Colorado Masters Running Association
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 24s
Overall Rank = 13/87
Age Group = Mens 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Kind of different preparing for a evening race. Ended up doing a smoothie at 3:30 then drove up there. Took out the Mtn Bike and tried to figure out the course. Once I got going in the right direction, I was able to find some arrows laid out in flour. Come to find out, they were marking the course just ahead of me. Did a second lap and then put the bike away. Registered and used "the stick" on my legs and back and saw Greyhound drive up.
Event warmup:

Ran out to the mile mark with Jason and then back to the start. Changed and then hit the facilities. Went back for a last drink and then headed to the start.
Run
  • 21m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Base on my last race, figured I could be top 20 so with the wide road start for the first 1/4 mile set myself up in the second or third row so I would not have too much traffic to deal with. At the start bunch went off and I slotted in behind them. Had a couple of people pass me and then we hit the trails. I think I did the first 1/4 in 1:35 and hit the 1/2 in 3:30. Slowed as we started uphill. Passed a couple of folks and then just settled in. Slowly gaining of a two folks ahead of me. Tried to just focus on the effort level at the time and not think about the past or be overly concerned with what lied ahead. Allowed the HR to go a little higher than I had been "comfortable with" in the past since it was a little warmer and since I didn't have to ride afterward. Felt like I slowed in the next mile and the 1.5 and 2 miles splits confirmed this. Wanted to keep the effort solid, not let anyone pass me and try to work on the one person ahead of me that I thought I could catch. I was gaining and then he took a turn when he should have went straight, I yelled up to him to get him back on course (cutting my deficit in half) and then at another point, he went straight when he should have turned. I passed him as I stayed on course and hollered out to him again. He adjusted and stayed behind me on this short little hill (happy birthday to him - it was his 55th B-day today). This is where my HR maxed out even though I tried to maintain the effort level and allow the speed to drop. From this point on, it was pretty much downhill to the finish (about a 45 foot descent). I wanted to keep everyone behind me. I picked it up a little on the eastbound portion and then as we hit the corner, I knew there was about 1/4 mile left so I started picking it up. Felt good and raised a little more as I crossed the 3 mile mark. Saw the clock and realized I could break 21:30 (my goal for the season) so I pushed a little more. Hit the line and I made it. Dropped my PR!!!! (Or at least my Adult Onset Runner PR - still have 3:22 to go for my lifetime PR)
What would you do differently?:

Start a little slower so I could be stronger in the second mile?

Post race
Warm down:

Some water and then a 3/4 mile jog

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sleep more instead of staying up for the Olympic coverage/midnight feeding?

Event comments:

Another CMRA race, didn't come home with any door prizes but this is such a great value

Last updated: 2008-06-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:24 | 03.11 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 13/87
Performance: Good
6:49 - 7:10 - 7:25 (1.1) Max HR 190 , Elevation change 91 feet,
Course: Road start then horse trails, looping through a softball complex and then back to the start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-14 12:16 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Fairmount 5K Trail

2008-08-14 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1602371

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: RE: Fairmount 5K Trail
A new addition to your family and a PR in the same short period of time?!?  Nice.
2008-08-15 11:30 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
Awesome!!!!  13th o'all is fabulous  
2008-08-17 10:21 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
great race Scott!  great to see you out there !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fairmount 5K Trail Rss Feed