General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-07 10:53 PM

Subject: Swimming Endurance
Hello All,

This is my first ever post. I am new to multi-sport, but am very enthused. I have recently started taining for my first tri; the Race for Sight, in Columbia, Missouri.

I feel very comfortable with running and biking, and I have made great strides in each over the past year. I have a good endurance base, and thought swimming would be a snap - but it is not! I have been training twice a week for the past 2 months, and progress has been very slow.

I have no formal training, but have read a few books, and have done research on this website, and others, on executing the proper free-style swim stroke.

During each workout, I warm up with 50 meters, and then swim as far as I can without stopping. I have plateau'ed at 150 meters - that is all I can do without stopping. Then, after that, I just do 50's, over and over, with some rest between each one. I can't get past the 150 meter mark, and my tri requires a 300 meter swim! I am a bit discouraged, and would love some advice.

I realize that I should get some proper instruction - but other than that, any ideas for improving my endurance in the pool? I don't even care about doing it fast, at this point, I just want to do it!

Thanks for your time.

2005-02-07 10:59 PM
in reply to: #114186

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Swimming Endurance
Iam a first timer too and I had the same problem at first. Iam no expert...not even close...but it seemed as soon as I got my breathing down everything got easier. Exhaling seemed key.

Good luck with everything
2005-02-07 11:05 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.

Swimming takes time to improve.  For me it took about 9 weeks of determined workouts to become marginally better.  Over time my swimming has improved but it still is my weakest sport.  One thing that really helped me was to slow everything down about my swimming.  I went from being about to do 3 or 4 laps at about :45 pace per lap to being able to do virtually endless laps at 1:00-1:05 pace.  Also, training is the most fun when doing your best sport not your worst but the only way to truely improve is to practice practice practice.  And then practice some more.  Keep at it and everything will come together.  I only swim because you have to do it to get to the bike (which is my favorite and most neglected in training).  Good luck!

2005-02-07 11:08 PM

Elite Veteran
I was where you were a year ago. I only wish I would have discovered a Masters class or hired a coach sooner. If that isn't possible, I'd suggest slowing down if speed isn't a consideration. If you can swim 150 meters and then lots of 50 meter sets, then you'll be able to put it all together come race day. Don't worry.

If you want to swim 300 yards continuously tomorrow, just slow down. You're already doing the distance. Concentrate on rotating side to side with a good reach, and swim slow. You'll be able to swim a 300 meter set.

Please let us know how it goes.
2005-02-08 12:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
I felt the same way...

BUT..

I found the best advice HERE on this website.

I was swimming like I always did. Breathing every third stroke. But this fatigues you quickly....only enough to get you through the swim.

I started breathing EVERY stroke......Yes...EVERY single time my arm came out...so did my mouth.

I went from swimming 250 meters....to swimming 2.4 miles.

Sometimes it feels as if I could swim forever. When I get out....I DO feel like I could just take off running....

You need the extra oxygen...don't labor your body...think of the swim as your warm up to get the oxygen and blood into all your muscles....and relax.

Once I relaxed and quit worrying about going farther I noticed I was swimming faster.

Good Luck.
2005-02-08 12:27 AM

New user

Abu Dhabi
Guys,
Swimming is 90% technique.
Being fit, motivated and enthusiastic will only result in a lot of wasted energy unless you can get moving through the water. Please believe that I now only too well how you feel.
What you need is a good swimming club, proper coaching and then hours in the water. It’s the only way to improve your technique, now before you develop all those bad habits.

Further - just so you have something to look forward to - if you think swimming is exhausting now just wait until you start those drills at the club!!

Regards
Craig

2005-02-08 12:20 PM

New user
Michigan
Keep swimming. I was even worse when I started swimming. It was 25 meter and a break, another 25 meter and another break. But I kept swimming - 4 1-hr sessions per week. After two months a breakthrough (that a lot of people have mentioned often) came. At first I swam 300 m, then 500, and few weeks later the entire 1,500. So, keep swimming, keep working on your technique. It is strange, because it is not a gradual improvement in your swimming endurance. It comes suddenly - you go from almost no endurance, to effortless swimming.
Good luck!
2005-02-08 12:52 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
First of all, based on what you said, you CAN do 300 meters today.

I used to think the same way - how could doing short intervals enable you to swim long? I was barely able to swim 100 yds at a time - so I just worked on form, in 100 yd repeats. Then one day I said I was going to time myself for one mile, even if I had to stop. But, I made it through no stopping. I couldn't believe it.

So, what you're doing now is fine to build endurance. You may want to change it a bit to instead of doing "as far as you can", do a structured workout. First, make sure your total distance is at least your race distance - 300 meters. Then start with alot of shorter repititions, such as 6x50, then build to fewer, but longer repititions.

And most importantly - Concentrate on form and efficiency, not on speed.
2005-02-08 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Most of the feedback here has been right on, but I wanted to add a couple of specific drills to practice that will help build your endurance in the long run:

1) Kick on your side, no board. This will start getting you on your side and improve your balance in the water.
2) Shark Fin drill. More side balance work plus the beginning of a stroke. You will be sinking a bit on this and looking a bit foolish but it really helps!

For more, I've got several articles and old newsletters on my website: www.triswimcoach.com

Good luck!
Kevin

Edited by Tri Swim Coach 2005-02-08 4:56 PM
2005-02-08 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Its much more about technique than endurance. When I started I was able to swim 7-800 yards but could barly swim a single mile. I highly recomend Total Imersion. use either the books or the video, but use it. I can now easily swim 1600 yards and have only been swimming since November.
2005-02-09 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would probably bump up the days that you are in the pool from 2 times a week to 3-4. You don't have to do this for a long time just to get over your hump. If you can do 150 today and have been for almost two months I know you can do 300 yds no problem. Slow down. My coach always told me he didn't care how fast I finished a workout that I just finished it. If you have to breathe every stroke do so until you feel comfortable otherwise. I would hire a coach for an hour or ask someone to evaluate your stroke. You could be doing something so isignificant that you don't realize your doing it. Last year I had my stoke evaluate and I found out that the first 6-8 inches of my pull underwater were with my pinky. Once I got that corrected I felt like a fish in the water I was moving so fast without any effort. Don't get frustrated. Keep working hard and you will see some positive results.

Mike

2005-02-09 5:16 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THere is great advice here! Practice some of the drills suggested. Get TI. Read tricoach's newsletters.

Try breaking up your sets in a different way. Drill for some warm up, then do some slow 100m sets with a full recovery inbetween. Shorten the recovery interval without speeding up your swim. THink long strokes. Make the smallest path through the water. Learn to balance on your back & on your side. Kick without a board on your side or your back. all of these drills are more helpful when mastered than increasing the brute force you are using in the water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Endurance Rss Feed