and my chip - then it started to rain. Fortunately the rain stopped shortly after that.
Event warmup:

Little spin on the bike with wind pants and sandals. (Sandals? A duh moment when I left and I didn't feel like going back to fix it.) Got on the wet suit and went for a little swim to get acclimatized - water was nice!
Swim
  • 27m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was chatting with a fellow I've helped coach with swimming, so I started closer to the back than usual.

In previous years, I have veered into the path of on-coming swimmers, so I took care to stay outside a bit.

Couldn't really find any good people to draft, but I was always around someone, so I tried to go from feet to feet.
What would you do differently?:

Could swim a little harder, start a little more ahead. A tad more sighting to stay closer to the main route.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Some issues getting out of my wetsuit. Couldn't wrap my brain around getting the biking shoes on my feet. Once I got my brain working, I was okay after that.

More T1 practice is required. Better layout of gear (I had left it in tub because of rain that fell earlier).
Bike
  • 2h 00m 23s
  • 62 kms
  • 30.90 km/hr
Comments:

I had originally hoped to really go hard on the bike, but I wasn't mentally into today. Then less than 10 k into the course, I saw Sarah R walking her bike back to town - she had no tube, no pump - so I stopped and gave her some stuff. I hoped the rest of the time that I wouldn't fall victim to the heaves and glass that so many others seemed to find... And I was fortunate.

The road was still wet from the pre-race shower, but not too bad. The occasional spray did a nice job cooling me down.

I didn't get passed that often. There was one guy (Clifford M?) that I traded positions with constantly. (He would pass me, and then shortly after that I'd catch him again.) The one passing that just deflated me was when Dana zoomed by after I finally passed her fixing a flat.

Not much wind, but some, and lots of false flats. I found a couple of parts really tough, where I just had to grind to get through.

It was a good ride, but it could have been better.

Better mental toughness. Push a little harder (my HR was pretty low for what should have been an intense race).
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Took a little extra time to get moleskin over blisters, which meant I spent a little extra time trying to get my socks on.

Not get blisters?
Run
  • 1h 24m 15s
  • 13 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I mostly ran, walking only through the aid stations, up the one big hill, and just a couple of "ugh" moments that I was able to get through. Felt pretty good.

More run training.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching and snacking, then packed stuff up and walked back to the motel. After drinking, eating, and cleaning up, went back to cheer in the last participants. Enjoyed a good visit at the post-race meal, but didn't win any of the draw prizes (that Trek TT bike would have been nice!) Max did win a couple of prizes for the volunteers, so I can't really complain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, not pushing hard enough on the bike.

Event comments:

I still love this race. It seemed they were short a few volunteers. Next year, this race falls the week after the Calgary 70.3 race that I just signed up for, so I'm not sure if I'll be up to doing the whole thing myself... maybe as a team?

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:09 | 1500 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 84/157
Performance: Average
Suit: Max's Orca wetsuist
Course: T-shaped course along Waskesiu Lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:00:23 | 62 kms | 30.90 km/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 65/157
Avg 145/Max 161 Max speed 57 kph
Wind: Some
Course: Waskesiu Drive to Lakeview Drive, and out and back along Highway 264. Lots of heaves and cracks.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:24:15 | 13 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 136/157
1 km - 4:45 146/151 (short - I think the sign was in the wrong spot) 3 km - 12:53 148/154 4 km - 6:39 149/152 7 km - 20:53 151/158 9 km - 13:04 156/159 10 km - 7:09 157/160 12 km - 13:28 155/159 13 km - 5:06 160/165 (short - see above)
Course: Waskesiu Drive, along old marina road, highway 264, to just past the marina road access
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-13 4:37 PM

User image

Subject: Frank Dunn Toyota Triathlon

2008-08-14 11:41 PM
in reply to: #1601643

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Subject: RE: Frank Dunn Toyota Triathlon
Good race karma helping out a fellow racer and great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frank Dunn Toyota Triathlon Rss Feed