EndorFun
6080F / 3360C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 41m 23s
Overall Rank = 46/1503
Age Group = Male 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/29
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 03:00 because I had about a 45 min drive from the hotel to the race venue. When Dad and I arrived at the park, I relaxed until 04:45 and then made my way over to the transition and body marking. My wave was scheduled to go off at 07:40, so I had a bit of time before beginning my warm up, and just relaxed.
Event warmup:

At 07:00 I went out for my 10 min run to get my legs moving. I felt surprisingly good as I began my warm up, and began really getting into the mood to race hard.
Swim
  • 34m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very disappointed with my swim performance. I never felt good at any point in the swim. My shoulders were sore almost immediately and I was never able to get my breathing into a good rhythm. I knew it was going to be slow, but I wasn't expecting anything quite as bad as 34:18.
What would you do differently?:

There was nothing that I could do at this point, but I have a lot to work on until next summer. This poor performance came at a good time to really push me to do something about my (lack of) swimming ability.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

This was my cleanest mount this season, which made me happy. It was also pretty cool to have help taking off my wetsuit going into transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to go sub-2:30:00 on this leg, and am glad to say that I had a pretty good ride. By starting in such a late wave, there was a constant stream of cyclists that I had to pass. This was good and bad as I always had something to try to catch, but I also had to do a lot of maneuvering through both bicycle and vehicular traffic for the entire race.

Around mile 53 I hit a nasty pothole while trying to avoid slow cyclists and passing cars. I heard a very loud crack and looked down, glad to see my computer hitting the ground behind me. I was terrified it wasn't something that would end my race, such as my fork or a wheel.

Maybe take it slightly easier to conserve some strength for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I had the cleanest dismount of the season today, as well. I did a good job of getting off my bike and getting through the transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 35m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

For how I felt, I was happy with the way I pushed myself through the later miles of the race. My first few miles were at a good pace, but the middle half of the race was particularly slow.

For what I had in me, I did well. This is not at all the runner I want to be, however. I know I can be much faster than this because I have been there before. This gives me a good focus for the off-season.
Post race
Warm down:

My legs were pretty toasted by the end of this race, so I didn't want to do any additional running, but did stretch for about 15 minutes almost as soon as I could.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Simply my (lack of) swimming and running ability. I have a lot of work to so in both disciplines over the coming months.

Overall, considering the fact that I felt terrible in the water and that I have poor running fitness going into the race, I pushed as hard as I could and still managed to PR thanks to a strong bike leg.

Event comments:

This was my first experience with a race of this scale and I was not disappointed. There are not enough good things I can say about this race in terms of its organization and preparation. Awesome race.

Last updated: 2007-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/29
Overall: 277/1503
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Z2
Course: A point-to-point clockwise rectangular swim in Lake Winnipesaukee. The water was not as cold as I expected, and was remarkably clean. There was a slight chop, but nothing very bad.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:27:39 | 56 miles | 22.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 29/1503
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A challenging one-loop course. There were a few tough climbs, but the majority of the ride was rather flat and fast.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:35:54 | 13.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/29
Overall: 87/1503
Performance: Average
Course: A tough, two-loop course. There were a few tough hills, but nothing too detrimental.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes